Fox Hound

[LDD MOC] 71,000 piece, 13-foot Super Star Destroyer

That's certainly one for lego to consider building for display. I would love to see pictures of the real build. Great digital build!

H :thumbup:

For 70,000 parts, I am pretty sure that you can fund the model with "only" 15000€. Since there are a lot of small pieces, the price may be even lower than that.

Whatever. I doubt you will raise that amount of money by selling the LDD file.

You should see if :

a) you can be in touch with the Lego Group. They spend much more money for some of their project which are IMO way less impressive (the big X-Wing in New York was kind of boring). If you consider that possiblity, I can help you to be in touch with people from Lego Danemark.

b) crow-funding might also be an option. With all the geeks and Star Wars fans in the world, it may work ! ^^

But first, you have to make sure the model will not collapse because of its own weight, and that it is transportable (with either a modular build or a very strong build). Because an Lego Executor like that would certainly participate in several Lego and Star Wars exhibitions.

I should point out that due to severe LDD crash issues at 38,000 pieces, there is NO INTERIOR. The final model will need an additional 30,000 -- (God knows how many) pieces of structural support. And it will need to be built on a steel frame AND superglued together. So the final price will be in the 20,000 Euro range.

As for getting in touch with TLG. I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Thanks! However, I doubt I have the credentials for them to entrust me with that kind of money :(

Kickstarter is a serious consideration.

As for a modular build, it could never happen. The model slopes in too many directions. It would need to be shipped in a 13-foot STURDY crate.

Seeing a picture from the top, I think it's maybe a little too narrow, but like every other Executor that have been built.

Sadly I don't think you'll be able to sell the instructions... You should listen to what Anio said about funding.

You'll need a strong structure inside to support the weight and avoid bending of the rear, and at least 3 or 4 sections to be able to transport it.

Have you an idea on how to display it? You certaily have to cut trough that hull to add feets :wink:

a) She's perfect dammit!!! :) In fact, since the ILM model's never been properly captured from a high and flat shot, it's hard to judge what her true angles are. My version is definitely wider than most Computer game models of the SSD.

b) This isn't a giant Hogwarts! The 3D slope of the wings prevents cutting it into pieces.

I would LOVE to see a good render of this ship, with background, shading, dust, glare, engine blast and ..... You would probable sell more of zhose images/posters, than LDDs.

Dino

I'm not an FX guy. If you know someone who is. Lemme know!

What I have seen is that typical instructions for, let's say, a modular building sell for around $10. And they sell 200 copies of them if it's a nice enough model. That's pdf instructions for a proven model. You want to sell the digital file, without really knowing if it is structurally sound. That's for really hardcore builders, and there aren't that many around (excluding the nice folks around here).

Get some "corporate" sponsors, because I too would want to see this thing in real bricks.

You're right. There are no instructions, or supports. But this isn't for builders. I thought casual LDD'ers might want to just screw around with it on computer. But the consensus is obvious.

You guys think I should scrap the Ebay sale all together and try Kickstarter instead? If no one here wants to buy it, maybe I'm wasting my time.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw this. I'm sorry to hear you can't afford this, it would look superb in real life! I also wish I had money to buy that file. Still cool though!

Any person who still thinks Lego is 'just for kids' should take one long gander at this astoundingly amazing design. Pure sweet beautiful perfection at its finest.

OMG! Any way you can share the LDD file for some performance testing?

Trust me it won't run well, if at all. I have his incomplete version (half an Executor, just under 50k pieces) and my LDD crashed the first time. It wanted to set compatibility mode even though it was already set at the lowest. When I finally got it open, it was hard to just rotate the view or change one piece, the frame rate was at anemic 5 seconds per frame. My computer has dual XEON and LDD, being poorly coded, only used one core out of 24 possible cores. Memory wasn't an issue. Just lots of polygons to compute and display. Maybe LEGO can check into multi-threading LDD in future updates (or with LDD 5.0) so it'd benefit from multi-core and multi-CPU computers.

PS unless the creator tells me its OK, the file I have will not be shared at all. I got it only to help with the POV rendering. Funny though it took my computer about 1 hour just to process part list, then about 2 hours to do a 1920x1200 render at default setting, using all 24 processes.

Trust me it won't run well, if at all.

That's what I'm worried about, Lego Otaku. If I sell the LDD file, the last thing I need is someone complaining it won't run on their computer and they want a refund. Or what if they can't render it? Are they gonna bombard me with questions?

BTW, thanks to Lego Otaku for rendering the first pic!

Hi

congratulation being frontpaged!

Is there a way to convert the LDD file losless into some mor common in the 3D world like DXF or 3DS?

Those professional 3D construction programs and renderers are using multi core and kulti processors pkus all available of RAM.

Dino

:wacko: Holy crap. That is amazing.

The immense scale is such that on a quick glance at the 3rd and 4th images in the OP, it doesn't even look like Lego - it looks like an actual film model. :wub:

Don't consider what I'll say as harsh or mean, but I really want to give you my thoughts since your model is a true wonder.

I fear you'll end up with a 20,000$ pile of plastic glued on a steel frame laying in your living room as there is no way to move it...

I'm probably wrong, but I think there are only a few here who have built models of that size (ok, models of half that size). Anio and I happen to have build 1,50m long Executors so I think we know what we are speaking of. The problems we faced, you'll face them... more than twice.

You should really consider splitting up the build:

- the upper hulls could be separated in 3,

- the rear underside with the engines could be one part,

- the structure could be also designed to be splitted

And you should build a lego frame. Anio could tell you that a 2,50m long Venator is buildable 100% lego, and that it's difficult to move it entirely assembled.

People in the technic forum could help you build a very resistant structure, some of them build bridges that support more than 50kg.

I know you are limited by LDD (I have an abandonned design with 40,000 bricks, I think you know why...), but maybe you could split the 4 hulls, the rear undercity and the frame in different files.

I sincerely hope you'll be able to build that "monster" :classic:

This is just as crazy as your introduction... (yeah i read that, wasn't sure if it was serious or not)

Jawdropping impressive tho, but have you thought about where to display it? The sheer size of this monster is something alot of AFOL's would have trouble with, parking it in their lego room. (well you could park it in your driveway, but that might not be safe) :laugh:

Thanks for sharing this! :thumbup:

You can convert the LDraw file to 3DS. And yes, thank you Erdbeereis for putting it on the front page! And for Brickdoctor for blogging it! And for all your kind words!

Here's a clear engine shot:

render-flip-small.png

What on earth?! Since I first saw this ship drifting by in short scenes of the original SW movies, I was faszinated.

I have never seen a "model" which honors the original the way this awesome LEGO behemoth does.

In addition to Anio and Bob de Quatre; over at MOC pages Sylvain Ballivet has built erik varszegi's venator without the original steel structure and is currently building one 16,4 feet long. Maybe getting into contact with him will get you some tips on how to achieve an internal structure of 100% LEGO.

Inzanity RULES!!!

I prefer to leave a long comment about what i like and dislike, But i LOVE!! all of this, i got the lego set og this, but it looks like the set can fit in the "city area" alone. hehe. This is just mindblowing as it can be.

That enginebay is a true masterpiece.

Fantastic work. I would like to see it for real =)

Absolutely Insane...and i mean that in regards to the final product, the time spent, and the frustration gone thru.

It's amazing, words cannot........

n.b. How Swooshable is it?.

:) jk

Wow this is just incredible. Words cannot describe how amazing this is.

Just used my tape measure to see how long 13 feet is. *oh2* Holy Star Destroyers thats long. That wouldn't even fit in my room.

If you do manage to build this with real bricks all I can say is good luck. :thumbup::classic:

If you glue bricks and use a steel frame, the structure should require way less than 30,000 bricks.

Just imagine. The whole "outside", with all these tiny pieces, is made out of 71,000 elements.

The structure has no details, and require big parts. If you use glue and a metal frame, you will need even less bricks.

I am pretty sure that 15,000 bricks should be enoug to do a good structure.

I PMed you. :)

Wow. My hats off to you sir.

I'll be amazed if you do build this physically as you've done an excellent job digitally.

Congrats on being frontpaged!

Again, I'm amazed :wub:

Edited by Sir Brickalot

You mean how many volumes. :laugh: :laugh: It'd probably end up like Encyclopedia Britannica!

That depends on whether the instructions are in the style of TLG instructions from the 80's or TLG instructions nowadays. :tongue: