yanathin

How do you display your modular building collection?

Looking good everyone. Mine are just on multiple shelves exposed to the air...maybe one day I'll get something different, but these shelves were built in when we bought the house, so it works.

But that Besta display with the lights is intense. Looks very professional and clean. And you could certainly display any sets behind there like a true collector/displayer... My only qualm, it really shows off how tiny the new modulars are compared to the older versions. Yikes. I knew they were smaller and you see them next to each other and not think of it, but in that photo it is glaringly obvious.

Either way, I really like how it looks and I may have to look into doing something similar to my LEGO room.

It's very hard for me to find a dust-free way to store my modulars. Many of the IKEA options are good for storing them individually, but I think they would look best when stored connected as a city block. I wish there were more horizontal storage options, ideally something tall enough to fit the town hall. And the internal width needs to be in multiples of 10in/25cm. Oh, how many times have I seen storage that is just a little bit too narrow to fit one more modular. Often, people would split up the Pet Shop set to fill the space, but LEGO has only given us ONE modular set that can be split in half.

For those that have the Ikea Besta cabinets, is it correct that each shelf can only fit two Modulars?

There will only fit 2 modulars next to each other. in front you have space for max a 8 stud baseplate for a street.

There will only fit 2 modulars next to each other. in front you have space for max a 8 stud baseplate for a street.

Thank you! I'm heading to IKEA tomorrow, but it's good to have that in the back of my head.

Many great ways seen in this thread. I really like the clean look in the IKEA "Besta" shown above! I have them "in a row" (or two) incorporated in my city;

Think they should be shown off as a city block :)

How many of you think you found the perfect enclosure and then realize the interior width is not in multiples of 10"/25cm (the width of a 32x32 baseplate)?

This is the Ikea Normas and it's 25" wide, which limits it to 6 modulars (2 per shelf). Just about 6" more, it would hold 9 modulars. My idea cabinet would be at least 30" in interior width.

nornas-glass-door-cabinet-with-doors-gray__0276682_PE415370_S4.JPG

Perhaps a old thread but I can recomend Ikeas Liatorp. Just waiting on help to get the glass doors up. If I am lucky with the heights there should be room for 6 more modules.  Will get back with picture when it is complete and when I have found a camera able to take 0.1 mb size photoes. Until then http://m.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/art/40268879/

Can someone please confirm if the IKEA Billy bookcase can actually fit three full modulars per shelf? The specs says the shelves are 30 inches wide, so that should fit 3 x 10" baseplates.

10 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

Can someone please confirm if the IKEA Billy bookcase can actually fit three full modulars per shelf? The specs says the shelves are 30 inches wide, so that should fit 3 x 10" baseplates.

Unfortunately it's a millimetre or two just shy.

On 18-12-2016 at 1:22 PM, DanFraser said:

Unfortunately it's a millimetre or two just shy.

That's our experience as well.
Our Billy bookcases are pretty old, so I don't know if they have changed, since, but ours don't fit 3 32x32 modulars by a hair.

On 18/12/2016 at 7:09 AM, badbob001 said:

I display my modulars in Billy bookcases.  It is too tight by a little less than 1 stud.  Since there is one corner module for every two straight modules, I reduced the width of the corner baseplate.  Since I didn't want to cut up a rare baseplate I dug out some cheaper 16 x 32 stud baseplates in a horrible but not rare light blue that I reduced to 15 x 32 studs.  Fits very well. (I put the original baseplates safely away with the extra light bluish gray tiles)

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

It's too bad about the Billy, since it has the nice looking Morliden doors, which are full-length glass and very thin frame:

(not my photo)
setup01_zps57878916.jpg

IKEA use to offer thin-frame glass doors for other cabinets/bookcase systems but have since discontinued all of them. Grr.

Now I'm wondering if I can take a 93" tall PAax frame and turn it sideways so I can hold 9 modules horizontally on each level, for a proper street look.. And the 22" depth will allow a full street plate to sit in front of each building.

pax-wardrobe-frames-white__0313339_PE514

The only problem is that I'm not sure how I would cover this. Pax does have sliding doors with annoying frosted glass that will need to be replaced with regular glass or acrylic (not cheap), but I don't think there is an easy way to make sliding doors work when they are turned sideways (curse you gravity).

I should have added to my last comment that the Ikea Lack shelves fit modulate perfectly.  I have one (for now) that fits 4 32x32 base plates almost perfectly.

edit:. Just had another modular for xmas to make four for my set.  The lack shelf can fit four with about 7-8 studs of room to either side (in total).  The depth is nigh on perfect with a slight edge of a couple of millimetres of shelf extra under the base plate.

