1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

11734081344_dd4af2fabb_c.jpg

Every two or three years, the CITY range gets a spread of new civilian sets, and 2014 is such a year. They tend mostly to be vehicles, since CREATOR seems to have stolen the houses; but there have been some great offerings of late and this year's sets look to be continuing the standard. I was very impressed by 2012's 4433 Dirt Bike Transporter - a set with an attractive design and bursting with play features - so I'm looking forward to seeing how this latest similar offering compares.

Review: 60058 SUV with Watercraft

Set Information

Name:
SUV with Watercraft

Number:

Theme:
CITY

Release:
January 2014

Parts:

Figures:

Price:
GB £17.99
|
US $19.99
|
EUR 19.99 - 21.99
|
AU $29.99
|
CA $24.99
|
DKK 179.95

Drive to LEGO® City beach and get ready for some watercraft fun!

Jump in the SUV and cruise down to LEGO® City beach for some watercraft action! Back the trailer up, fill up the watercraft with gas then launch them into the water and get ready to jump the waves! Collect this and all the other vehicles in the Great Vehicles range! Includes 2 watercraft racer minifigures with assorted accessories.

• Includes 2 minifigures with assorted accessories
  • Features an SUV with detachable trailer and 2 detachable watercraft
  • Accessories include 2 life vests, a gas drum with pump and a gas can
  • Back the trailer into position and launch the watercraft
  • Race the watercraft to see who’s fastest!
  • Take the SUV off-road for added fun
  • SUV with trailer measures over 2” (7cm) high, 11” (28cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide
  • Watercraft measures over 1” (3cm) high, 3” (8cm) long and 1” (3cm) wide
  • Collect all the other cool models in the Great Vehicles range!

Links ... Shop@Home ... Brickset ... Bricklink

The Box

11685934523_277eab3a07_c.jpg

Click for a large full-frontal image

I like the sandy shoreline the vehicle is perched on, which fades into dunes and scrubland, with the ever-present CITY silhouette beyond. It is similar to the scene occupied by the Camper, though bereft of trees; and here the landscape seems less hemmed in. Indeed, 60058 continues the semi-aquatic theme of the 60057 Camper set, though we are warned that in this case the Watercraft Do Not Float.

Customary set highlights adorn the rear, above the panorama of this year's attractive spread of vehicles:

11686111014_bbd68c8dc5_c.jpg

Click for a larger image

I love the stunning oblique shot of the SUV and trailer in the centre-right. :wub: I would have used something similar for the cover image except it doesn't show off the whole set so well.

Chase me! The two dudes play on their craft on the box top ...

11685668885_ecb1b4964e_c.jpg

... a mere stone's throw away from the bustling CITY-scape. The box is, of course, an identical size to that of the Camper set, and indeed to any set at this price range over the past few years: for a comparison, click here.

The Instructions

11687532685_9fd02e1b9f_c.jpg

Two papery-covered manuals are identical except for the module number. Interestingly, the second dude and his watercraft are absent from the picture.

There are acres of space on the inside pages. Despite some parts of similar colour (eg. 1x6 plates in black and dark bluish-grey), colour differentiation isn't a problem.

11687855614_6ec516819a_c.jpg

The build is simple, with piece callouts often demanding only one or two parts per step; I built the SUV in about five minutes. The customary inventory is spread over two pages at the rear of Book 2.

Sticker Sheet

Several decals are crammed into a small area (for a sense of scale, see the Box Contents). Their mostly-rectangular design makes applying them refreshingly straight-forward.

11687899984_cf93849dae_c.jpg

Note the two dashboard stickers displaying different speeds, and the green narrow pair declaring '160 HP'. My car is only 122 horsepower! Interestingly, the instructions indicate to place the '48' dashboard sticker onto the green boat; I dread to think what the power output of the orange boat must be. :look: Assuming that 'HP' does stand for horsepower - maybe it's Hit Points. :laugh:

The Parts

Module 1 builds the SUV. Some useful SNOT brackets brighten up an otherwise unremarkable selection, though I won't complain about the trans-black windows (especially the 4-wide Classic Town windscreen :wub: ).

11687697404_5c06bb4889_c.jpg

I hate those modified bricks with wing ends, a white example of which is lurking on the left of the picture. This one will thankfully lurk invisibly on the finished model, where it is used purely as filler. One of the far more useful 2x4 black tiles is similarly invisible on the finished car, from where it can be pilfered without breaking the set. :thumbup:

The highlight of Module 2, for me at least, are the four new wheels and tyres. I say new - two came last year in the Cargo Terminal plane set - but they're new to me, and potentially useful - we'll look at them again in situ later.

11688077576_dc332c8cb9_c.jpg

Otherwise, a number of large and chunky parts will likely be confined to the 'useless parts' bin later, but some more SNOT brackets are most welcome. The two 2x4 curved slopes are new in orange and lime green, but as these are in my opinion two of the most useless colours in the entire LEGO palette, I'm not going to get over-excited by them.

