55 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Totally wonderful!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Actual set, or just Western parts pack? We're looking at…

11656778036_0ae2dbb209_b.jpg

Set Title: Getaway Glider

Set #: 70800

Theme: The LEGO Movie

Pieces: 104

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 2014

Price at Release: USD 13

Browse the pictures? Flickr set

INTRODUCTION

This set always looked enticing. Not because the glider was great, but because the western minifigures looked terrific, it comes with a horse, and there are some neat rare parts like the cow horns and chicken in metallic. So is this anything more than a minifigure and parts pack? Let's see!

BOX

The box is small and boxy, with a nice western background. It's a small set, so what you see is what you get. And what you see looks enticing.

11656263103_ed134a638c_b.jpg

On the back it seems that the glider is true to its name; it helped Emmet get away. But for some reason the robots ditched their weapons.

11656764646_edd7db4f2f_b.jpg

The top gives us our character names - it seems the sheriff is trying to fool people about his mechanical identity, while the deputy doesn't care much.

11656366604_76d22706ef_b.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

The instruction manual is small and comes folded over to fit in the box, both of which you'd probably expect.

11656252383_471267181f_b.jpg

Plain color scheme, easy to follow, yada yada.

11656769986_cc14590ed1_b.jpg

Apparently I didn't take a picture of the sticker sheet, but you'll be able to see the four stickers on the finished model.

MINIFIGURES

As it often happens in small sets, the minifigures are a real highlight. The two western figures are terrific - the sheriff has an awesome new hat mould with extra-folded sides, and a wonderful new gigantic mustache piece that goes around his neck, like most beards. His torso and legs are also wonderful. The deputy also has terrific western printing without any grey skin showing, so it can easily be used for human minifigures. He features the Lone Ranger-style hat, exclusively in brown.

11656353834_e011f97754_b.jpg

Both robots also feature exclusive faces, which help diversify the evil bots across this line. I found it interesting that LEGO reverted to the old pistol mould (as opposed to the megabloks-ish Lone Ranger one), but it's great, since the old mould is really much better. The deputy has the new robot gun that appears in this line, a nice new addition to the LEGO weapons arsenal.

11656242433_063811c106_b.jpg

Everybody has some appropriate back printing as well.

11656768436_aa3d494aac_b.jpg

EXTRA PARTS

The extra parts are actually worth noting in this set because you get an extra cow horn (and this is only its second and appearance), and an EXTRA MUSTACHE! That's right, an EXTRA MUSTACHE! I was truly thrilled to see this.

11656255953_61c11266af_b.jpg

SET - HORSE & CACTUS

In my opinion, one can never have too many horses. The more people you can mount on rides for a MOC, the better. So it's great to get horses in small sets, as that makes them easier to build up in great number. As usual, this one comes with bricks to "make it nude" and a saddle for the sheriff. The cactus is a cute little build, and green is always a desirable color, so I like it.

11656348844_6d6ec7b8ec_b.jpg

SET - GLIDER

Now for the "meat" of the set: the glider. Honestly, it's kind of cool looking, but I think most AFOLs would agree that the parts are more interesting than their sum. I mean, we're talking about five of the new 1x2 slope in dark brown, two of the new clip with hole for rod pieces in grey, two cattle horns, a dark brown barrel, and a metallic chicken. That's some great stuff for a small set.

11656001665_ed81d2313c_b.jpg

Even the four stickers are useful for western builders. I can't help feeling that this set was actually made for AFOLs craving some western stuff to help build western MOCs. I'm sure it wasn't actually, but it kind of feels like that with all the great parts that are worked in.

11656001535_72c7e71be4_b.jpg

Not much to see from the back. Plain and simple backside.

11656001175_e1087857ea_b.jpg

COMPLETE SET and CONCLUSION

11656364394_881d1db0e8_b.jpg

Terrific minifigures and a terrific small parts selection for a low price. Need I say more? If you like western at all, go buy this set! It's that simple.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Sherriff Not-a-robot? :laugh: . Great review! I want this, such a great parts pack!

Wow, this set looks amazing! And for $13? I'm an almost strictly Technic builder, but this is an instant buy.

That new mustache part looks incredible, and IT COMES WITH TWO OF THEM!!! :excited:

Liking that new gun mould too.... :thumbup:

TLH

Though I'm not sure of the details of movie, isn't this horse a Bot? It could be interesting if we can get a machine-printed gray horse.

This is a fantastic set. We got it yesterday and It's just wonderful. Lego robot Wild West, what's not to love about that? The sheriff is one of the best figures I've ever seen, the printing means the bodies can all be used with regular heads, and the moustache piece is an inspired piece of whimsy. Well done TLG!! And thanks again CO'P.

Well, this is a much better small set than the Melting room. Those western/robot minifigures are amazing and the glider looks pretty great as well :sweet:

I grabbed this last night at the Lego Store. A great build and the parts will be used in many MOCs that I have planned.

Nice set, love the old western theme reference! Can you guess what I'm talking about? (Hint; Bandits Weelgun. :wink: )

Thank you for the review!

Hmm not the best glider I've seen but I think the minifigures make it worth it :sweet:

My favorite set so far! I have to say that in my opinion the actual builds for the sets all seem terribly poor from an aesthetic point of view.

Honestly though as an AFOL and fan of mainly Minifigs I think they are all ace and in particular this one as the accessories bricks and Minifigs are just ACE!

And at a great price point too!

All over this one!

Nice set, love the old western theme reference! Can you guess what I'm talking about? (Hint; Bandits Weelgun. :wink: )

Are you talking about the keep out sign? That was also on bandits secret hideout.

I've already ordered this set, for all the parts, and the mini figures are great! One coan never have too many Emmett's, as you can just change the heads and legs and throw them in your construction crew.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review. I primarily want the robots for my Halloween Town. But everything looks great. I think I'll have to pick up the whole thing

Great review. I picked up the set last night at Target, just need time to build it now.

This is definitely a must buy, probably one of the best small sets I've seen. I'll be picking this one up for sure.

It's definitely the cowboy parts that sell it for me, and getting an extra mustache is fantastic news. Great review!