Fox Hound

[LDD MOC] 71,000 piece, 13-foot Super Star Destroyer

I would seriously consider building this. I'm new this forum and would like to get in touch with the designer.

Hi, and welcome to Eurobricks!

You need to make 10 (good) posts before you'll be able to use the PM system :classic:

I'd consider buying the instructions if a build was possible. It would be a very long-term project though, months and years rather than weeks.

WOW! That is very impressive. If this could be converted to real bricks it would make one hell of a display. Good luck with your fund-raising.

Don't consider what I'll say as harsh or mean, but I really want to give you my thoughts since your model is a true wonder.

I fear you'll end up with a 20,000$ pile of plastic glued on a steel frame laying in your living room as there is no way to move it...

I'm probably wrong, but I think there are only a few here who have built models of that size (ok, models of half that size). Anio and I happen to have build 1,50m long Executors so I think we know what we are speaking of. The problems we faced, you'll face them... more than twice.

You should really consider splitting up the build:

- the upper hulls could be separated in 3,

- the rear underside with the engines could be one part,

- the structure could be also designed to be splitted

And you should build a lego frame. Anio could tell you that a 2,50m long Venator is buildable 100% lego, and that it's difficult to move it entirely assembled.

People in the technic forum could help you build a very resistant structure, some of them build bridges that support more than 50kg.

I know you are limited by LDD (I have an abandonned design with 40,000 bricks, I think you know why...), but maybe you could split the 4 hulls, the rear undercity and the frame in different files.

I sincerely hope you'll be able to build that "monster" :classic:

Thanks for your input! I'll take it under advisement. Recall, I also built a 7-foot, 30,000 piece, 24 Kg Mon Calamari. In fact there were some nervous moments where my hand was keeping it from splitting in two. Also, If I build my SSD in a garage, I wouldn't have to worry about moving it down stairs etc.

As for the modular issue, gimme me a blueprint of what you have in mind, than I'll think about it :)

In addition to Anio and Bob de Quatre; over at MOC pages Sylvain Ballivet has built erik varszegi's venator without the original steel structure and is currently building one 16,4 feet long. Maybe getting into contact with him will get you some tips on how to achieve an internal structure of 100% LEGO.

Sylvain's last entry for his giant Venator was 18 months ago. Is he even continuing to build it? Maybe it was just impractical. You double a ship's L/W/H and the weight goes up by a factor of 8. If his 8-footer was 80 Kg, his 16 footer should be around 640 Kg! And the stresses would increase by a similar factor. This is why elephants don't look like giant mice. Their legs need to be EXPONENTIALLY THICKER. Also, given the cost of tiles, a 320,000 piece model would cost upwards of $100,000!

As for my SSD, A pure Lego build is out of the question. It doesn't possess the HEIGHT required to remain firm along its length. She'll be too flimsy. For eg: A 1 cm thick 3'x12' Plexiglas slab bends A LOT MORE than a 2-inch 3'x12' slab of much heavier weight. She'll bend, no matter what you try and do.

I would seriously consider building this. I'm new this forum and would like to get in touch with the designer.

You'd better be offering me money to build it!!!!! :) You can e-mail me at Eagle1_VFA_113@hotmail.com.

I'd consider buying the instructions if a build was possible. It would be a very long-term project though, months and years rather than weeks.

To all you people asking about instructions: Are you bloody insane!!! :) There would be at least 10,000 steps, and you'd have to sell your soul for the necessary parts. In fact, lemme give you a little piece breakdown: 2x2 tiles -- 4400. 1x2 tiles -- 5600. 1x1 tiles -- 5,000, 1x2 Jumper Bricks 11,200!

Even if you literally bought up every tile on Bricklink, you'd still be short!

Sylvain's last entry for his giant Venator was 18 months ago. Is he even continuing to build it? Maybe it was just impractical. You double a ship's L/W/H and the weight goes up by a factor of 8. If his 8-footer was 80 Kg, his 16 footer should be around 640 Kg! And the stresses would increase by a similar factor. This is why elephants don't look like giant mice. Their legs need to be EXPONENTIALLY THICKER. Also, given the cost of tiles, a 320,000 piece model would cost upwards of $100,000!

