yanathin

How do you display your modular building collection?

On 1/26/2017 at 0:32 PM, Chilis said:

Glad you liked it.. Billboards tends to be quite big.

That is ingenious! Using your VIP card as a billboard. You never lose it that way too. 

On January 29, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Ivan Kozirev said:

32436931092_40ca229c5f_k.jpgIMG_0379 by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

You can play with the hinges to close the gap, but it is always a mistery to me, I accept the first results where the doors are paralel. :)

The townhouse side 3rd floor placement is off by a few studs back, needs to go forward. The gap between the 2nd floor bay windows and 3rd floor, does it still fit if placed how it should be. And if Detectives Office is placed on the other side does it contact the hinge?

Edited by koalayummies

I recently got an interesting idea. Many are probably familiar with pull down lights - a standard light hanging a few inches from the ceiling, that can also be grabbed and pulled down to provide more light on a table, let's say for reading. 

Why not expand this idea into a pull-down shelf? I am envisioning a piece of wood (or any other material), suspended in its 4 corners from the ceiling. Pulling on the middle from the bottom would bring it down to allow for build/play. When finished, return it to the initial position for display.

img_0002.jpg

still finding time to build the rest of my modulars to complete the street! Hope you like it!

Edited by Sim Avenue

On 3/10/2017 at 10:21 AM, Sim Avenue said:

still finding time to build the rest of my modulars to complete the street! Hope you like it!

This looks so great and roomy. It's really hard to find dust-proof storage/display that is horizontal.

Did you buy or build this cabinet? Is it three stacked on top of each other? How do you open it? Seems like the front doors would hinge up or down, but not sure how all that weight would be suspended or supported. IKEA has bookcases with glass doors but I don't think the doors will work well with the whole thing turned sideways.

Edited by badbob001
typo

Got a new Ikea shelf (KALLAX) for the living room:

modulars_april_2017.jpg

It doesn't show my modular townhouse (placed within the shelf into one of the boxes) since only 7 modulars fit on top of it. My official modulars are all deassembled at the moment.

On 1/3/2014 at 2:15 PM, LegoSjaak said:

what about this... 8814244709_37ffbaa6f5_b.jpg

I'm conflicted about this, because while it's nice for everyone else, I'd just see the backs. Maybe you need a larger desk so you can have double rows of modulars.

On ‎10‎-‎4‎-‎2017 at 6:19 PM, gotoAndLego said:

I'm conflicted about this, because while it's nice for everyone else, I'd just see the backs. Maybe you need a larger desk so you can have double rows of modulars.

I took the buildings down the attic just for a quick layout change a few years ago.. i decided to take a few pictures of them, standing on the table... Later that day, they all went back to the attic, so it was a short stay on the table!

I've been planning to get several Ikea Billy bookcases with class doors, but I've been putting it off since there is some work involved to adjust them to fit three modules per shelf. Then I noticed that Ikea now has this:

HINDÖ
Greenhouse cabinet, indoor/outdoor, gray

Width: 24 3/4 "
Depth: 12 1/4 "
Height: 56 3/4 "
Max load/shelf: 51 lb

Width: 63 cm
Depth: 31 cm
Height: 144 cm
Max load/shelf: 23 kg

hindo-greenhouse-cabinet-indoor-outdoor-hindo-greenhouse-cabinet-indoor-outdoor-

It's smaller than the billy, doesn't look as nice, but OMG why can't the billy have frameless glass doors like that! The per unit cost is less than billy ($99 vs $180 for billy with glass modliden doors). But the Hindo can only hold 8 modulars at most while each billy can do 12 (18 with width hack).

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 6:18 PM, ancestral said:

I've given up on IKEA as one of the 190cm shelves just decided to leave the wall and hug the floor.

New shelf system, cheaper and much stronger than IKEA.

19951855863_91c1ffba05_b.jpg

Does anybody know what this shelving system is called and where it can be purchased in the UK.

Many thanks

Ian

On 6/24/2017 at 2:20 AM, shibble said:

Does anybody know what this shelving system is called and where it can be purchased in the UK.

Many thanks

Ian

I built a similar system with Rubbermaid parts from Home Depot.  You can probably find similar parts at Homebase or Screwfix in the UK.  Just search for shelf brackets and shelf boards:

35193144030_581e32718e_b.jpg

35449813731_85d972a62c_b.jpg

Edited by kasmca

Here two recent pictures of my layout, that is how i display them all! (shot from the right and left side)

33836738216_f6bb12543f_b.jpg

33748479031_0d730d7e7b_b.jpg

And here are the other ones, downtown...

33111453895_7e0729458f_c.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

On March 10, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Sim Avenue said:

img_0002.jpg

I'm jealous of those 19" display figs! And nice old LEGOLAND sets.  

I found the website of this company that makes custom display cabinets and one of the displays looks almost like the one above. Bad news (for me) is that they are in Singapore.

http://chezrich.net/home-displays/

8617_588557294517199_1985600603_n.jpg

10471334_861263140579945_403825280082726

So so jelly.

Back down on earth, I see a new-ish Ikea display cabinet that seems ok for displaying/storing modulars: Hemnes glass-door cabinet

Width: 47 1/4 "
Depth: 14 5/8 "
Height: 51 1/8 "
Max load/shelf: 33 lb

Width: 120 cm
Depth: 37 cm
Height: 130 cm
Max load/shelf: 15 kg

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20363207/#/60363210

hemnes-glass-door-cabinet-brown__0528359

hemnes-glass-door-cabinet-brown__0614360

The main attraction is that it's wide, so that one can fit about 4 modulars per shelf (possibly 4.5 if you factor in the pet shop). Most other ikea display cabinets are tall and narrow, which allows for only 1-2 modulars per shelf. And it's nice that the display window is large and not cut off in the middle with a support beam. One bad thing is that while the shelves are not fixed, there are not any extra holes to adjust the height of each shelf, but this is not a hard problem to overcome.

Resurrecting this topic..

Ikea Detolf was discontinued starting January 2024.

Has anyone tried the new version, BLÅLIDEN?

For the next time: Resurrecting a dead topic is normally no good move!

But I believe a lot of people are interested in how to display your own sets, so I'll let this one pass. :classic:

Show you are a real smart guy and please add a link to the discovered new shelf (I hope it is one :look::laugh:)

Hi Holodoc, sorry about that.  I dont want to create another topic as this thread has a wealth of information about displaying our lego modular buildings.

I found this youtube video comparing the old Detolf-43 cm wide vs the new one, Blaliden - 32cm wide (which will not fit the Assembly square 10255 and Natural history Museum 10326)

Blaliden link - https://www.ikea.com/ch/de/p/blaliden-vitrine-weiss-00501243/

Edited by CisFran

Thanks for the information as I am looking at new display solutions and this new model is a no go for me with its limited adjustments.