That's an interesting model and the 3rd LTM11200 of LEGOs I've seen so far. And goal of this model is to make as functional as possible. Tough job! I can remember what Liftingbricks said about his LTM11200 in progress … No, due to the massive weight of his crane it's nearly possible get it working. Not even a chance … But that's a stunning MOC. Last week I saw a much smaller version but very accurate.

Your model is more or less a hybrid than. The shapes look pretty good (first thing I'm always looking at). I'm very curious if you can manage to get the errors out of it. When I bought the crane set last year I was a little bit disappointed it didn't work properly.

Good luck with the progress and we'll see the updates if you have more time to continue building!

That's an interesting model and the 3rd LTM11200 of LEGOs I've seen so far. And goal of this model is to make as functional as possible. Tough job! I can remember what Liftingbricks said about his LTM11200 in progress … No, due to the massive weight of his crane it's nearly possible get it working. Not even a chance … But that's a stunning MOC. Last week I saw a much smaller version but very accurate.

Your model is more or less a hybrid than. The shapes look pretty good (first thing I'm always looking at). I'm very curious if you can manage to get the errors out of it. When I bought the crane set last year I was a little bit disappointed it didn't work properly.

Good luck with the progress and we'll see the updates if you have more time to continue building!

Thanks for your commentary. Especially the one on the looks coming from you means something! You build some amazingly realistic trucks! As for the missing functions: I do have some tricks in my sleaves yet, so keep your hopes up.

Hi Jeroen,

Wow what a monster - great job!

FYI: Our Firgelli actuators have a 100:1 gearing ratio. It is possible to swap the 100:1 gearbox for a 210:1 gearbox and invert the motor (210:1 gearing makes the motor run backwards). I've done it here on my bench and it works great. But the question is: Will it be too powerful? Double the power and half the speed - something might break.

I am willing to modify our NXT (soon to be EV3) actuators if anyone wants to give it a try. We are unfortunately not allowed to play with Lego at work.

Note: This is not being considered right now as an production option, but it might help out some people on the larger builds.

Edited by Firgelli

Hi Jeroen,

Wow what a monster - great job!

FYI: Our Firgelli actuators have a 100:1 gearing ratio. It is possible to swap the 100:1 gearbox for a 210:1 gearbox and invert the motor (210:1 gearing makes the motor run backwards). I've done it here on my bench and it works great. But the question is: Will it be too powerful? Double the power and half the speed - something might break.

I am willing to modify our NXT (soon to be EV3) actuators if anyone wants to give it a try. We are unfortunately not allowed to play with Lego at work.

Note: This is not being considered right now as an production option, but it might help out some people on the larger builds.

Wow,

I am thrilled to have you post here! As you can see I have recommended using your actuators in many, many places on this forum. My question is this though, while the lift power is great...I have a problem with the clutch slipping going downward. Basically, if there is too much weight on the actuator it will slip down. Usually if I then raise the boom it can actually lift back up (slowly) but still it can re-slip going down. Is there any chance of improving the clutch force?

Also, with the regearing, I find that for lego booms the speed is plenty fast, it slows down significantly under load so if it had double the power it would be slower by default but would slow less under high stress.

Nychase: I don't want to jack the thread, email me at sales@firgelli.com and I'm more than happy to talk to you about our Lego units

Ian

Great job. Impressive.

Did you see this video and the system with suspension to start up?

I just did :classic:

I actually have solved part of the problem by changing the gear ratio even further down (it now takes almost 10 minutes to raise the boom) and strengthening the structure of the cilinder. It can now easily raise the boom if no other sections are in.

I have been experimenting with adding rubber bands to add elastic energy (in a similar way as adding springs would do) to the system. It does help a bit, but I'm not there yet.

I'll keep you posted on the progress when I have a bit more time at my hands again.

Hello!

I apologize for the terrible english , because I did not know very well and writing through an interpreter !

This is the biggest MOC I've ever seen , and it just impressed me , a low bow for such work! And 6000 parts just impressive amount of detail !

C your permission, I will ask you a few questions!

1. What is the gross weight of this model ?

2 . Outriggers raised this model from the floor ? When expose legs at the tap . load and effort outriggers they do not bend ? Do deformation ?

3 . I understand the boom in 4 sections which are put forward by the system is the same as model 42009 , or any parts of the nominated independently ? ? ? What is the total height by luffing Maxima ?

4 . I have long puzzled and still can not understand how you have ensured that the transmission shifts remotely and you have to 4reh engine 12 functions ? What is the box schematic ? In the picture you posted . cover all engines and nothing can not be parsed . Based on that box as in the 8043 model , and I understand that but I realize that I've come up with , you broke my head and understand it well, I can not ! You've got me very puzzled !

5 . How do you solve the problem of lifting a heavy and huge boom ? I saw the idea that you have submitted , but it is just awesome !

6. Just surprised and impressed me with the idea about the different degrees of rotation of the wheel axles ! You on this occasion took the photo ! But in the description I just confused about the description of the two functions , and therefore almost understandable scheme !

Hello!

I apologize for the terrible english , because I did not know very well and writing through an interpreter !

This is the biggest MOC I've ever seen , and it just impressed me , a low bow for such work! And 6000 parts just impressive amount of detail !

C your permission, I will ask you a few questions!

1. What is the gross weight of this model ?

2 . Outriggers raised this model from the floor ? When expose legs at the tap . load and effort outriggers they do not bend ? Do deformation ?

3 . I understand the boom in 4 sections which are put forward by the system is the same as model 42009 , or any parts of the nominated independently ? ? ? What is the total height by luffing Maxima ?

