Aethersprite

Legends of Chima 2014 Discussion

It's a shame they aren't going to be released in the US

Nobody said it was going to be like that exactly. It's just more speculation.

Well I wouldn't be too unused to the idea of an out-of-region only release, though an increase in cost is likely going to be more than I was already wanting to spend on these figures; And some bricklink sellers charge insane amounts for international shipping..

Do keep in mind, at least in Hasbro's sake, that Hasbro is not the sole producer of it's products. For example with transformers, Takara-Tomy (who originally began the line with Diaclone) is based in japan, and their figures are marketed exclusively for Japan. Those "other region" releases are because it's a completely different company based in a different region marketing them. I'm not familiar with many Mattel lines so I can't comment on them. "No reason whatsoever" is actually very sound and thought out reasoning. Companies do pay attention to their annual reports, otherwise they wouldn't exactly be successful.

I know Takara markets items to Japan and only Japan. That's why they're not on my list. Hasbro has done it in the past where they released six figures at the tail end of the G1 toyline but only in the UK. They did it again recently with the GDO figure, which for no reason anyone can think of, were Asian market exclusives. Sure we got them here in the US eventually (due to all the whiners) but they were TRU exclusives. As for Mattel, it has to deal w/ the recent Max Steel reboot. While I understand Max Steel stayed extremely popular in Central/Latin America after the first TV show, it still makes no sense why Mattel limits the action figures to that region while producing crap toys with crap gimmicks for the US market. It's completely stupid. Again, they'd still get their more profitable sales while allow people in other regions to purchase the same items as well. It stands to reason they'd make more money if they weren't confined to one region only.

I know Takara markets items to Japan and only Japan. That's why they're not on my list. Hasbro has done it in the past where they released six figures at the tail end of the G1 toyline but only in the UK. They did it again recently with the GDO figure, which for no reason anyone can think of, were Asian market exclusives. Sure we got them here in the US eventually (due to all the whiners) but they were TRU exclusives. As for Mattel, it has to deal w/ the recent Max Steel reboot. While I understand Max Steel stayed extremely popular in Central/Latin America after the first TV show, it still makes no sense why Mattel limits the action figures to that region while producing crap toys with crap gimmicks for the US market. It's completely stupid. Again, they'd still get their more profitable sales while allow people in other regions to purchase the same items as well. It stands to reason they'd make more money if they weren't confined to one region only.

They might make more revenue. That's not the same as more profits, because profits are only calculated after you've subtracted all the distribution costs. Keeping something limited to one region means distribution costs are much lower. Running a global business isn't as simple as making every product available everywhere, because unless every region has the same demand for the products, it's a lot harder to justify making them equally available in every region. Generally, the LEGO Group succeeds admirably in making their products globally available, but it doesn't mean that they don't care or don't understand economics if in certain instances they deem it unwise to make a product globally available.

Revenue outweighing distribution and the PPF is a major player, as well as other influences; Some countries create a partnership to sell those products exclusively in their country, just like some toy stores have exclusive rights to some product lines or products. In Hasbro's case, various partnerships, as well as independent manufacturers play a role- For example, in the 80s and 90s there were some exclusive figures released in Greece, but that was because Greece had their own production companies for the line, just like takara- But just like you will commonly find Takara and hasbro's labels together, those figures had the name Hasbro on them, not La Greca. As for crap toys with crap gimmicks, different regions have different regulations as to what can and cannot be released. Many sets don't get released in a certain region because of laws against the violent nature or the type of spring-powered missile or something they include.

The list could go on for days, but the point here is, (and not to separate this from the discussion of the Chima sets any further than it already) there is always a reason. You can go on TFW and see a slew of people complaining because a slight color variant isn't coming to their country and saying that a company is stupid (hey I do it too...) But no one actually cares to figure out why they aren't being released because it could be hundreds of factors.

Which brings about the possible reasons why Chima would not be a US release (Though any speculation that is based off of foreign Amazon marketplaces putting the figures up isn't very concrete- Amazon France and UK put up early preorders and unannounced figures far more than the US Amazon does.) The fact that they haven't appeared on US is no indication they are a Euro-only release, thought with IFB being released outside of the US earlier, it's not impossible. However from what I heard from Lego, the choice to delay IFB in the US was not taken lightly and wasn't their ideal situation, so I do not believe that is related to the confusion with the Chima sets.

Ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, the whole "cancelled in the US" thing is just currently speculation. And I'm sure there's always a reason, but potential customers probably wouldn't complain as much if they knew what the reason was. I've made arguements about Hasbro possibly not releasing items but only because I knew there was precedence for said product not to be.

For now, all we have is an "if".

If they are released here, all the better. If not, I'd like to see a reason as to why.

70206_main.jpg

70207_main.jpg

70208_main.jpg

70209_main.jpg

70210_main.jpg

70211_main.jpg

70212_main.jpg

EDIT: Aanchir posted the bags too.

Edited by DraikNova

70206 CHI Laval

Package

70207 CHI Cragger

Package

70208 CHI Panthar

Package

70209 CHI Mungus

Package

70210 CHI Vardy

Package

70211 CHI Fluminox

Package

70212 CHI Sir Fangar

Package

There are two more pictures for each set, but they're just the package from slightly different angles. They don't reveal anything new about the product, since the front side of the package is all you can really see in any of them.

For ease of browsing, Brickset has pics of all seven sets, though they're not entirely consistent (they got the package pic for CHI Laval and the out-of-package pics for all the others).

Wait, is that tail piece new? Or is it the Witch Doctor one? Wouldn't Panthar's tail be an illegal connection then...?

Wait, is that tail piece new? Or is it the Witch Doctor one? Wouldn't Panthar's tail be an illegal connection then...?

What part of it would be illegal? The end? The tail pieces have a segment at the tip that's meant for bar connections or anything that fits them.

No, there's a 3.2mm shaft at the end of the tail, which makes the connection with the Technic piece possible. ;)

EDIT : Ninja'd by Bfahome. :laugh:

Edited by Leewan

In any case, I'm pretty sure it's the same tail piece from Witch Doctor, Pyrox, and the Ben 10 Alien Force sets. When you look at it in this image you can see that the upper side is hollow towards the base. Plus, it's too large to be the classic dinosaur tail piece that was used for Dragon Bolt's horns.

New parts in these sets include the new torso shell, the new silver blades, the new gold shell detail, the new claws used for Panthar's toes (also available in Tr. Fluore. Reddish Orange and Tr. Light Blue in the Chima playsets), the new wings used for Vardy and Fluminox, and of course the various new heads. I haven't spotted any other new parts.

On a side note, who else is pleased with all the constraction parts showing up in the Legends of Chima playsets? There's quite a variety of them, including some exclusive recolors like the Dark Brown torso shell in 70145 and the Flame Yellowish Orange paws in 70144. Even the parts that aren't in new colors, like the "fur" detail pieces in Dark Red in 70146, should be good for constraction builders because they'll probably reduce the price of these parts in the aftermarket.

That's great, I agree. The new small claws in tr. light blue are among the pieces I'm looking forward to the most, they'll make the perfect toes for the Beasts.

And while we're at it, Battle for Ninjago City includes a pair of "Rocka blades" in gold.

These sets are looking quite cool, Sir Fangar and the Mammoth are my favorites, something is very Bionicle about these sets, maybe its the more tribal like theme and zamor launchers. :laugh:

I'm not too bothered about the not-US release speculation, I guess this is one of the more rare instances were living in the north isn't that much of a disadvantage :classic:

These sets are looking quite cool, Sir Fangar and the Mammoth are my favorites, something is very Bionicle about these sets, maybe its the more tribal like theme and zamor launchers. :laugh:

I'm not too bothered about the not-US release speculation, I guess this is one of the more rare instances were living in the north isn't that much of a disadvantage :classic:

If by north you mean Canada, you will probably also be our of luck, as LEGO US and LEGO Canada share distribution channels almost entirely, they are grouped together under "North America" by TLG. 99.9% of the time, if it isn't in the US it also won't be in Canada.

If, of course, these get an actual release, and then if they aren't released in America.

Funny that the torso is one piece, rather than a shell with an add-on. I guess I finally have a use for those gunmetal zamors. I really love those new claw pieces. Too bad none of the action figures include it in tr. light blue.

I really dislike that new blade piece, though.

If by north you mean Canada, you will probably also be our of luck, as LEGO US and LEGO Canada share distribution channels almost entirely, they are grouped together under "North America" by TLG. 99.9% of the time, if it isn't in the US it also won't be in Canada.

If, of course, these get an actual release, and then if they aren't released in America.

The country listed on his profile is Norway, so I think he's referring to northern Europe.

The country listed on his profile is Norway, so I think he's referring to northern Europe.

Well in context that makes far less sense than Canada.

Well in context that makes far less sense than Canada.

Is it so? In Northern Europe LEGO is more expensive than in US and the sets are released later. Especially in Norway, where everything is very expensive due to high state of living.

Edited by pig

Funny that the torso is one piece, rather than a shell with an add-on. I guess I finally have a use for those gunmetal zamors. I really love those new claw pieces. Too bad none of the action figures include it in tr. light blue.

I really dislike that new blade piece, though.

I'd have preferred a chest armour add on as well. My guess is that in order for the Zamors to fit, the piece had to be bulky enough to not be fragile- a thin add on piece a la 2.0 chest armour might've been too flimsy.

I don't like the new blade either, the detailing is nice, so is the double axle connection, but the shape itself doesn't look very good.

I don't like the new blade either, the detailing is nice, so is the double axle connection, but the shape itself doesn't look very good.

The ideas that spring to me are namely some sort of bladed longbow or perhaps wings. Maybe an axe head or something, either way I like these a bit better than those translucent weapons we had gotten in the first wave.

Really? To me, the various simple yet colorful weapons of the first wave are far more useful than these incredibly ornate weapons.

PS: Your text wasn't colored properly, Shakar.

I was okay with the sword parts that Laval had, but the parts that Cragger uses just don't appeal to me, nor do the blades that make up Eris's axe. I can certainly see how they may be more versitile than these newer parts, but for my style of building I find the more detailed parts to be pleasing.

Though color is another matter, I would prefer these to not be only in silver.

I'd have preferred a chest armour add on as well. My guess is that in order for the Zamors to fit, the piece had to be bulky enough to not be fragile- a thin add on piece a la 2.0 chest armour might've been too flimsy.

Fragility is far from the only issue. There's no way you could fit a Zamor sphere into a part like the Super Heroes chest plate without it being tremendously bulky (i.e. about three times as thick as the actual Super Heroes chest plate). I fully understand that the pop-out CHI function wouldn't work with any existing torso shell, but I personally don't feel like it was worth the sacrifice. Every previous torso shell has had at least three connection points (a ball snap and two holes for 3.2mm bars). The Breakout torso shell had five (including the two on the utility belt) and the Brain Attack torso shell had seven (including the four used to attach the locking clamps). So you can understand my disappointment that the first unique torso shell for the Legends of Chima theme has only two connection points, including one that's next to useless for anything besides housing a Zamor sphere. I'd have much preferred a new part for the CHI core which could be used with a more versatile connection point.

The new blade isn't bad, but I probably wouldn't use it for Hero Factory models. I like the shape (these sets already demonstrate its versatility with four different weapon designs), but it's too ornate to fit into a theme without Chima's heavy fantasy aspects. I preferred last year's Chima weapons from a MOCing perspective, despite them having fewer connection points, because their design was simpler and could be used effectively for sci-fi, fantasy, or anything in between. Plus, I really like the sense of power (whether mystical or technological) that those brighter translucent colors convey.

Edited by Aanchir