Sebeus I

Barquentine: the Christine

[pid][/pid]

A barquentine, also known as a schooner bark, is defined as a three-master, foremast being square rigged while the main and other masts are fore-and-aft rigged.

This combination makes it an excellent ship to sail close to the wind while it still has a good performance before the wind.

This is my second try at costum rigging (the first one being the dutchman).

dsc01160.jpg

I optimized my variant of CGH's technique, instead of creating multiple offsets and slanted sections I use built the ships' side in one piece and attach it with no more than two hinge pieces per side. Originally I created this variant when I was short of hinge plates (in CGH's tutorial you need a lot of those), now I see it as a much better technique for small ships.

This barquentine (4 midsections) is about the biggest you can achieve with this technique, when you want to build a bigger ship CGH's technique is a much better choice.

During the building proces I considered the possibilities of making a frigate with my variant technique (Frigate meaning a ship with a continuing gun deck).

If I would raise the channels holding the rigging and sacrifice the galleries I could give this ship a broadside of 10 cannons, a decent 20 gun frigate as it were.

However raising the channels means that the ship will be taller, which looks less good.

So I guess if you really want to build a battleship this is not it :pir-grin: .

The specifications:

• 4 midsections for a large prefab hull.
  • Capacity of 12 cannons (and such many cannon ports).
  • Fully functional capstan
  • Interior (although no easy access).

Anyway, enjoy the pictures :pir-wink: .

The functional capstan:

This is what really sets this MOC apart from other ships, as far as I know only my ships feature this kind of sophisticated capstan so you can guess it's something I like to brag about :pir-classic: .

The inner workings:

dsc01134.jpg

dsc01176.jpg

dsc01193.jpg

dsc01166.jpg

Some on-board pictures;

dsc01179.jpg

dsc01183.jpg

Ah, vintage doors and windows, I love them, perfect for a tall ship.

dsc01185.jpg

dsc01186.jpg

The totally functional capstan :pir-grin: .

dsc01201.jpg

A look into the cabin from the stern.

The cabin used to be accessible but when I started on the rigging it became complicated.

dsc01191.jpg

I hope you liked it, I think I'm done with the good old prefab hull now, moving on to some bigger hulls now :pir-classic: .

Other ships with this tumblehome technique include my Brig-of-war, merchant brig, pirate brig and polacca.

Interesting fact: There was only one barquentine indexed in the MOC ship index, the previous version of this ship.

So you could say I'm the proud owner of the only barquentine at Classic Pirates :pir-tongue: .

Edited by Sebeus I

Ah, sebeus! When you told me in Antwerp you were done doing ships I was really kind of dissapointed as I really like your ships. Especially the smaller ones, exactly the sort of stuff I'd build if I hadn't gotten into carracks and caravels. Anyway, a lot of good stuff to be seen here, some of which also represent some of the experience I gained building my ships which actually only use two midsection. I too, use only a handfull of hinges and I also prefer to use smaller scale windows and doors. So really nice ships.

Some things I'd improve: I don't really like that you can see studs between the red and the black section, do you think you can put some plates in there?

And, I'd also move away from the techinc bricks to attach the shrouds, instead I started to use half fences as you can see in this pic:

dscn2078.jpg

anyway, looking forward to more ships from you

Let's compare it with the previous version:

1335777408m_DISPLAY.jpg

Some great improvements! Although the look of the folded sails is a bit too tube-like for my taste, I like the custom sails.

The deck details have also improved and I really like the look of the white cabin doors.

The black cones in the railings are nice as well. All in all there's enough difference between this ship and your previous one to get a seperate Index image pirate_classic.gif

Can't wait to see bigger-scale ships!

Ah, sebeus! When you told me in Antwerp you were done doing ships I was really kind of dissapointed as I really like your ships. Especially the smaller ones, exactly the sort of stuff I'd build if I hadn't gotten into carracks and caravels. Anyway, a lot of good stuff to be seen here, some of which also represent some of the experience I gained building my ships which actually only use two midsection. I too, use only a handfull of hinges and I also prefer to use smaller scale windows and doors. So really nice ships.

Some things I'd improve: I don't really like that you can see studs between the red and the black section, do you think you can put some plates in there?

And, I'd also move away from the techinc bricks to attach the shrouds, instead I started to use half fences as you can see in this pic:

dscn2078.jpg

anyway, looking forward to more ships from you

Thanks,

after (and during) Brickmania I got interested again, now my submarines are gathering dust instead of my ships pir_laugh2.gif .

Oh yes, the red studs, I was going to place black cheese slopes on them (because a tile just wouldn't fit) but kit seems I forgot, looking at the pictures it's clear that I really must fix this ASAP.

Those half fences look great, I didn't give it much thought as I'm still relatively new to costum rigging.

By the way, did you ever finished the Endeavour ?

Edited by Sebeus I

Beautiful!

And nice reuse of some more old-fashioned LEGO doors.... pirate_laugh2.gif

Hats off to the rigging and the custom-made sails. I fear that a lot of work went into them, so I'll rather stick to the usual plastic rigging.

However, are you planning to add more work to the shrouds?

I have been too busy to barely visit this forum but now, seeing this, I can't avoid commenting pirate_classic.gif

I dare to say this is probably one of your best ships so far! I really like the deck view, this has to be one of my favourite photos:

dsc01179.jpg

I'm stunned with the amount of details you managed to put in such a small space. Although I agree with AC on the sails I think they look very good and the rigging is simple but very clean overall, great job pirate_blush.gif The only thing actually bothering me are the galleries, they look a bit like a cube popping out of the ship, don't they?

Let's compare it with the previous version:

Some great improvements! Although the look of the folded sails is a bit too tube-like for my taste, I like the custom sails.

The deck details have also improved and I really like the look of the white cabin doors.

The black cones in the railings are nice as well. All in all there's enough difference between this ship and your previous one to get a seperate Index image pirate_classic.gif

Can't wait to see bigger-scale ships!

Thanks,

About the folded sails... it's really a disadvantage of using plain paper I guess, maybe I'll unfold the sails to solve it.

Beautiful!

And nice reuse of some more old-fashioned LEGO doors.... pirate_laugh2.gif

Hats off to the rigging and the custom-made sails. I fear that a lot of work went into them, so I'll rather stick to the usual plastic rigging.

However, are you planning to add more work to the shrouds?

Thanks, the rope I used is rather thick, so are the knots I make with it, I first tried to add the horizontal ropes in the shrouds but by doing so the shrouds deformed, which gave them a loose and ineffective look.

I may have to use some other kind of rope for that.

I have been too busy to barely visit this forum but now, seeing this, I can't avoid commenting pirate_classic.gif

I dare to say this is probably one of your best ships so far! I really like the deck view, this has to be one of my favourite photos:

I'm stunned with the amount of details you managed to put in such a small space. Although I agree with AC on the sails I think they look very good and the rigging is simple but very clean overall, great job pirate_blush.gif The only thing actually bothering me are the galleries, they look a bit like a cube popping out of the ship, don't they?

Thanks, good to have you here once more pirate_satisfied.gif .

The galleries look great when looking from the bow, they indeed look like a "cube popping out" at a frontal stern view, I may try to extend the galleries and connect them with the sternwindows.

Originally I just copied the galleries from my Brig-of war;

dsc06851.jpg

Perhaps the bright colors make it look more obvious.

Anyway, since I already have a ship with these galleries there's enough reason to try something new for this ship pirate_laugh2.gif .

By the way, did you ever finished the Endeavour ?

no, I took her apart so I could start on the caravel redonda. I actually decided to fully concentrate medieval ships as there aren't too many good mocs from that particular era.

I might suggest eliminating the side galleries all together. I think smooth sides right back to the transom would look rather sleek an suit her rig well. Keep the transom windows and the whole cabin, and maybe add to or space out her guns more. In absence of the side galleries perhaps a skylight might brighten the cabin. All IMHO of course. In any case she looking good. 

I might suggest eliminating the side galleries all together. I think smooth sides right back to the transom would look rather sleek an suit her rig well. Keep the transom windows and the whole cabin, and maybe add to or space out her guns more. In absence of the side galleries perhaps a skylight might brighten the cabin. All IMHO of course. In any case she looking good.

Thanks, I like the side galleries, they make the side of the ship a bit more interesting I think, at the same time they also help to close a gap between the more narrow stern after and the wider section before the galleries.

I tried this earlier on my Merchant Brig;

dsc07911.jpg

You can see it remains a bit too wide at the stern, reducing its sleekness.

I could solve it though if I would reach back for CGH's technique...

nicely done Seb..

Then again : U now have standards to uphold..& yup..you did it again.

Every ship you make is a good stride forward..again with this one.

besides the slopes on the rid studs..there is something i do miss;. You have the opportunity to add a lifeboat/rowboat at the back.. must be missing..must've forgotten to hang it there;. can' t be anything else :);;

and i like the look of those galeries, and i do think that the red does kick it out further.. and yellow is just ..yellow without the awesomeness of added green ;-).

do keep on making these ships :)..

nicely done Seb..

Then again : U now have standards to uphold..& yup..you did it again.

Every ship you make is a good stride forward..again with this one.

besides the slopes on the rid studs..there is something i do miss;. You have the opportunity to add a lifeboat/rowboat at the back.. must be missing..must've forgotten to hang it there;. can' t be anything else :);;

and i like the look of those galeries, and i do think that the red does kick it out further.. and yellow is just ..yellow without the awesomeness of added green ;-).

do keep on making these ships :)..

Thanks, I didn't add the lifeboat, which was indeed supposed to be at the stern, It blocked the view of the stern a bit pir_laugh2.gif

I will still add it though.

Are you sure about that green? I find it very risky to use green on a ship, the risk of a color bomb that is, especially with the blue gun ports and stern arch already present.

Wow. The half covered weather deck with the cabin is amazing. This is the second time I'm thinking about "copying" one MOC of yours! A pity I haven't any idea how, right now :(

That's brilliant - love the tumblehome, and may 'borrow' that technique some day;-). The working capstan looks amazing! Was thinking of installing one into my brig, but mine was to consist of a long technic rod secured vertically and rotated to coil the anchor's rope around! I have some way to go, I think!

Wow. The half covered weather deck with the cabin is amazing. This is the second time I'm thinking about "copying" one MOC of yours! A pity I haven't any idea how, right now :(

Thanks, I'm thinking about making a post about the technique itself, a bit similar to CGH's tutorial post pirate_classic.gif .

That's brilliant - love the tumblehome, and may 'borrow' that technique some day;-). The working capstan looks amazing! Was thinking of installing one into my brig, but mine was to consist of a long technic rod secured vertically and rotated to coil the anchor's rope around! I have some way to go, I think!

Well, that is historically more accurate actually,

But actually this type of capstan was more common on bigger ships, my ship really is too small for its capstan.

Foremast Jack made a great tutorial about historical capstans some time ago: link.

Hi,

I've always cherished your enthusiasm for smaller warships and am a huge fan of your building techniques and inventive talent, especially when it comes to giving those underrepresented types of ships a voice here on the forum.

Although my favorite creation of yours is Farore's Wind (especially for her eye-candy-like blue and yellow color-scheme), this one's truly is a magnificent beauty, as well!

Keep it up!

Very nice little ship! I know it's a bit small to carry guns, did you consider adding smaller custom built cannons? Like, swivels? It would be a shame to see such a pretty ship go down to pirates! pir_laugh2.gif

Hi Sebeus,

I would be much interested in your tutorial! (Once you have decided to create and post it)

How many ships have you built so far?

How many of them do still exist?

Hi Sebeus,

I would be much interested in your tutorial! (Once you have decided to create and post it)

How many ships have you built so far?

How many of them do still exist?

I have around 36 ships on my record (excluding the smaller boats and rafts), I have pictures of almost all of them except for my very first ships.

I keep a record of them at mocpages.

At the moment however I have 7 ships still intact, some of them I intend to never take apart.

I'll get working on the tutorial again after the Pirate Team Contest pir_laugh2.gif .

Hi Sebeus,

the sails look really nice. What do you make them of and how?

Thx

Loves Houses (& your ships ;-) )

Thank you,

My sails are made of recycled paper (it already has that tan/brownish color),

I have a notebook of it, I draw my sails on them and cut them out

However I must say they are fragile, easey ripped in pieces.

Still, it's easy and it doesn't take too much time.

Edited by Sebeus I

Hi,

I have tried cotton sails - and it was a complete failure pir_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif

I wanted to dye them but they resisted. And then they started to come apart at the edges (despite the use of glue). So, I am still experimenting...