REVIEW: 70807 MetalBeard's Duel

67 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Terrific!

Great review, Clone O'Patra! I believe I'll be buying this, I'm no Steampunk fan but a giant patched up Pirate, fully articulated and with a giant sword? And that skeleton will be good to make a skinless Terminator. Slightly disturbing, apparently that Treasure chest is what's left of him, his "body parts" according to my latest Lego catalogue after a battle with Lord Business before the events of the film. I can understand the bone, but the Sausage?!? You'd think they'd sensor that sort of thing...

Are we sure the sausage wasn't a bone too? :tongue:

I'm surprised this set hasn't gotten more love. Well, kind of surprised, kind of not - style-wise, not everyone is into mechs, steam-punk, etc. I have high hopes that one the movie premieres, more love will be cast at the feet of Metalbeard. :)

This is a super-fun build, and it's so crazy and out there. And the model looks almost movie-accurate (save a few widgets here and there on the cannon arm).

Great review!

We went to Legoland CA yesterday, our annual Winter/Spring visit.

It just so happened that this was the first weekend for the “The LEGO Movie Experience” attraction. We got there early so the attraction was a walk-on, no line. The display area had quite a few people in there, but not so many that you could not see everything you want to. I will not discuss the attraction in case some might not like to hear about any inadvertent spoilers (unless you ask).

Anyway, we had not seen the movie yet, so the attraction was quite a surprise to us. We both enjoyed it very much. We then went to lunch and my wife suggested that if we still have the energy (we’re both old) that we go see "The LEGO Movie" after we are done at Legoland.

I decided, based on the attraction that I wanted to get a “The LEGO Movie” set. I picked up MetalBeard's Duel mainly because of the “steampunk” look of MetalBeard.

Today I built the set and I must say... I wonder how they went about designing the set? Did they just throw a bunch of random parts on the table and go to it or what?

You really can’t get an appreciation of MetalBeard without building it, it was a very fun build. I recommend it!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Anyone who has this set, noticed that the EU version, lists China as the first country of origin, with Denmark, Hungary, Mexico and the Czech Republic following. Does that mean that most of the set is comprised of Chinese parts?

Why am I getting an AT-ST with arms vibe from the Micro Manager...

Anyway, great set! It's one of the few sets from this theme I own so far and it is my favorite. The detail of MetalBeard and the accuracy to the film is fantastic! Good job on the review.

Anyone who has this set, noticed that the EU version, lists China as the first country of origin, with Denmark, Hungary, Mexico and the Czech Republic following. Does that mean that most of the set is comprised of Chinese parts?

I don't believe the order in which the countries appear has anything to do with the contents of the set. It's not an ingredients list.

This is definitely one of the best lego movie sets in my opinion!

Aye, I feel this review is a little unduly harsh. This was one of the first sets I grabbed from the movie line, and it's still a favorite.

I may have a bit of a bias myself though, as Metalbeard himself was my favorite character in the film. So perhaps I'm just not critical enough? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how the reviewer found him so lacking. :/

Aye, I feel this review is a little unduly harsh. This was one of the first sets I grabbed from the movie line, and it's still a favorite.

I may have a bit of a bias myself though, as Metalbeard himself was my favorite character in the film. So perhaps I'm just not critical enough? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how the reviewer found him so lacking. :/

You said so yourself, a lot of your liking comes from watching the movie. This review was made before the movie was released.

You said so yourself, a lot of your liking comes from watching the movie. This review was made before the movie was released.

Oh, for sure. That's why I felt compelled to add the disclosure. The reviewer also opened thier critique by freely admitting that they're no fan of mechs, so I don't feel they're amiss in any real way.

I'd not read this particular review until just now and found it important to add a positive comment to the discussion. I love this set! :D