Sign in to follow this  
gherkin

10241 Maersk Line Triple-E (Sticker Sheet)

In case people were curious to know what the Triple-E's sticker sheet was like (apologies top right is a bit blurry, the sheet isn't perfectly flat):

11709279503_8b165f8b02_z.jpg

Nope there are 108 of the dark grey ones, 18 of the clear ones, 4 stars, ships name, 2 company name for the side of the hull and the details one.

In total 134 stickers to apply *oh2*:cry_sad:

Well, I'll build the ship but let whoever inherits my estate in the years to come put the stickers on. It isn't a build as much as it's like the experience you have when your wife hands you a stack of Christmas cards and tells you to put the stamps on them.

I don't see the problem here. It's a big sticker sheet, but most the stickers go on simple, flat, straight-edged surfaces that should present no problems when it comes to applying them.

The only ones that I think are bothersome are the STAMPS, and of those, only the ones on the white containers could really have been avoided (by using regular studded bricks instead of a combination of plates and tiles). The ones on the sides are mandatory to avoid mutilating the Maersk trademarks and iconography.

Could the grey containers have been printed? Probably. But I don't see why stickering is so much worse.

I don't see the problem here. It's a big sticker sheet, but most the stickers go on simple, flat, straight-edged surfaces that should present no problems when it comes to applying them.

The only ones that I think are bothersome are the STAMPS, and of those, only the ones on the white containers could really have been avoided (by using regular studded bricks instead of a combination of plates and tiles). The ones on the sides are mandatory to avoid mutilating the Maersk trademarks and iconography.

Could the grey containers have been printed? Probably. But I don't see why stickering is so much worse.

Totally agree, the stickers won't be a problem, because I won't be using 90% of them. The ship will still look great without them.

Not a problem from my point of view, i only took the photo for people who may have been curious. Will hopefully get some more up when I've completed the build - which has been quite straight forward at the moment which I imagine you can expect.

It's like a big ol' slap in the face!

Aanchir is right that there isn't a problem with these per se, and they couldn't really have been avoided, but that will still be tedious as all hell work if you care to apply them. That'd be even more tedious than building a big Architecture set with all its little bits (which is the other most tedious LEGO thing I can think of). Yes, it can be done, but it's still quite annoying.

If there was ever a sticker sheet to truly deserve the monicker 'dreaded,' it'd be this one.

Well I've just completed building it (haven't applied the stickers yet ;)), the containers as you can imagine were a little on the repetitive side, but once its all together it does look the part. I'm quite impressed with the bridge superstructure (is that a nautical term?), considering the scale a fair bit is in it.

Once i've gone through all the photos I'll try an post a review up if people would like to see it.

Thanks gherkin for the image, and I must say as good as the model looks that is a hec of a lot of stickers, should this set get reduced I may consider picking it up, and off course Id like to see you're review if that isn't too much to ask :classic:

So I wasn't planning to get this set originally because of cost, but if I was this would make me reconsider for sure.

Seems like a bad move by Lego to not print those.

In my mind, large container ships have containers of all sorts of color. Would it not be nicer, instead of using stickers, to have containers of different colors?

Applying so many stickers looks more like a punishment than fun to me.

In my mind, large container ships have containers of all sorts of color. Would it not be nicer, instead of using stickers, to have containers of different colors?

Exactly!

They probably don't have containers of different colors because even though just changing a color, even with no sticker or logo, implies a different company. This ship is maersk only, any other colors would already imply different companies on the ship. Green containers for "China Shipping" or "Evergreen", dark blue for "Hanjin", red for "K-Line". Just changing the colors already puts different company names on this one company exclusive set.

Containers are made of regular 2x4 bricks with top containers made of 2x4 plates and 2x4 flat tiles.

Almost complete parts list is available on Brickset.

You can replace some of grey containers with blue, green and red ones and you'll get a real-life ship with containers from various companies.

You can replace some of grey containers with blue, green and red ones and you'll get a real-life ship with containers from various companies.

Now that's a version of this ship I'd like to see.

In all fairness, looking at real pictures of the Triple E all the containers are different colours, however a Maersk Container is either the light grey or darker grey, thus keeping the theme strictly Maersk

Containers are made of regular 2x4 bricks with top containers made of 2x4 plates and 2x4 flat tiles.

Almost complete parts list is available on Brickset.

And as I suggested previously (on another thread about this set), using 1x2 plates/tiles (of various colours) instead of 2x4 will increase the realism, as the current model has a scale problem: there should be way more containers on that ship.

Edited by antp