The Minifigures

11710239035_9e6a9a97f7_c.jpg

The wetsuit-guy simply had to be Johnny (even though he's not actually surfing), which I guess makes the sunglasses-dude Bodhi. Ten bonus points if you get the reference! Bodhi does at least have a surfer on his torso, without which he'd look like he was wearing a bloodstained string vest. His torso could be found previously only in three sets; his face is in need of some stubble.

Johnny's wetsuit is new to me, but appeared in a couple of sets last year; it's rather nice. Both torsos have back printing; I love the wetsuit's zip!

Two narrow lifejackets accompany the figures, much like in the Camper set. The LEGO Group clearly have safety in mind! I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing a wetsuit and a lifejacket, but I'm no expert in watersports. :look:

11710583974_d5ba346ef2_c.jpg

Again, these narrow life vests leave a nasty gap in the neck area, but I prefer them to their oversized predecessors.

The Complete Set

11691018525_182d2ff050_c.jpg

First let's look at the SUV. The car has a simple yet smart design; the increased rake of the newer windscreen piece makes it look suitable sporty. There are no doors; whilst the 1x3 bley brick might allow the placement of doors, the windscreen would make them useless, so Bodhi will have to use a Dukes of Hazzard manoeuvre to get in. The 'gap' between dark bley and black plates between the wheel arches is deliberate; it mimics a footplate, though not entirely successfully. I think I'd rather some of these had been used.

The rear end will be familiar to anyone who has 2009's 4x4 from the 7635 Horse Trailer set.

11691763926_f8d99b47b8_c.jpg

I quite like the SNOT-mounted cheese wedges, though to my eyes they sit a little to proud of the rear. I'd also much rather separate orange and red lights had been used; however, the 1x2 trans-red plates are attached only via one stud (either end of a 1x4 SNOT brick), so this wouldn't have been possible without a redesign. I think simplicity of build has triumphed over attractiveness of design here.

The protruding rear cheeses are all the more noticeable from the side:

11691343884_ab036de283_c.jpg

Absent from this rendition of the 4x4 vehicle is any attempt at a roof rack, which is a shame. I like the newer-style wide wheel arches, which can accommodate larger wheels; I do wonder however if these wheels are a little too large.

The roof comes off easily in sections (and perhaps this explains why there isn't a roof rack), allowing Bodhi and Johnny to sit inside in relative comfort.

11691793716_6373a91e68_c.jpg

Bodhi: 'Don't get my seat all wet!'

Trailer and Watercraft

11710387143_5ee8a8217f_c.jpg

The two jetskis sit side-by-side on the trailer. They have to touch: they can be mounted a little further back than this, but there is no ambiguity as to their lateral placement. In front is an Octan fuel cylinder (the lever is apparently a pump), and a green slope/tap thingy which according to the Shop@Home blurb is a 'gas can'. I wasn't sure what it was for; it can be used to store the lifejackets with a bit of fiddling.

Without the jetskis, the trailer is rather plain, but the pattern of tiles and grilles is smart. There is no rear ramp; I guess the watercraft can be lifted onto the trailer.

11710159375_4bb34bc07b_c.jpg

Now it's time to look again at the newish wheels. They are perhaps a little too snazzy for a simple trailer, but they are the same diameter as the 'standard' CITY wheels, allowing a multitude of uses ...

... a single example of which is here:

11710880926_7d78460fcf_c.jpg

I've replaced the standard wheels of the car from the 4432 Car & Caravan set with these new wheels. They look rather nice: sporty, with low-profile tyres, and they aren't as wide thus eliminating the 'protruding tyre' problem of many CITY vehicles. I like them! :thumbup:

The jetskis themselves are identical aside from the colour and stickers; the design is simple but pleasingly realistic.

11691411574_7e70df29e5_c.jpg

The SNOT plate at the rear mimics the jet nozzles; the handlebars are attached via a robot arm on a 1x2 plate with vertical pole, allowing a degree of rotation.

Johnny and Bodhi can grip the handlebars with ease, allowing them to pose as they wish (a random trans-clear cheese is helping here):

11691317633_214468f265_c.jpg

Comparison to Similar Sets

This is the third six-wide four-wheel drive vehicle LEGO has produced in recent years. Here's the latest with 2009's 4WD from the 7635 Horse Trailer set and 2012's 4435 Dirt Bike Transporter:

11690925995_eeedb934c3_c.jpg

I still love 7635's Range Rover look; 4435's vehicle looks more like a Land Rover Discovery, but its front end, free of the usual bonnet piece, is fresh and interesting. Compared to them, 60058's SUV looks more like the typical oversized shopping trolley we have to suffer today; it kinda reminds me of a Toyota RAV4.

The "Toyota"'s rear window configuration is similar to that of the "Range Rover"'s; though it's tail lights can't compete. Bonus points for the rear registration plate, though, seen here devoid of sticker for fair comparison. The "Discovery"'s rear end has the added advantage of an opening tailgate, at the expense of inadequate tail lights.