Edited by DanFraser

First tried ikea, bought 3 shelves and a table, only assembled one shelf. Hated it and everything about their physical stores and their $99 flat rate shipping is outrageous. Returned it all for full refund. 

$18 shelf option. 3 bookshelves/cases from Walmart for the price of 1 shelf at ikea. Essentially the same exact thing, the difference isn't like Lego vs knockoff. They are indiscernible. Less spent on display more money for bricks. Modulars all fit fully assembled, just as sturdy as any other particle board furniture, manufactured the same exact way (walmart uses all metal cams and screws ikea uses plastic) and probably all made in an identical factory right across the street from each other. 

24958005247_5a7cdb6d7b_b.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

12 hours ago, koalayummies said:

First tried ikea, bought 3 shelves and a table, only assembled one shelf. Hated it and everything about their physical stores and their $99 flat rate shipping is outrageous. Returned it all for full refund. 

$18 shelf option. 3 bookshelves/cases from Walmart for the price of 1 shelf at ikea. Essentially the same exact thing, the difference isn't like Lego vs knockoff. They are indiscernible. Less spent on display more money for bricks. Modulars all fit fully assembled, just as sturdy as any other particle board furniture, manufactured the same exact way (walmart uses all metal cams and screws ikea uses plastic) and probably all made in an identical factory right across the street from each other. 

31197207084_13c5e7cbf1_c.jpg

31197207134_d118150843_c.jpg

Looks great, I like the way your set-up is 2.5 houses! Can fix the next modular issue, since it's the width of 1.5 house :classic:

Many of you mentioned Ikea Billy bookcases. Hereby I can confirm that you can fit 3 modulars / 3 baseplates per shelf in them, only using a little trick. :). The trick is, you do not need to fasten the the screws as hard as you can, just loose them a bit. They will still hold well, but it will give you those missing 1-2 millimeters.

32378247671_140959b379_b.jpgIMG_0332 copy by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

31688385813_7dd62124de_z.jpgIMG_0333 copy by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

I invented this technique when I wanted to display my space sets in a black Billy bookcase using 3 baseplates next to each other. 

32378247971_f8c314a018_z.jpgIMG_0334 copy by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

I`ve finally learned how to link to pictures outside EB so I`ll provide some more photos of how I display my modulars, hope you like it. This is how I think every modular should be displayed ;)

800x600.jpg

800x1067.jpg

800x1067.jpg

17 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

That's a pretty massive display for your VIP card.

Glad you liked it.. Billboards tends to be quite big.

On 24.1.2017 at 2:19 PM, Ivan Kozirev said:

Many of you mentioned Ikea Billy bookcases. Hereby I can confirm that you can fit 3 modulars / 3 baseplates per shelf in them, only using a little trick. :). The trick is, you do not need to fasten the the screws as hard as you can, just loose them a bit. They will still hold well, but it will give you those missing 1-2 millimeters.

I invented this technique when I wanted to display my space sets in a black Billy bookcase using 3 baseplates next to each other.

That's a great display of classic space sets you have there!

On 1/24/2017 at 8:19 AM, Ivan Kozirev said:

That sounds like a great idea! Have you tried adjusting the door hinges to close up the middle gap? Also, is there enough clearance to put non-corner buildings on the shelves next to the door hinges?

On 1/26/2017 at 10:09 PM, Dazz said:

That's a great display of classic space sets you have there!

Thanks! Altogether there are 9 shelfs for this theme. :)

On 1/27/2017 at 2:14 PM, badbob001 said:

That sounds like a great idea! Have you tried adjusting the door hinges to close up the middle gap? Also, is there enough clearance to put non-corner buildings on the shelves next to the door hinges?

tested them, here is the results: 

32589836125_cad0f2fd2d_k.jpgIMG_0382 by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

32589837595_6da52c92dc_k.jpgIMG_0380 by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

32436931092_40ca229c5f_k.jpgIMG_0379 by Ivan Kozirev, on Flickr

You can play with the hinges to close the gap, but it is always a mistery to me, I accept the first results where the doors are paralel. :)

On 4/5/2014 at 6:23 AM, JayCal said:

foto.jpg

All nine modulars (with the exception of the "market"part of market street) are present!

Simple i love it... and... my 2 favorite things. lego and Guitar! except I am a Fender fan! haha