As for my SSD, A pure Lego build is out of the question. It doesn't possess the HEIGHT required to remain firm along its length. She'll be too flimsy. For eg: A 1 cm thick 3'x12' Plexiglas slab bends A LOT MORE than a 2-inch 3'x12' slab of much heavier weight. She'll bend, no matter what you try and do.

I didn't know who you were before you mentioned your "Mon Calamari"(should have followed your first link). You obviously have way more experience than most of the people here. I believe the giant venator was a commission, but I didn't realise it has been that long since his last post. And for what it is worth, seeing your earlier work, you do have the credentials to be entrusted with LEGO's money.

Stunning, especially since the shape of the under hull structure are really like how they are supposed to look...

Since I'm building (trying to) build a 1.70m long SSD myself, my first comment was "that will bend to death", but then, as I was reading the various reply, both Anio and Bob de Quatre comment made me just stunned.

The details are more impressive that the size, especially the area around the motor, it's so perfect...

As said by many here, unless you plan on building this in space, there's no way it wouldn't collapse under its own weight. It'd be great if LDD had stress detection but oh well.

Still, pulling this off in LDD is an accomplishment of its own, great job.

wow! amazing!!!!!! :thumbup:

really nice renders as well, best I've ever seen! it actually fooled me to beleive that it was real! :tongue:

I sense that the force is strong with this one :vader:

Holy mother of God! That is the most incredibly LEGO model I have ever seen!! *oh2* If you do sell the file - I'm down to get a copy (if for no other reason but to support your great effort)! Incredibly work!

I think you could find 5 or 6 people who have enough money and would be willing to purchase the pieces for themselves to make it as well as pay for 1/5 or 1/6 of the cost to fund yours as payment for the LDD.

I'm not sure which I'm most stunned by, the excellence of the model or the scale of the labour put in to designing it. Whichever it is, it's an amazing achievement. Fantastic work.

Let me know when the file is available, I would be interested.

Not saying we would be this would be a great club build.

First off, let me echo the exclamatory sentiments of the previous posters. This model really deserves the overused moniker of "epic". Just breathtaking.

I'd like to offer a few thoughts on your idea of selling the file. I sell lots and lots of instructions for Technic models in the several thousand part range. In my experience, about $20 is the maximum fee you can expect people to pay for a really good model with full instructions. In this case, you are talking about just the file with no instructions. The vast majority of your potential buyers are going to be people with no intention of ever building this behemoth, they'll just want to look at it. With that in mind, I'd recommend you charge $10. Of course this does not properly compensate you for the time and effort you put into the design, but you probably never expected to actually profit from the whole thing.

Finally, PM me if you are interested in some renders. A couple of years ago I rendered Kevin Walters' Klingon Bird of Prey which has about 300,000 parts. I had to write my own code and use a 64-bit machine capable of addressing 32 GB of RAM to even parse it, let alone render it. But in the end, I got some great images.

400x300.jpg400x225.jpg

What is sad, though, such amounts of details can't be done in half the scale of that monster, I don't have the room nore the money for something that big, that's why I stopped at 1.80m long max, but it's hard to get the details or shape correctly.

Really nice creation ! Working on a 40.000 part MOC myself, I can easily imagine the time and energy you've spent designing your SSD. I'm sure you'll find a way to build it for real ! Good luck !

Edited by samlr

Unbelievable! Fox Hound, that is one amazing LDD MOC. Like others have said, the detail is fantastic. I love the city-scape on the top, and how you painstakingly recreated it from the movie models. Really nice work!

Now, don't throw anything at me, but I'm curious as to your choice of design of the bridge tower. I know it would be tough to get the right angles with the current scale, but did you try other bricks besides a couple of inverted slopes? I'm just curious. :classic: