Fox Hound

[LDD MOC] 71,000 piece, 13-foot Super Star Destroyer

I want to change the wallpaper on my computer screen for some time now.

This render will be perfect for that purpose !

I knew you would like it! :grin:

Here is one final render showing the whole ship. It is a boring isometric view, but we needed at least one of them.

640x360.jpg

Are you selling/sharing your smaller ISD design? I'd love to get my hands on that.

It's mine, actually. Download link for the LXF in that post.

It's mine, actually. Download link for the LXF in that post.

Aaah, dear mod thanks for informing ME of that, I expressed my drooling for that model in a second reply to the OP :sad:

Now that I've induced severe remorse, that is one amazing model, great work! :wub:

And... thanks, for real now! :wink:

I am in total awe looking at this mammoth project! Just trying to imagine the incredible amount of time and effort went into designing this almost makes my head hurt. We have seen some pretty amazing Executor MOCs on this forum, all of them brilliant pieces of art in their own right, but I think you just raised the bar by a few levels with this mindblowing design. Well done! To actually build this for real is a very ambitious plan, but I sincerely hope you find a way to make it happen!

I don't have any experience with large scale projects like this, so unfortunately I can't be of any help there, but I hope you don't mind me giving some feedback on two minor visual details that caught my eye. One is a black antenna at the front of the city. It seems to be the only antenna visible, and both the shape and color don't match the rest of the greebling and rather make it stick out like a sore thumb. If it is really nescessary to have an antenna there, i would suggest to at least try and match the color to the rest.

The other detail that does not quite seem to meet the high quality of the model, is the bridge. I took the liberty of trying a few configurations in LDraw, and i think i have come up with an alternative suggestion for the bridge:

executor_bridge.jpg

It's width is slightly less compared to the inverted slopes you currently use, and it's a bit higher than the 1 stud you were talking about in a previous comment, but overall i think this matches the look of the bridge pretty well. I hope you find it useful.

And again, well done on this impressive design!

DFOL

Thanks for the bridge design, I'll give it a try! I actually remember making that antenna gray at one point, but it looked terrible. It's funny, many people never even notice that color issue until it's pointed out It's one of those odd psychological effects.

I actually remember making that antenna gray at one point, but it looked terrible. It's funny, many people never even notice that color issue until it's pointed out It's one of those odd psychological effects.

I noticed it immediately. My eyes were drawn to it, and I couldn't unsee it after that! :laugh:

Hi Fox. Having studied the Executor film model obsessively, I have to comment on your herculean undertaking. My only problem is that I find myself lost for words - well almost ;)

Your model dwarfs the film model and captures almost EVERY detail. Not compare in any way, but I did a rebuild of the rather clumsy 10221, and added as much detail I could using the film model. Needless to say, at that scale, there were a lot of compromises and places where I simply had to interpret the source material rather freely to get the desired 'feel' rather than look.

Your model seems to abandon the notion of compromise, but I am curious. Looking at your model nothing seems out of place - maybe the width between the upper and lower hull is ever so slightly too wide, but I am not certain. Do you have any areas you still would like to improve upon? And how have you built it without a core – is the design even feasible? :)

Edited by mortesv

I don't have the space to build such a mamouth, but... maybe half of it, crashed in the death star would be fun to build....I'm only half jocking:)

Hi Fox. Having studied the Executor film model obsessively, I have to comment on your herculean undertaking. My only problem is that I find myself lost for words - well almost ;)

Your model dwarfs the film model and captures almost EVERY detail. Not compare in any way, but I did a rebuild of the rather clumsy 10221, and added as much detail I could using the film model. Needless to say, at that scale, there were a lot of compromises and places where I simply had to interpret the source material rather freely to get the desired 'feel' rather than look.

Your model seems to abandon the notion of compromise, but I am curious. Looking at your model nothing seems out of place - maybe the width between the upper and lower hull is ever so slightly too wide, but I am not certain. Do you have any areas you still would like to improve upon? And how have you built it without a core – is the design even feasible? :)

Thanks for the kind words, mortesv!

The trench does seem a bit wide, but I happen to like the way it looks. Bob is also right, she's too narrow, by about 8-10 studs. You can tell because the left and right engines are too close together -- I think I used the resin model for a guide when I began the design. Stupid disproportionate resin model! And the city is a bit too narrow and low by 2/3 a stud. It "pops out" more in the studio model. And the tail is 4 studs too long, and needs to slope inward more. Whew. I'm exhausted :)

You can see how problematic this can get. In fact, even the "perfect" reference guides are not so perfect. This was Aeroeza's render based off sketches:

6932323465_53598c445b_z.jpg

As you can see, the ridgeline of the city in the tail should not be straight.

1r24executor.jpg

And the engine flap in the middle is much wider in the studio model. And (not shown here) the flap in the belly groove is too narrow. And overall, I still think this render is a bit too wide-- Ahhhh! You see how frustrating this is? In the end, you have to borrow design elements from 10 different sources.

You also have to take into account inherent Lego size issues. At 12.5 feet, her engine cowlings should technically be something like 5.22 studs wide, well, I only have rims 5.5 studs wide. Her city blocks should be 3.63 studs wide. Well, I need an integer. I'll use 4.

The real question now is should I bother to make adjustments during construction, or just build the ship exactly the way it is? Make her MY interpretation. I'm not quite sure yet.

I think you will find in a build of this size that you will be making changes as you build it regardless. Might as well tweak it to absolute perfection during the build process. You seem to be a man that is very detail oriented, building it without making the changes will only haunt you later, maybe even after it's too late to do something about it.

Hi Fox, I completely understand your frustrations :) It is nice to hear your thoughts on the tough choices you did with this build, but I must say that I consider your model about a as perfect as can be :thumbup:. Personally I always find things I would change to my models and I suspect you'll continue to do so for several years with this model :)

But, where will you place the support/legs?

PS: I am glad the research Aeroeza did for my project has been a been a reference to you ;)

hello,

[seriously speaking]

Do you have a shareable* LDD and an inventory list (or at least an inventory list) ?

* shareable: you are willing to share for free or sell) AND can be used without having a NSA computer

Hi Fox, I completely understand your frustrations :) It is nice to hear your thoughts on the tough choices you did with this build, but I must say that I consider your model about a as perfect as can be :thumbup:. Personally I always find things I would change to my models and I suspect you'll continue to do so for several years with this model :)

But, where will you place the support/legs?

PS: I am glad the research Aeroeza did for my project has been a been a reference to you ;)

Yes it will haunt my dreams for many years. I'll place one support beam right in front of the engine section. That's the center of mass. At least, that's where the studio model's is.

hello,

[seriously speaking]

Do you have a shareable* LDD and an inventory list (or at least an inventory list) ?

* shareable: you are willing to share for free or sell) AND can be used without having a NSA computer

I think it will crash most people's LDD. But an inventory list is useless given she's hollow / missing 30% of final parts.

one support in front of the engine section sound about right, even in my 1.80m SSD, I've placed it here, seems the balance point is there indeed:)

The design of it is truly amazing :thumbup: , but this is only the outside i think and have no inner struction so far?!

For building the inner struction you needed twice as much parts till so far :wink: .

Edited by VFracingteam

The real question now is should I bother to make adjustments during construction, or just build the ship exactly the way it is? Make her MY interpretation. I'm not quite sure yet.

If it were me, I'd want it to be my interpretation.

Amazing work.