67 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Bad Cop
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Good Cop

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

To be Bad Cop, or not to be Bad Cop? That's a question you could roleplay with…

11656618406_3f4489d148_b.jpg

Set Title: Bad Cop's Pursuit

Set #: 70802

Theme: The LEGO Movie

Pieces: 314

Minifigures: 2

Year of Release: 2014

Price at Release: USD 30

Browse the pictures? Flickr set

INTRODUCTION

Ask me which LEGO Movie sets I was least interested in, and this would've been at the top of my list. Only one unique minifigure, some random tower construction thing, and a car - not exactly that exciting. It seemed to compete with all of the other sets at this price point, the 2-in-1s, all of which seemed to be a lot better than this. But was my initial reaction correct? Let's find out!

BOX

Lots of action on the box, but again, not that much excitement. The cop car looks ok, but the other thing just looks like an excuse to have more parts in the set.

11655854285_ba4151c981_b.jpg

The back doesn't exactly do much to help. The highlight seems to be the cop figure.

11656624196_2210b15b51_b.jpg

Just two minifigures in this set - Bad Cop, and another Emmet that you'll probably get in a different set. Admittedly, this is the only way to get Bad Cop/Good Cop in a set, but he alone wouldn't be enough reason to buy this.

11656103003_75829511a9_b.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS

Just one booklet for this set, and one small sticker sheet. Not too bad.

11655819335_efd53353f7_b.jpg

Same dull color scheme inside as all the other sets, but oh well. It does the job.

11656184754_cbd0e1a149_b.jpg

MINIFIGURES

Emmet, as always, is useful if a bit dull, but Bad Cop is truly cool. I love the over-the-top angry face with the cool shades, and the helmet is a great new mould. The torso is nice standard cop affair.

11656589496_5b94a4a8a4_b.jpg

Both have alternate faces: the extremely silly Good Cop face, and Emmet's annoying scared face. The Good Cop face is terrific.

11655823605_651d923bb1_b.jpg

Both hair/hat pieces are nice all around. Bad/Good Cop has some nice back printing too.

11656075913_3e2eaa5821_b.jpg

A word about the new gun (making its only appearance so far out of Star Wars) - it works magnificently. I saw some reviews of Star Wars sets that say that it works sometimes and not others, but I'm not sure what those people did wrong, since it works every time for me. I get that it's no replacement for accurate guns in SW, but it's a really nice weapon that works very well. I can imagine kids (and myself) having a lot of fun shooting minifigures with this.

11656183584_ba4cb0e31a_b.jpg

ANIMALS

We get two nice dark green cop gators; standard gator affair, but they're not in that many sets so it's nice to see them pop up again every once in a while.

11655779445_7a4a78fe43_b.jpg

SET - RAILWAY

Here's the thing that I took to be a bit of a throwaway, but it's actually an excellent construction. The build on the broken-down rails is great, and overall this thing looks lovely in real life.

11655814165_0a80c134da_b.jpg

There's some nice little stone detailing with a frog down in the water, but what really makes this great is the play feature. You can push the red part to make the hanging track lock upright.

11656071983_cea6f0e840_b.jpg

Emmet thinks he's safe standing up on the rails (even if he's freaking out).

11655772225_eb6c0e9da1_b.jpg

And then you can pull out the red part again, and down he goes! It works very well, and I love that you can both lock it up and let it down with the same technic part.

11655812215_5f9f9834de_b.jpg

SET - COP CAR

So the rail part looked surprisingly good, but the cop flying car is really amazing. The shaping is great, giving it a really sleek and fast look that just screams to swooshed around.

11656613456_eb6010cf5b_b.jpg

I'm not sure these pictures show it well enough, but this car looks really really great. The designer did an outstanding job.

11656099243_3b591010d6_b.jpg

The back has a great thrusters construction that makes it look like quite a fast flying machine.

11656616586_672e02543d_b.jpg

The inside is quite roomy. Plenty of space for Bad Cop to get comfortable and enjoy pursuing people.

11656606156_64e6293b89_b.jpg

The sides lift up to reveal guns that are packed away. This feature is really unobtrusive when folded up. I always love some trans-yellow, even if it's just boat tiles.

11656085893_a1ca0b942c_b.jpg

The guns fold out and back to become cop-colored weapons for to pew-pew away Bad Cop's enemies.

11656087503_5c5fb192e0_b.jpg

The car looks a little strange with the wings up, and I wish they could fold back down somehow once the guns were out, but it's still plenty swooshable and doesn't ruin the look.

11656611556_6bcf1d10bb_b.jpg

Overall, just a terrific flying car. I haven't experienced a model I liked this much in a while (although the SWAT truck in the Cycle Chase set is pretty amazing too).

11656087503_5c5fb192e0_b.jpg

EXTRAS

Not too many extra pieces of note. You get a second one of the piece that shoots the studs in the new gun, but I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with that.

11656082803_da093af2fc_b.jpg

COMPLETE SET and CONCLUSION

11656189254_44ed69ab35_b.jpg

To my great surprise, I've come away thinking that this set is a bit of a must-buy. The builds are great, especially the car car, which is simply outstanding. There is an excellent amount of pieces for the price, and though the minifigures might not sell this set, Bad Cop is great. I imagine a lot of people will want to get him after seeing the movie, since he seems to play a sizable role.

Even though this is one of five sets at this price range for the line, I'd definitely consider getting this one. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I agree, the flying car is really sleek looking and it's great. But Bad Cop comes in the CMF series, and I have little use for the parts once I take it apart besides the 4 columns. I'll have to skip out on this one, but great review!

Edited by BrickRally217

I'm not to sure about this set, Bad Cop and the Car look great though. Might pick it up at some point, maybe seeing it in stores will change my mind. Thanks for the review though, very informative.

Edited by Lance

Nice to see all these great reviews, have really helped me narrow down the wishlist as to what to buy, what not to buy and what to buy the good bits from on Bricklink.

Just waiting for the review of the fire mecha set to see how good it is then I will have my wishlist completed :)

Although this is one of the few sets where it is not buildable into a second set I still credit Lego for making a better boat than in the Iron Man set.

Thanks for the great review. I am sure this set will be really popular among kids. The car is fantastic.

I understand that this set will not appeal AFOLs that much. However, there are plenty of sets for us to enjoy in 2014.

"Thanks for the great review. I am sure this set will be really popular among kids."

That's certainly the situation in my house - my kids have seen the sets and are crazy about this and the bike sets, and are now saving up to buy them. I wasn't so sure they were worth the money, but Clone O's reviews have shown me they are while maybe some of the 2 in 1s aren't.

Thanks for the great review. I'm going to pick it up. Like you said, I really love the car design. It looks very 'Blade Runner' or Ghost in the Shell, futuristic. And will compliment my modded BTTF Delorean very will.

The figures look fun. And the 'Bad Cop' minifig reminds me of Terminator 2, when the T-1000 walks up to the car and asks, "Have you seen this boy?"

The railway section, especially the 4 support/gantry posts will be repurposed for my Batman Beyond batcave project,

Thanks again.

This set looks great! I think that if TLG had made the old 1X16 rail pieces in different lengths the track would be better though,

I've been trying to build a car like this, but this is way better than my design. Another must buy.

Out of the entire Movie range, this set is the one I've been looking forward to most.

The car looks like something out of Fifth Element!

Now I've just gotta wait for these to be released in Australia... :(

This looks like a redux of that Agents swamp set. Right down to the remote controlled crocs...

Steve

I agree, the flying car is really sleek looking and it's great. But Bad Cop comes in the CMF series, and I have little use for the parts once I take it apart besides the 4 columns. I'll have to skip out on this one, but great review!

In the CMF Line, he is scribble-face bad cop, with no special good cop face, but the alternate face looking like it was scribbled on.

this set looks really good, the cop speeder is nice. i just wish there were more minifigs included. thanks for the review anyway

Good review, although the set looks nice, I prefer some of the sets at the other price range (i.e. icecream).

Thanks for the great review. I am sure this set will be really popular among kids. The car is fantastic.

I understand that this set will not appeal AFOLs that much. However, there are plenty of sets for us to enjoy in 2014.

I don't know. While the car looks really cool built according to directions, I'm wondering how well it would convert to a "regular" police car. I've been considering trying to change out the blue pieces on my CITY police cars for black and if I did, a conversion of this set would make a great addition.

I have to echo the Fifth Element feel to the car. I got this a couple days ago, and I can't stop swooshing it. It's a fantastic design, reminiscent of a number of sci-fi movie vehicles and Syd Mead designs. I wish LEGO would do a whole theme of sets in this vein..Future City. Alas, I get the sense that the designers/movie creators were given quite a bit of freedom to create stuff for the movie that we would not otherwise see in regular LEGO themes. We can't have SWAT in City Police, but we can have Robo-SWAT, and Skeletron makes for a nice Terminator. Anyway, the sets that look best to me in this line are general y the Robo-Police sets and Benny's Spaceship.

Edited by M'Kyuun