lostdriveway

WIP - Town Layout - Brickeyville

So its been a few years coming but for my birthday yesterday my folks gave me some tables and plywood so I can start on my City Layout.

The layout itself will consist of 6 tables with a 2m x 1m piece of 9mm plywood on top of each table, ultimately making a 4m x 4m square layout with room in the middle for me to operate from if and when I decide to take it to local Lego / Train shows.

I have decided to work on it one table at a time mainly due to the $$ its going to cost me to complete the whole thing. Once I've finished a table I'll move it to the shed and start on the next table etc.

Below is the basic LDD plan of my layout

ScreenShot2014-01-03at91112pm.png

As I said - the LDD is basic and was just to give me an idea of what to put where.

The purple area is going to be a container terminal, far side is the farming area, this end will be housing and a mine and you have main street to the left.

I have started on Main Street today as my first table, as that gave me somewhere to put my modular buildings.

08ee8377-762b-45ce-a149-4e11e78ca790.jpg

I will be -

- replacing all the roads with either new roads or brick built roads,

- doubling the size of the train station to the length of the Horizon Express,

- adding in the new modular Restaurant and Cinema,

- filling in the rest with green baseplates

- and then adding trees, plants, and vehicles etc.

- the area between the station and the road plates will be a carpark for the station.

Its a WIP and I'm really looking forward to putting it all together especially with the other tables so I can start to run a train again!

Thanks for looking and I'll try to update it often with new pics.

lostdriveway

This project really has got some potential, lostdriveway. You are lucky to have space for such a table. I hope you will be able to make streets with buildings on both sides.

I look forward to see updates on the process.

This project really has got some potential, lostdriveway. You are lucky to have space for such a table. I hope you will be able to make streets with buildings on both sides.

I look forward to see updates on the process.

Thanks! At this stage I have designed it to take to shows so I don't know if I'll get buildings on both sides of the road - but I'm sure things will change as I get building and realise I have more buildings to include then I have designed for!

Looks good so far, any chance you don't want those roadplates?

Unfortunately my collection is a mixture of mostly my older brothers "old" collection and my "new" collection. I'm pretty sure he would disown me if I got rid of those. What it does mean though is that my layout will be a mixture of modern sets as well as sets from the 90's.

I'm off to build though - just found a really good spot to put my #6394 Garage!

Edited by lostdriveway

This looks like an amazing project!! Already I love the street scape you have created....

I look forward to more updates, happy building :laugh:

Ok small update.

When I was younger my brother got the Shell Garage 6394. It was one of the biggest sets we had and we both spent many hours of our lives driving cars up and down the multi-story carpark and filling our lego cars up with gas.

Well I wanted to incorporate the set into my layout but was really struggling to find a place to put it. Not only that but none of the modern city stuff is Shell - its all Octan. So I decided to rebuild 6394 into Octan colours (not easy when you don't have many Octan green bricks!) and replace as many of the older discoloured bricks with newer ones I have been able to obtain over the last year or so. I also did some modernisation to it and redesigned it slightly but was able to keep the overall look and feel of the original.

I'm not 100% finished with it but its the best I could do with the newer bricks I have available.

It now also gives additional parking for the train station which was the main reason for the location! I can now extend the current station with an additional one all the way down to the carpark giving more platform space for the Horizon Express.

Red bricks on the baseplates are just place holders for now.

0ABA1883-B50F-4278-809F-802E0FE51AFD.jpg

0910ce02-7f8d-4606-91fe-9f0ee154062a.jpg

932749A2-B2CD-4AE6-A9D7-27203D8F9B6F.jpg

238719AF-8884-482D-9573-FF78E85D8719.jpg

EC7ECA4E-2A44-40FE-84AF-449DB7914F42.jpg

F21FB431-D108-4C0E-8A27-CA1F482ABA6E.jpg

Edited by lostdriveway

Just a quick question, why use the old road plates?

Why have I used them or why not continue to use them?

I will be -

- replacing all the roads with either new roads or brick built roads,

- doubling the size of the train station to the length of the Horizon Express,

- adding in the new modular Restaurant and Cinema,

- filling in the rest with green baseplates

- and then adding trees, plants, and vehicles etc.

- the area between the station and the road plates will be a carpark for the station.

lostdriveway

As I wrote in my first post - the old road plates will be replaced with new road plates - this is just what I have at the moment from before my dark ages. I'm also using them as place holders so I have my spacing right.

Ok so a quick update for you all.

I finally had to move my layout into the garage so I could start on table 2 - this is my progress so far!

b5d593b5-2322-4fef-a158-5f2a655ef433.jpg

13481EC6-6DF4-4B63-8A29-03327E46EAF0.jpg

Found a use for my flex track - just need some more 1x8 red tiles and another train station so I can extend it. I've got markers in place as to where I want to extend the platform to.

d03ad9e5-a0ac-42d7-9c1a-eee7d207b3d4.jpg

Also had to modify some points so I could switch tracks before and after the station but keep the tracks in parallel.

f5036fbc-574b-48f8-9e3b-52219b1d0c94.jpg

More to come!

Edited by lostdriveway

This is coming along nicely :D

I'll be very interested to see how the ply holds up. I started my layout on 7mm ply and it has started to sag in the middle bits with the weight of the layout!! My new table has 12mm ply and I will eventually replace the old 7mm with 12mm also...

Can't wait for the next update, happy building :laugh:

PS. I think you should stick with the classic road plates, they IMHO superior to the newer road plates. I have successfully de-yellowed my old ones and they look great in the layout :classic:

Edited by timmyc1983

Yea I've used 9mm ply - hopefully the sagging will be ok as I've used plastic moulded tables underneath and only have a overhang of about 10-15cm on each side - most of the weight should be in the middle except for where the modulars are..

Ok back for an update -

Brickeyville has had a move back from the garage into the toy room but I have managed to fit 2 tables in. Its not what I want the final to be like as I'm still planning on using 6 tables but for now I don't have the room and I wanted to run some trains.

So the new look Brickeyville

A648B8B9-D682-44F4-8DF7-49221A066CD3.jpg

38DAD16E-92B9-4DA3-8C6D-10321BD5068B.jpg

22B9317C-FC98-411D-A87F-E9FE68E26E29.jpg

I still have a bunch of buildings and vehicles but they will have to wait until I can expand some more!

Edited by lostdriveway

Looking good! Great to have so much space for layout.

I've found I can never have enough sidings for all of the trains I hoard in my layout but you look like you'll have plenty.

Looking forward to see it come together - "brick on"!

Well the problem is I only have 2 PF motors at the moment and I use them in the Marersk locos as they are my favourites so the first rest just sit there or get pushed around to make space somewhere.

The station combo was just a small thing I did yesterday as I was making space for new sets.

Now I just need more baseplates!!