Anio

UCS Invisible Hand

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Professional instruction available for sale (see next post) :

Hello,

Sometimes ago, I reproduced the Invisible Hand of Curtis Black.

6021842428_3723bf0af3_b.jpgUCS Invisible Hand by Anio, sur Flickr

6021842808_ce55cf338e_b.jpgUCS Invisible Hand by Anio, sur Flickr

6021290167_01ec153c3f_b.jpgUCS Invisible Hand by Anio, sur Flickr

6021290407_7fbea80ee1_b.jpgUCS Invisible Hand by Anio, sur Flickr

You can see it on FlickR :

Brickshelf : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=463293

Frousmoul and I would like to offer a professional instruction for that model based on CurtisB's work. Stay tuned !

Hello fellows,

I finally succeded to be in touch with Curtis, so that we could discuss about the instructions. Frousmoul worked with all those 3D softs I do not know anything about ( :D ), and here it is : the instruction for the UCS Invisible Hand.

01.jpg

You can see more pages and the bill of materials here : http://www.techlug.f...rtis-black-2011

The instruction is a 240MO and 180 HD page pdf.

The price of the instruction is 10€ as always, with the possibility of giving more if you can afford or want to support our work in the Lego community.

To buy the instruction, you can be in touch with me by the way you want : PM me here, on youtube, on FlickR, etc.

You can also directly email me at setechnic@gmail.com

Happy building ! :D

After building Anio's Venator, I decided to tackle the ship that is the Venator fought against during Ep 3, the Invisible Hand!

It is a bit easier to BL it as it has less than 1/3 the bricks, compared to the Venator, but it does have some interesting build techniques. So unfortunately, it is not of equal scale to the Venator but it is a lovely ship in its own right. So here it is!

16160970713_0170a5fcfe_c.jpg

16779807112_4517034145_c.jpg

Micro MTT - a nice touch!

16594754439_6c34a6baa8_c.jpg

As usual, this ship does come with certain bricks that are either expensive and/or are really difficult for me to find... like minifig hands etc... However, without those, it still doesn't distract from the beauty of the ship!

On to the next!! :)

Looks great! It's nice and smooth and is loaded with detail. How much smaller is it next to the Venator?

The IH is about 70 cm in length as compared to 112cm of the Venator so it is quite a difference. :)

The IH is about 70 cm in length as compared to 112cm of the Venator so it is quite a difference. :)

Oh wow. It's still a great looking model, and I'm sure it looks just as impressive as the Venator.

I am currently in the stage of gathering parts for my Venator (4132 pieces currently) and want to also make this ship, but I really wish it was to scale with a venator. To me, and I'm sure other Eurobrickers, if the MOC was 5000+ pieces, I would still do it if it was scaled to the Venator. At the same time, Anio himself did not make the model so he did not have much control over how big the MOC would be, however, he could possibly redo this MOC to a larger scale, but I'm sure that he is busy with all of his other genius MOCs (such as the sith infiltrator I saw this morning, great job!).

At the same time, Anio himself did not make the model so he did not have much control over how big the MOC would be, however, he could possibly redo this MOC to a larger scale

I used Curtis work indeed. That said, if I did so, there is some good reason : I think the model looks good at this scale size.

It is hard to explain, but to make it short and understandable :

For example, if the B-Wing UCS 10227 is 66cm long is for one good reason : you can't design correctly a UCS B-Wing of 50 cm long or 85 cm long.

The ship, its shapes, the accuracy you need, the flow, the building standards, etc lead you to conclud that one size is better (more convenient, if you will) than others.

Same goes for other UCS sets and many other sets. Recently, F40 10248 is 27 cm long. With that length, the car is maybe not at the same scale of set X or Y. But the thing is that designing, for example, a 22 cm long F40, just wouldn't work. Or at least, it wouldn't work as well as a 27 cm long version.

Each model (ship, car, helicopter, whatever) is a different project with different goals, limits, compromises, different spirits to catch, etc. You can very hardly set a scale and say "I will do all my models with that scale". A design process is deeper than that.

So sorry, a IH to scale with Venator is not on my todo list.

I think it's just another way you can approach building. Picking the scale best to fit your needs is one way, smart way since it makes designing easier (however it requires a lot of experience to do the 'math' and make the correct choice - im not by far saying it's trivial or that it lowers the credit designer should get). Meanwhile, accepting the challenge to create your model in some particular size or 'in scale' to something else is different thing and it can be even more satisfactory if you succeed in it. I personally admire good creation regardless it's scale but I have some extra appreciation for these 'in scale' models (if greatly executed) because of the fact the designer was limited from the very beginning and all the way through. I'm myself trying to build a series of SW ships in particular scale and it's sometimes frustrating like hell, yet the feeling of figuring it out eventually is really special :)

EDIT: By the way I'm sorry to hear that you don't consider building bigger invisible hand - there aren't many of those and I only know one, that is really wonderful, made by Mark Kelso. It appears to be really challenging build and many fail on it. I bet that if you got involved, we could have another masterpiece to comparison :)

Edited by krisandkris12

EDIT: By the way I'm sorry to hear that you don't consider building bigger invisible hand - there aren't many of those and I only know one, that is really wonderful, made by Mark Kelso. It appears to be really challenging build and many fail on it. I bet that if you got involved, we could have another masterpiece to comparison :)

Are you saying it is possible to try and build Kelso's version? If so how do people get plans for it or something of that nature

I certainely could. I just don't want to, as I do not consider it very relevant.

I mean, having some compromise regarding details, shapes etc on a "small" size ship is understandable. But doing a 2 meter long ship which proportions are still totally off, what's the point ?

http://mocpages.com/...5708/1200336097

There are 2 IH that I think are interesting (they more or less have the same size) :

- http://www.techlug.f...96.html#p134696

- http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=406310

The thing with that size is that when it comes to designing the middle of the ship, I am pretty sure I will be screwed. Achieving a good design at this scale seems impossible here :

http://img15.hosting...948DSCN3411.jpg

Even Kelso couldn't figure out how to build that section nicely, yet at a much bigger scale.

Curtis Black model work much better here : http://www.techlug.f...ele/ST07/12.JPG

Curtis' and Kelso's models couldn't be more different. Curtis, with help of the scale he has chosen (by the way approx. the same scale as Primus' Venator, namely ISD scale, which I think is really cool) found a briliant way to build it without bothering with sticking plate hull onto some internal frame. With mostly classic studs up design he achieved fabulous look. You say that Kelso's model is totally off in proportions, well it's truth that he flattened some of the curvatures of the hull, at some points it seems he didn't even try to stay accurate to the original (like it's significantly shorter than it should be - Mark mentioned that he is well aware of this in some of hiw WIP entries). Some would say that rather than making a replica, he only hot inspired by the look. Still for me his result is outstanding, and as a complete thing, it looks fascinating.

These other models you mention (I'm sure I saw that one on brickshelf) may be proportionaly more accurate but still, I'd rate them lower. The visual impression is good but without this wow effect, Anyway, I'm still waiting for some masterbuilder to surpass all of those, finally bringing the design that will trully capture the ship. I wish I could be the one :D But my experience is still low for starting such project.

Just finished bricklinking this for USD $320 (full shipping - more than I expected, but I had to go to Europe for 3 orders). Looking forward to building this when they arrive in couple weeks. I'm worried it isn't going to look right next to Anio's Venator design I just about finished...but it is a nice looking build.

Just finished bricklinking this for USD $320 (full shipping - more than I expected, but I had to go to Europe for 3 orders). Looking forward to building this when they arrive in couple weeks. I'm worried it isn't going to look right next to Anio's Venator design I just about finished...but it is a nice looking build.

Happy building the Invisible Hand!

It is not in scale of the Venator as you can see my builds here:

19594645536_6bbd8a5484_c.jpg

But it is an impressive build nevertheless!

16160970713_0170a5fcfe_c.jpg

16594754439_6c34a6baa8_c.jpg

16779807112_4517034145_c.jpg

Cheerio!

Some people pointed out that the dark blue inverted slopes are hard to get.

3747b.jpg

Note that this part appears in a very recent model : Elve ship 41073.

So you can probably order it through Lego customer service for little money.

Some people pointed out that the dark blue inverted slopes are hard to get.

3747b.jpg

Note that this part appears in a very recent model : Elve ship 41073.

So you can probably order it through Lego customer service for little money.

It's not on "pick-a-brick" on lego site...I looked. Only the 2x2 45' inverted slope is. :(

Jeff

Call the customer service. ;)

And tell them the ref of the part written in the instruction 41073.

It's not on "pick-a-brick" on lego site...I looked. Only the 2x2 45' inverted slope is. :(

Jeff

At least it is going for US$1.00++ on certain BL stores now, cheaper than when I was ordering them a couple of months ago. :wink:

Edited by Azrielsc

Well, I finished this this morning. I must say, this is a SOLID built model. Nothing fragile about it. Lots of slope/block core. I still don't like the very top yellow/black/blue final stripes, and may go back and move them, but this is a beautiful MOC. *Much* easier build than the Venator (even for the scale). If it weren't for the fact that I already had the Venator built, and seeing how enormous it is, this would be a pretty impressive Lego capital ship build...grin. Kudos to Curtis and Anio on a wonderful design/build and the instructions are very good.

-Jeff

Edited by jeffmcclain

What a great model have you done!

I like the detailing on the ship.

Although it not as big like the rejected UCS Invisible Hand at Lego Ideas,but your one is quite nice and you capture the ship quite well in small scale like this.

Great Job!

How much for you to build it and send it to me. also just sent you an email about this

On 7/30/2015 at 7:29 AM, jeffmcclain said:

Well, I finished this this morning. I must say, this is a SOLID built model. Nothing fragile about it. Lots of slope/block core. I still don't like the very top yellow/black/blue final stripes, and may go back and move them, but this is a beautiful MOC. *Much* easier build than the Venator (even for the scale). If it weren't for the fact that I already had the Venator built, and seeing how enormous it is, this would be a pretty impressive Lego capital ship build...grin. Kudos to Curtis and Anio on a wonderful design/build and the instructions are very good.

-Jeff

How much was all of the legos?

On 10/5/2017 at 12:18 PM, lorca805 said:

How much for you to build it and send it to me. also just sent you an email about this

How much was all of the legos?

Hello, I have not gotten any email (possibly diverted to SPAM).  I just now see this message here.  I think it cost me around $350 for all the parts from bricklink from scratch, counting plans cost.  You can use rebrickable to find parts: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-1195/Aniomylone/ucs-invisible-hand/

Edited by jeffmcclain

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with the designer to buy the instructions? I love the ship and the build and would like to make it, if anyone can help, please let me know!