Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

Chopping Wood

A quick build to get something else in before CCCXI ends :sad: for the "A Child's Life" category.

11632093243_bc4de92b13_o.jpg

A young boy works with his father and grandfather in a pine grove. While the adults cut down the trees and trim the trunks to length, the boy loads the cart for transport to the local village.

I was hoping to get a full 6 builds in for CCC (and have most/all be GoH related! :wink: ), but working full time plus starting a masters plus the holidays conspired against me. This is also my first attempt at "fixing" not-so-good pictures with post processing. I'm fairly pleased with the results, but it took lots of help/teasing from one of my younger brothers who's a Photoshop genius. :head_back:

I'd like UoP credits for:

• Agriculture & Zoology - logging
  • Anthropology - countryside scene
  • Anthropology - life in Mitgardia

Flickr

C&C appreciated - now on to Book II Challenge 1!

Great scene! I like the base shape, and overall composition is really nice.

really nice scene, would have made a great entry in the mitgardian community build too!

The shape of the base is great! It's always nice to see how many details you put in such a small build!

Great scene! I like the base shape, and overall composition is really nice.

Thanks Torgar!

I like it. Very nice. :thumbup:

Thank you!

Great MOC, I like the irregular base!

Thanks, I like how they look, but not how long it takes me to build them!

really nice scene, would have made a great entry in the mitgardian community build too!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Is that still going on?

The shape of the base is great! It's always nice to see how many details you put in such a small build!

Thanks Simon - we're missing you in Mitgardia! :sad:

beautiful scene :) nice

Thanks Gunman!

Good job with the landscaping! I also like that tree technique a lot, simple but very efficient :classic: Great choice of hair pieces for the figs also.

UoP +1 for the claims.

A small note on the photography: when using a small light source as it seems you did (judging by the shadows) its easy to get glare in the flat surfaces. Try to use more dim light sources, or at least turn the build or parts of it to avoid the strongest reflections. I'm mentioning this because the snowshoes almost look printed white :wink: Turning them a few degrees compared to the camera would probably have removed that.

Good luck in the challenge!

Edited by Gideon

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Is that still going on?

oh yeah it does, it just got overlaped by the AoM a bit! So you just say where in Mitgardia this is and add it to the mcb thread!

Good job with the landscaping! I also like that tree technique a lot, simple but very efficient :classic: Great choice of hair pieces for the figs also.

UoP +1 for the claims.

A small note on the photography: when using a small light source as it seems you did (judging by the shadows) its easy to get glare in the flat surfaces. Try to use more dim light sources, or at least turn the build or parts of it to avoid the strongest reflections. I'm mentioning this because the snowshoes almost look printed white :wink: Turning them a few degrees compared to the camera would probably have removed that.

Good luck in the challenge!

Yeah, those shadows were nasty. I need to 1.) take pictures when the sun's up to get more ambient light; & 2.) get a diffuser or something for the lower lights I use on the sides. Good tip on the reflections, I never notice them until I've got the pics transferred over to the computer.

oh yeah it does, it just got overlaped by the AoM a bit! So you just say where in Mitgardia this is and add it to the mcb thread!

Hot diggity. Headed over there now...

Reflections in lego bricks are nasty, especially since historical builds tend to show mostly supposedly non-shiny materials...

It can be remedied with Photoshop/GIMP of course, but that's most probably more time consuming than setting up the right conditions at the original shot :wink:

Excellent scene, it reminds me of a MOC you built around this time last year. The snow effects are superb and I like the irregular base :thumbup:

UoP DoH +1 for all claims.

Thanks!

Excellent scene, it reminds me of a MOC you built around this time last year. The snow effects are superb and I like the irregular base :thumbup:

Yeah, I need to build a building or something. Kinda in a rut! Challenge 1 should pull me out :blush:

Lovely little diorama mrcp6d, with lots of detail and personality. The irregular base really tightens the composition and makes the elements of the scene stand out. UoP +1 for all claims. :classic:

• Not sure about the logging, as this doesn't strike me as logging, but as gathering firewood.

But: +1 for the following:

• Anthropology - countryside scene
  • Anthropology - life in Mitgardia

The irregular base is so nice on this one! The moc itself is also eye candy! Great work!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.

Kayne approved all the credits over PM this morning.

As you only need one credit for the logging I give it to you. Admittedly not very big logs but since you do have a felled tree there I think you can claim it legitimately. Just at first glance though, I would have agreed with Ska...

so the moral of that was, try to make it more obvious next time! :grin:

How'd I miss this? :look:. Great MOC! I love the trees and rocks! You have perfect snowscaping! :classic::thumbup: