yanathin

How do you display your modular building collection?

Now that i'm busy building the Parisian Restaurant, i have to figure out how i fit in this set... Also due to my XXXL Town Hall, room is getting scarcer and scarcer...... the first picture shows the extra large Town Hall, and the second picture shows the layout before expanding the Town Hall...10206480676_25d5e7fa13_b.jpg9406530659_7c190d6d30_b.jpg

Edited by LegoSjaak

I'm so amused by how many of us have our modulars displayed on Expedit shelves! I was thinking about getting another 4x2 Expedit and using the two of them back to back as a room divider but I don't think I could make that work in my space.

I have them on two IKEA shelves as well. Not Expedit though. They're above my desk. I can only fit eight of them though, so once I build the Parisian Restaurant I'll have to come up with something to make room. Or install another shelf.

Expedit for me too. I have them al on a 5x5 in this order:

Palace Cinema - Pet shop - Town Hall - Fire Brigade - Parisian - Market street - Grand Emporium - Pet Shop House (around the corner).

I still have space for one large modular if I replace the pet shop to the other side of the Palace Cinema (around the corner). The buildings come all the way to the edge of the shelf.

Edited by cocabottle

GregD - thanks for the link!

I plan on displaying mine on shelves too, so I may look into these IKEA shelves. I've never been to one (the closest is about an 7-8 hour drive from here) So hauling things back would be troublesome and shipping is ridiculous. But they look nice.

We had a Lego room built into our new house. During the design process, I told the builder this room would become a library. It somewhat is one, although it's filled with bricks rather than books. I have the modulars displayed on four 30x60" custom-made maple tables, divided into two districts circumscribed by separate railways.

Summer 2013:

9478982579_5430805c78_z.jpg

Summer 2013, reverse angle:

9481772528_f9d1c10e2f_z.jpg

Fall 2013, overhead view:

11390220394_332e70df23_z.jpg

Why didn't you tell the builder that it would be a Lego room? Was he a Lego hater?

Why didn't you tell the builder that it would be a Lego room? Was he a Lego hater?

I'm not an outspoken person. Simply calling it a library conveyed my vision (with respect to the floor-to-ceiling shelves) while avoiding a long-winded explanation.

Here is my "lego room". Unfortunatly, I live in town and it's not in my flat but in my parent's house...

20140107_212907_800600.jpg

My modulars are on a wall shelf with a row of road baseplates.

Edited by Zed_43

Loving everyone's pics here. I'm late to this AFOL thing and just (within the last 3 months) jumped in head first getting all of the official sets (except MS (no interest), TH (next double points window), and am about to bricklink CC) as well as bricklinking (about 70% through!) 12 of brickcitydepot's sets (15 buildings)). I knew the footprint for these would be huge, but seeing your photos really puts it in perspective. I'm not sure I can have them all out and built at once. When I do get them all built, I'll come back and post a pic though:)

We had a Lego room built into our new house.

I want to visit you :)

I recently came out from the Dark Ages, started small with the CMFs and then jumped to the opposite extreme of collecting the Modulars. Before I even considered buying anything, I needed to have a place store my sets so they can be displayed instead of being dismantled, kept tidy to please the misses, and protected from dust and direct sunlight. I definitely wanted something horizontal so I could connect the modulars together.

I already have a 5x5 expedite bookcase so I modified it to suit my needs by removing the shelve dividers from the top row (they line the back now) and added an ikea billy glass door, turned sideways.

dyt9.jpg

The shelves are not tall enough to hold the tall modulars fully, so I have to remove some root bits to fit. I still have the other modulars in their boxes to be built, so it will be interesting how the town hall will look after I chop it down. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of space. I could replace the small white shelf doors with glass ones and store a modular in each cubby-hole.

You can read about my rudimentary 'hack' here: http://www.ikeafans....t-bookcase.html

Maybe when I need the space, I'll get a few ikea detolf glass cabinets like this. I wish they made horizontal version of these cabinets.

lego01.jpg

I also was curious if I could find a large coffee table-like glass cabinet so I could display the modules connected together as a city block and view it from above like a map model. But I would be nervous having all that glass in the middle of the living room... with the kids. This hack of an ikea granas coffee table is similar to what I had in mind:

suhl.jpg

Probably a good to keep major expansion plans in check until I need the space because I may well find myself giving up my office/lego room to one of the kids and be banished to the basement. :)

Edited by badbob001

I was about to start a new thread so we can showcase our modulars but decided to dig around and see if anything like that had already been done. Had to go 8 pages to find it. It is late here and I will take a picture of mine that I keep in my closet away from sun light. I currently only have 4 sets. Though I am working on my GG, MS and CC via BL, PAB and BnP. Once I get all my BL orders in I should have over 3/4 of the needed parts for the GG. The only parts I have for the CC and MS are ones I dug up from parts I already had. Because I am building the GG, CC and MS I won't be getting the PR and CP anytime soon, but should have plenty of time to get them since neither of them are anymore than a year old.

These sets are so cool and I had been looking online for pictures of sets with all 9 in them and couldn't find any. Look forward to more of these sets but just not sure where I am going to put them. Once I get the remaining 5 I will not have room in my closet anymore and I will be taking up the top shelf of the closet on my wife's side. :classic::sweet::laugh::grin:

I am fortunate to have a Lego room, but the modulars are in the dining area, in a cabinet. There used to be liquor in it, but now there is only room for pint glasses on the first shelf. The top two are Lego.

5dfbb0fe-1490-48d3-80e5-48da1c2bc205_zpsefac7d72.jpg

Edited by trippybrowneyes

I am fortunate to have a Lego room, but the modulars are in the dining area, in a cabinet. There used to be liquor in it, but now there is only room for pint glasses on the first shelf. The top two are Lego.

5dfbb0fe-1490-48d3-80e5-48da1c2bc205_zpsefac7d72.jpg

Classy!!!

at the moment they are all over the place,

GE PS and TH on a bench, FB on top of a wardrobe and PC on the coffee table.

The centerpiece of your Lego city display is always a perfect spot!... If you have one. If not, I can't help too much.

Here is my collection so far. As you can see I have the GG under construction and I am building it higher as I get more parts.

13149234303_295ec2f408_o.jpg

Edited by stevkir

LOL We can go together, I will pick you up

We had a Lego room built into our new house. During the design process, I told the builder this room would become a library. It somewhat is one, although it's filled with bricks rather than books. I have the modulars displayed on four 30x60" custom-made maple tables, divided into two districts circumscribed by separate railways.

Summer 2013:

9478982579_5430805c78_z.jpg

Summer 2013, reverse angle:

9481772528_f9d1c10e2f_z.jpg

Fall 2013, overhead view:

11390220394_332e70df23_z.jpg

how did you swing this with the wife, I mean.....a whole room.

LOL We can go together, I will pick you up

I bet she has a room of the same size for her clothing! :)

My modulars are demolished, bagged and in boxes up the attic :(

2 young kids running around here and no room for them... Yet!

Let me know when you're in town; I could make arrangements.

I share this hobby with my daughter, and in turn she and her friends play with Lego. So, it isn't completely unselfish... I hope. I'm not rich, and the extra investment in this hobby does come as a trade off (e.g., old car, no pets, etc).

I bet she has a room of the same size for her clothing! :)

Yes, a nice kitchen, closet, and bathroom, plus vacation(s) even things out.

I, too, like liquor with my Lego. Some of my best inspiration has come while inebriated.