4 . I have long puzzled and still can not understand how you have ensured that the transmission shifts remotely and you have to 4reh engine 12 functions ? What is the box schematic ? In the picture you posted . cover all engines and nothing can not be parsed . Based on that box as in the 8043 model , and I understand that but I realize that I've come up with , you broke my head and understand it well, I can not ! You've got me very puzzled !

5 . How do you solve the problem of lifting a heavy and huge boom ? I saw the idea that you have submitted , but it is just awesome !

6. Just surprised and impressed me with the idea about the different degrees of rotation of the wheel axles ! You on this occasion took the photo ! But in the description I just confused about the description of the two functions , and therefore almost understandable scheme !

Hi Orbit,

Sorry I missed your reply the first time. Here are the answers I have:

1) I haven't measured the weight, sorry. But it is heavy... I usually transport it in three pieces: the undercarriage, the superstructure and the boom. Each section is several kg's...

2) The outriggers are not strong enough to lift the model. When fully extended they do bend. They do however improve the stability during rotation of the superstructure.

3) I still have to finish the boom, but it will get at least 4 sections. The first section is the outer shell, the second section is actuation with a long gear rack. Section 3 and 4 are actuated with strings, just like the 42009 boom. Each section is ~80 cm, so the total height will be around 3 meters.

4) In the pictures posted the actual shifting mechanism wasn't visible. Here is a view from the bottomside of the switching mechanism. The gears are switched in groups of 3. The black knobwheel in the middle is elastically locked by the red bionicle teeth. It can be positioned in 4 different positions. For each position a set of 3 gears is engaged.

12777616364_b31a325292_c.jpg

5) I haven't completely solved that yet. Reinforcing the drivetrain has helped a lot, but not enough. Adding elastic energy through elastic bands was my next trick. That helped, but it put a big strain on the structure so I wasn't too happy about that.

6) For the normal steering I use the same mechanism as the 42009 set: each gear rack is at a different distance from the wheel axle. One long steering axle can be turned to steer the wheels proportionally to their position.

When switching from normal steering to crabsteering the whole steering axle shifts 2 studs to the back. All the 12T gears disengage from the normal steering racks. Other 12T gears on that same axle engage to the second set of gear racks. This second set is located two studs behind the wheel axle for each wheel.

When turning the steering axle now all wheels will turn the same direction.

I hope this answers your questions.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Amazing MOC you have created Jeroen.

I have one question about the steering. What piece do you use to connect the steering racks on to the ball joint arms at the steering portals on axle 6 and 7. I just can't figure out what it could be, and it would be very useful on the moc i am working on right now.

And again, it is a very impressing MOC.

Amazing MOC you have created Jeroen.

I have one question about the steering. What piece do you use to connect the steering racks on to the ball joint arms at the steering portals on axle 6 and 7. I just can't figure out what it could be, and it would be very useful on the moc i am working on right now.

And again, it is a very impressing MOC.

It is the Technic steering arm small:

6571.jpg

And thanks for the compliment :classic:

Really impressive MOC :thumbup: Respect!

And I have another question: If the boom is fully extended (3m), I think it's much bending, what solution you'll find to avoid it? My first idea is using studded Bricks which are stronger than liftarms, but for the design it's not optimal....

Greetings

Alex

I can not respond to all 100% confident because I have not created syuchego miracle! But what I saw in the pictures that posted this wizard, it seemed to me that he uses similar potderzhaniya stops for a boom! Although I could be wrong! Here is a link to where the image is clearly visible about stops that I had in mind!

http://postimg.org/image/2jyx7fktg/

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I've been analyzing the steering system in this model for a long time.

The main thing that has me perplexed is if it's true Ackerman steering geometry or not. Upon first inspection one might say "look at the pivot point at the wheel and the pivot point where the gear rack is connected", but upon further analysis those do not appear to be the correct pivot points. Since the 13L gear rack makes a rectangle (a rhombus when steered), I feel that the two beams leading to the 7L gear rack also make a rectangle / rhombus, not a trapezoid as is required for Ackerman steering geometry.

Am I wrong?

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I've been analyzing the steering system in this model for a long time.

The main thing that has me perplexed is if it's true Ackerman steering geometry or not. Upon first inspection one might say "look at the pivot point at the wheel and the pivot point where the gear rack is connected", but upon further analysis those do not appear to be the correct pivot points. Since the 13L gear rack makes a rectangle (a rhombus when steered), I feel that the two beams leading to the 7L gear rack also make a rectangle / rhombus, not a trapezoid as is required for Ackerman steering geometry.

Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong. The right and left wheels do have the same steering angles. The angles per axle are different though (when not in crabsteering mode), so it is more like an Ackermann-light :).

Hi Jeroen,

Before I start, I'd like to say that your crane looks very impressive indeed! Do you still have it built?

I've been starting to look at building my own very large crane, and considering the Liebherr LTM 1500-8.1, which has many similarities to your crane. I wondered if you had any more pictures, or information that you wouldn't mind sharing with me regarding your solutions to modelling such a beast? I am particularly interested in the 4 part boom, although that might be the bit you don't want to share?

I have not started yet, and will probably build in in software first, so I can get an idea what extra bits I might need.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thx and welcome to Eurobricks. To answer your question: I do not have it assembled anymore. But I do have most of it in digital form. What I don't have is the 4 section boom. I never designed that part. If you want mre information please send me an email at jjottens (at) onsmail.nl (replace the (at) with @).

Jeroen

BTW: It is frowned upon to bump an old thread to ask for instructions, hence my request to continue this conversation outside the Eurobricks forum