11691279394_393504bd25_c.jpg

The lack of roof rack is apparent here, and for me those wheels are simply too large - we're straying into Monster Wheels territory here; they may appeal to the kids, but I'd prefer something that would be happy on a CITY street. I think the medium wheels on the "Discovery" represent a decent compromise.

It's interesting that both 60058 and 4425 employ orange and lime green vehicles. Of the two trailers, the latest set's is simpler, but arguably neater; the new wheels look a little on the large side, but I think that's preferable to 4435's 1990s Town wheels which provide rather pitiable ground clearance.

11691244714_0f20fb8348_c.jpg

However, 4435 wins over in the accessories: two removable toolboxes (replete with tools) are included, along with two flagposts for marking a course, motorcycle helmets with clearly intentional storage mounting points, and mustard dispensers fire extinguishers. 60058's trailer has only the two jetskis and means of refuelling.

Seen side-by-side, the two sets complement each other well, and that perhaps explains the choice of orange and lime for the watercraft.

11691263204_b7bcd31a21_c.jpg

60058's SUV has neater lines, but I miss the interesting front end of 4435, and the opening rear. Mostly, there are far fewer play functions on this latest set when compared to its immediate predecessor, which was a super set in every respect - and consequently very hard to beat.

Conclusion

11710978496_7c6c6b703c_c.jpg

This is a fun set. The SUV is attractive, and roomy, seating the two figures with ease; the trailer is detachable and with the two realistic jetskis provides lots of play options. It has its drawbacks - apart from the watercraft, the colour scheme is decidedly drab; and the oversized wheels of the SUV unfortunately give it a <insert that tiresome argument> look.

Owners of 4435 are likely to be somewhat disappointed - many of that set's myriad play functions are absent - but 4435 was an awesome set. They do make a good matching pair, so don't let the pared-down functions put you off if you're considering buying 60058; it also makes an excellent companion to this year's 60057 Camper if you're into watersports! :snicker:

Design & Build
The build feels simpler than many recent similar sets; if this was intentional to increase appeal to the target audience, I'd say it's a success. Nevertheless, the resulting model is smart and realistic; spoilt for me mainly by the silly wheels, but some brighter colours wouldn't go amiss.

Parts
There's not a huge number of parts that you can't get elsewhere, but there are a handful of useful SNOT brackets, and I like the newer low-profile tyres.

Figures
I love Johnny's wetsuit! Shame it's available more cheaply elsewhere, but it isn't a common part. Bodhi's body is also not common, but far less appealing to me.

Playability
It might not be a patch on 4435, but there is still copious play potential with this set, and it'll fit in reasonably well to your CITY. A few pedestrians might get squished by those wheels, but it'll give the Emergency Services something to do.
:laugh:

Value
Part for penny this is a good value set, and the play options only increase the score.

Overall 72% My Score 7/10 This is a solid set: fun for kids; for adults, it's ok, but if you're expecting another 4435 you may be a trifle disappointed.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the review. Please let us know what you think!

Rufus

Resources

11521746025_93f7f306e9_o.jpg My 60057 Camper review

My flickr Set

If you like my reviews, and would like to learn how it's done, please consider joining the Reviewers Academy:

sml_gallery_6705_157_16357.png

Thank you for the very detailed review, I enjoyed reading it. I think I will probably get this set at some point, but I'm pretty sure the 4WD from the horse trailer set will remain my favourite 4x4. I do like the consistency with the colours between this and the dirt bike transporter though, it looks like they will go well together, and like you say with the camper van. I agree that a roof rack would have been a nice extra detail but despite being my least favourite of the three vehicals you show it still looks like a good set

Thanks for your great review. I also think the SUVs wheels are way to big for its size... The 4435s wheels are indeed best.

On that note, i've recently come to believe it's not a Discovery at all- someone at Lego must have seen or known about the forgotten Matra Rancho:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Talbot_Matra_Rancho.jpg

I mean, the front end is almost identical! The rest is not far off either.

Another good review Rufus and you're right about the wheels - they're 'generously proportioned'.

Oh, and speaking as a former windsurfing/sailing instructor - I wore either a wet suit or a dry suit and a life jacket at all times.

Thanks for another in-depth review of one of the new vehicle sets, even though it's far from my favourite 2014 City vehicle. I personally think the previous two 4x4s in the City line look a whole lot better. The design looks... too simple compared to them. A van instead of a SUV might have been a nice change, but I guess it doesn't have the same appeal to the target group. And although the jetskis look great, we've had our fair share of jetskis in recent years. How about a van with two windsurfers?

I'll probably be skipping this set (unless I find it at an irrestible price of course :tongue: ).

The main reason I got this set was to get those wheels on the trailer. But I was happy with the build. Normally, when I put together a new set I get the impulse to redo a good portion of the vehicle, but that didn't happen this time. I think the oversized wheels are what gives it personality but it does look decent with more reasonably proportioned wheels.

The vests themselves look good, but the floating head doesn't. I don't understand why they didn't make the opening larger.