Which is your favorite set from the second Hobbit wave?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Dol Guldur Ambush
    • Mirkwood Elf Army
    • Lake-town Chase
    • Dol Guldur Battle

i have a hard time saying. There are a good number of things that I like and dislike about each set, but I think I have to go with Lake-Town Chase.

I prefer the Lake Town set, the houses are nice (and tbh, I never thought of the two combined rowing boats for a moc ship)

Dol Guldur Battle. Set with so many potentials and yet a really good variation of minifigs and layout for them. Also like Lake Town chase - these little medieval buildings are just sweet, I already have two of those and used them to my Medieval Village as alittle fischer mans port with jail :) But honestly, only DGB (conected with DGA) and LTC are good sets, much more better than Mirkwood spiders attack or Goblin king battle or the terrible Barrel escape.

And for the rest, I honestly curse MEA! :)

I have Laketown Chase and the Mirkwood Elf Army. DG Battle is okay but no must mave. DG Ambush doesn't make much sense without DG Battle, except for Beorn.

So I choose Laketown-Chase, it has cool Minifigs, nice Buildings an a great boat.

Lake town chase is the best set IMHO, due to the fact that it is the most unique build of the wave, a boat and some buildings VS. lots of grey stony structures that make this wave rather boring..

I think Mirkwood elf army is the best because it is a great army builder and comes with a warg! :wub:

Yeah from that point you have right, otherwise is a terrible set with some nice brics and figs but terrible structure, hairless orcs, and some rangers from mirkwood in a new coat..we already had those...basicly except thranduil and maybe new color variation of warg nothing new..

Yeah from that point you have right, otherwise is a terrible set with some nice brics and figs but terrible structure, hairless orcs, and some rangers from mirkwood in a new coat..we already had those...basicly except thranduil and maybe new color variation of warg nothing new..

We didn't really have the Elf Scouts before. We had the elf servants in dark green hoods from the polybag. Now we actually have the scouts in proper attire.

We didn't really have the Elf Scouts before. We had the elf servants in dark green hoods from the polybag. Now we actually have the scouts in proper attire.

Officially they suppose to be Mirkwood Elf guards :) These new ones has better printing of their attire - there cannot be any argue about that, but yet another elf with green hood. On the other hand, now these elves are more accesable to general population of customers :) And thats my plus.

Ya, the Mirkwood Elf Guard title was just Lego giving them an exciting name though. In the movie we see them with the olive green shirts wandering around Thranduil's palace. They never have the dark green hoods nor are they seen in combat. Lego tried to use the existing torso and give us a "new" elf polybag since they probably didn't have the scout printing done yet and wanted to save it for the Mirkwood Elf Army set.

Just saw the Desolation of Smaug yesterday and I was the whole time expecting to see Beorn at Dol Guldur. I mean we saw him in the LEGO set. So I was kind of wondering, is that set supposed to be for There and Back Again or what? Why would they call it Dol Guldur Ambush? And what's with the LEGO necromancer?

Just saw the Desolation of Smaug yesterday and I was the whole time expecting to see Beorn at Dol Guldur. I mean we saw him in the LEGO set. So I was kind of wondering, is that set supposed to be for There and Back Again or what? Why would they call it Dol Guldur Ambush? And what's with the LEGO necromancer?

Apparently Beorn's scene at Dol Guldur was cut and it will most likely be in the Extended Edition version of the film when it's released. The necromancer was most likely based on his image we see in the first movie, AUJ.

I think my favourite of the DOS sets is the Laketown set, though it is a bit out of my price range for Lego sets. I am sort of disappointed about the cheaper Hobbit sets actually. I don't like the Beorn figure (or how his character was handled in the film actually) and the last years cheaper set with Gollum and Bilbo was also a bit lame in my opinion. The other two sets are similarly underwhelming for me, I think the dwarves are cooler than the elves, so the Mirkwood army set is out, and the big Dol Guldur set is really bland.

I have just purchased last years set with the Mirkwood spiders, which while not a DOS set, still contains a scene from the film. So... in a way. That is probably my favourite DOS set.

Mirkwood Elf Army has quite many minifigs and so it's a good army builder set.

But I prefer Lake-town Chase because the set contains 3 brand new minifigures and a lot of brown pieces you can use for MOCs.

The shields with the fish that are attached to the boat are also fantastic, at least for someone like me who likes to build "A Song of Ice and Fire" MOCs. These shields fit perfectly for House Tully of Riverrun.

Edited by Wat Tambor

Another vote for LTC.

The only set I've bought was MEA, as I thought it would be the stand out one from the range which I thought was surprisingly weak. But I was wrong about the best set (well, I think I was). My kids got LTC as a joint Christmas present from a family friend, and it's great. Good figures - although I really don't like Bilbo's face -, lovely build, captures the feel of the location well, the boat is gorgeous, and it's got plenty of play options and uses. With a bit of tweaking following a falling off a table incident, it even sits respectably alongside MMV as a sort of river wharf area.

MEA on the other hand is, to me, another "almost" set. Thranduil is a great figure, the printing on the elves is lovely and it's nice to have a brown warg, but it fails on the details for me - why no Elven helmet? what's with the weird elf-chucking tree and the wall that goes nowhere? I see from the designers on the lego website that if you get 4 sets you can join them up to make a fort. Great! I am the owner of a quarter of a fort! I would sooner have been the owner of all of a better-designed stand-alone structure like a lookout post in a tree, or even a version of the watergate that was just a wall and a gate. Like plenty of people, I'm sure, we've used the bricks to make something else (a fort in a tree as it happens). So I suppose it encouraged my kids' creativity.

I see from the designers on the lego website that if you get 4 sets you can join them up to make a fort.

This seems to be an emerging theme, what with the Mordor gate. Its great it inspired your children though.

My favourite is the Lake Town chase. I'm a bit disappointed by Dol Guldur, but have heard it is pretty good. :)

Lake Town chase by far. I loved the atmoshpere of laketown in the movie, Lego recreated this in a good way.

Would love to see someone recreate the whole of Lake Town in LEGO.

Edited by kreimkoek

I'm more interested in Army building and to mostly build an army of the "bad guys". I recently got the LakeTown chase, it seems really really good, but I went for the Dol Guldor ambush because of the number of Orcs that can be attained and the extra building materials for a castle (I want more materials to build an ancient city for my Roman army).

I really like the minifigs from the Dol Guldur set. Radagast and Azog look cool, and the statue would make a good body for the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who! The set itself is a bit meh, but the blocks could be used to make a better Dol Guldur moc.