Blakstone

Middle-Earth Madness - Rohan Battle Pack vs The Watcher in the Water [

This is second week of Middle-Earth Madness. Rohan Battle Pack was victorious last week.

If you had to pick only one Dream set, which would it be?

Rohan Battle Pack

OR

Watcher In The Water

Just like last week, these are dream sets so there is no hard or fast rule on what has to be included in either. Imagine you had a chance to greenlight just one LEGO Lord of the Rings set based on a simple description. Which one would you want?

Summary from previous week(s):

Week 1 - Rohan Battle Pack defeats The Green Dragon 23 to 4.

This is a bit tougher. I don't think Rohan really got the attention it deserved when it comes to the soldiers since we only got one grunt and Eomer. At the same time, a Watcher in the Water set would be totally unique and offer a creature unlike any other in Middle Earth. I think in the end I would have to go with the Rohan Battle pack though due to me being a huge army builder fan. Three to four new soldiers all with new prints, 1-2 new helms and another horse in a different color would be perfect.

Edited by Deathleech

Also Rohan Battle pack. The chance we get new minifigures in the Battlepack is much higher then with the Watcher in the Water, we already got the Fellowship in that attire and we only know how the Watcher looks from above, so it would be a static object.

Watcher in the water with the doors of Durin, Frodo, Legolas and either Aragorn or Boromir would be a great set. But ... I'd still love a Bit more variety in my Rohirrim - royal guard helmet, green shield with a white horse etc - so although it's a tough call, Rohan Battle Pack gets my vote again.

not a huge fan of battle pack, but in my opinion the watcher would be a useless set.

So i vote for the battlepack.

The watcher would be a great, unique set. LEGO made a sweet design for in the LoTR videogame, but I'm still gonna have to vote for the Rohan Battle Pack.

I think the watcher would be a cool set, but I'm going to have to go with Rohan BP again. It would need some variety though. It can't just be the same soldier we got in the Uruk-Hai Army.

This thread really needs to have a poll attached, btw.

SirBlake, that is an excellent idea but someone has to have 500 posts before making a poll. If one of the Mods would like to add one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Watcher in the water , on a side note, you should try to put up a pull for these.

SirBlake, that is an excellent idea but someone has to have 500 posts before making a poll. If one of the Mods would like to add one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Really? Weird rule. Hopefully a mod will help us out here because this bracket is a great idea.

Rohan Battle pack. It's much more relevant than the Watcher in the water, which is a very small part of the movies, plus I don't think lego would ever make one. The Rohan soldiers are a huge part of the movies (Helm's Deep, Pelenor fields, battle at the Black Gate), and we need more of them. It'd be especially great if it came with a horse, since they are also a pretty big part.

I would go for the Watcher since it's a brilliant boss battle scene and could help flesh out the pitiful representation that Moria currently has. The Doors of Durin are an iconic image from the books, since they are one of the very few things Tolkien actually drew a picture of, and I think this would be a great set.

There wouldn't be any new minifigs, though, so no one here will vote for it. Insert sad minifig face here.

Im waiting for Gondor soldiers....but since neither of the options will have them...I vote for Rohan.

Yeah, if a Gondor BP goes up against Rohan, it's gonna be a slaughter. We're all dying to get some Gondor soldiers.

I'm going for the Rohan BP again. The Watcher in the water just doesn't offer very much apart from the entrance to the Mines.

We already sort of had a Rohan Battle Pack with Uruk-hai Army. It's easy enough to create more soldiers, though perhaps not with only the pieces used in the set. The Thor polybag set that came out last year (I think) gives another face with blond facial hair, and also a blond hairpiece which could be used to create more unique soldiers for Rohan. The Watcher in the Water, on the other hand, would be an awesome unique creature, and a wonderful addition to the already released Mines of Moria set. Maybe have it include Merry, who, while not unique, only appears in one other set (Attack on Weathertop). Don't have Legolas, Boromir, or Pippin in it though, since they already appear in the previously mentioned Mines of Moria set. :wink:

We already sort of had a Rohan Battle Pack with Uruk-hai Army. It's easy enough to create more soldiers, though perhaps not with only the pieces used in the set. The Thor polybag set that came out last year (I think) gives another face with blond facial hair, and also a blond hairpiece which could be used to create more unique soldiers for Rohan.

Couldn't the exact same be said about the Watcher in the Water if he is brick built? We already have tons of tentacle molds and other ways to recreate the Watcher in the Water with existing pieces. I think it's just as easy, if not more so to recreate a Watcher than it is a band of Rohan soldiers. I mean sure the Rohan soldiers aren't THAT hard to make since a variety of Castle torsos and fleshy heads make building the rag tag band fairly easy. But the Watcher isn't hard either. I think the main thing a Rohan battle pack could offer that we can't get anywhere else is a new Rohan helm mold. Something like either of these:

RohanHelms.jpg

A new helm mold would make the set really appealing not only to LotR fans, but Castle/History fans alike. Then just throw in a posable horse in another color (even though they are widely available in other themes), Gamling as the unique character, and 3 grunts all with different prints and you have an AMAZING battle pack imo. It would be significantly better for Rohan army building than the Uruk-hai Army set. That set only gave us one helm mold and one grunt with a unique Eomer, which isn't much of an army builder at all. Just to get a band of 10 purist Rohan soldiers I would have to spend $300 bucks MSRP on Uruk-hai Army sets.

Edited by Deathleech