Sign in to follow this  
Sjakkie83

The Black Pearl ... Again...

Hello fellow AFOLs,

I'm new here, I'm Rudy and I am from Amsterdam.

I did quite a lot of MOC ing when I was a child, and always loved pirate lego. I sold it all when I was around sixteen, unfortunately. But being an adult (with an adult pay) has given me the opportunity to buy my beloved sets back. I have all the big classic ships and islands and forts. So I'm happy!

I was happy with the POTC Lego line. Loved the movie (the first one), liked both DMC and AWE, and disliked OST. But hey, even a 'bad' pirate movie is better then any other mediocre movie. (see Cutthroat Island...)

OK, sorry for the long intro...

I was in need of a Black Pearl that was more true to the movies, but still to Lego scale. I didn't want my BSB to look small next to it.

I took a lot of inspiration from the gorgeous UCS Black pearl. Great job on that!

This is what I came up with:

pearl3.jpg

pearl10.jpg

pearl1.jpg

pearl2.jpg

pearl4.jpg

pearl5.jpg

pearl7.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone pics... I'll take some beter ones with some natural light...

It was important for me to capture the curvature of the ship, which was missing from the original set. There is an interior in the cabin, the back of the stern folds down and the 'steering deck' is removable. When removed you have lots of handroom to fiddle around in there.

The deck is also removable to work in the gundeck, but after adding rigging and all to the ship it has become a bit problematic to remove it... I'll rethink it and rebuild one of these days.

The headrails are from normal plates, as I thought this would keep the feel of the classic sets. But I think I will go back and make some tubing headrails.

This was made with an original pearl, an extra midsection and some bricklink orders, nothing too special in terms of parts was used.

So that's it! A more bulky and powerful looking pearl! Next to the BSB or SES it still looks like a slightly smaller and faster ship. Hope you like it, please feel free to offer critisism!

So

Edited by Sjakkie83

Very interesting and beautiful work! But I wish more photo!

PS : It seems to me, the mainmast and the hatch should be moved forward...

Nicely done. I've been meaning to try my hand at a more improved version. I just haven't got around to it. But yours looks well done. I like the ornamental pieces on the back of the cabin. I like the overall height of the deck. I had considered going bigger like the IFS, but at the same time, I like the smaller build of this.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments.

Indeed I like the fact that it is slightly smaller than the BSB and SES. It really looks like a fast pirate ship.

Marquis, I tried moving the main mast forward a bit, but it gave the ship a bit of a distorted look. I built this using several reference photos and this is as close as I could get it without adding another midsection.

I'm still working on the brickbuilt cannons. They're not perfect, and annoy me a bit. I'll see what I can do...

I am currently building a redcoat warship using the hull of the fugly 'whatsitcalled' ship with the action features and the white skull cabin. I added 2 midsections and looking to create a corvette. I'll open a new topic when it's done.