Starwars4J

Review: Red Devil

Well gentlemen, as they say...

itsatrap.jpg

X-D I've recently bought a set of Oxford, and decided to do a review of it! It's from the Red Devil series, which I bought not only for the awesome accessories, but some nice figs.

For those of you who don't know, Oxford Bricks are a korean brand that has the highest quality bricks next to Lego. They have a wide variety of sets that will remind any AFOL of the good old days :-) However the sets are exceedingly rare and almost impossible to get outside of South Korea 8-| But now! On to the set X-D

This set is...well...it's something. I just can't read the title. I believe it's part of the "Red Devil" line, which seems to be named after this large, reappearing Red Demon in sets. It's one piece, similar to the dragons of old, but these actually move a bit. The joints are held by metal screws though, so most AFOLs won't like it, and it's definitely the big let down of the set. Anyway...

The box:

dsc_00010001.jpg

This thing is TOUGH. It's still on shelves, but it feels like the Lego boxes from the Early 90's and 80's. It even has a flap that opens up front to let you see the goodies inside:

dsc_00020002.jpg

dsc_00030003.jpg

The box opened up:

dsc_00040004.jpg

The bags:

dsc_00060006.jpg

The dreaded sticker sheet (I never even touched this):

dsc_00080008.jpg

Alright, after I cracked all the bags open, I homed in on the best part (IMO)...the weapons *sweet* :

dsc_00070007.jpg

As you can see, the weapons come on these sleeves. There were four in all in this set, two of these chrome weapons (each one being different), and two identical sleeves in trans-green for the bad guys. Getting the parts off can be really tricky. Sometimes they can just be twisted off, but more common than not, that will break or damage the tip. I used a method almost exclusively of cutting the tabs, then sanding them down.

Here are the five figures in this set (yes...it is a little fig-poor for a set this price and size):

dsc_00130013.jpg

The human "hero" and his two servants. Also two cultists...very cool figs. I'm not a fan of Oxford human faces though...and that cape is flexible plastic :-X

One of the servants:

dsc_00090009.jpg

His very cool helm:

dsc_00100010.jpg

The figure blown up:

dsc_00110011.jpg

Note that the fig has all the same parts as a standard lego minifig, however it looks as if the hips can be separated. That's because if you look close, you can see they're small, and actually fit inside the torso! I found out they could be separated by accident :-$ The joints are sadly pretty loose though :-/

Which is Lego, and which is Oxford?:

dsc_00120012.jpg

Here you can see the torso is actually slightly curved, especially by the shoulders. This makes it a little more realistic:

dsc_00140014.jpg

And of course one of each of the weapons, and shields:

dsc_00150015.jpg

I actually ended up getting two of the large swords (dubbed by Redbean as the "Demon's Bane"), one was free inside the bag! Wasn't twisted off...it was just like...there. Weird, but I'm not complaining!

Here's the overall set:

dsc_00160016.jpg

Let me tell you something, this thing is BIG. Sure, there are a FEW <insert that tiresome argument> pieces here and there, but this thing is more brick-built than anything lego has EVER MADE. The entire thing is brick. No molded baseplate. It was filled with basic bricks and slopes...and they managed to get a nice shape out of it 8-| Oh Lego, have you forgotten? :'-(

Flame piece:

dsc_00170017.jpg

Four of these ghoulish chrome gold faceplates...they'll surely find a nice place in my Castle MOCs X-D

dsc_00180018.jpg

2/4 of these trans-green corner pieces have a flame printed on them:

dsc_00190019.jpg

This statue at the top is one of the most <insert that tiresome argument> pieces in the whole set...but it's still fairly cool.

dsc_00200020.jpg

And functional!:

dsc_00210021.jpg

dsc_00220022.jpg

Here's the Red Demon:

dsc_00230023.jpg

Stretched up a bit:

dsc_00240024.jpg

Watch out!:

dsc_00250025.jpg

Too late...you're dinner now.

dsc_00260026.jpg

Strange statue that it came with...something the cultists use to worship the Red Devil?:

dsc_00270027.jpg

Rope mechanism they use to raise and lower the front gate (the large red thing), even though it really doesn't move that much :-/

dsc_00280028.jpg

One third of the back...nice and creepy. And look at all those bricks

dsc_00290029.jpg

The whole thing from behind:

dsc_00310031.jpg

And one of the best parts? The figs and accessories are almost completely interchangeable!

Meet Vos the martial artist (Hey Vos!):

dsc_00320032.jpg

Both the sword (*wub*) and the shield fit perfectly into his hands. I can't begin to reassure you how firmly they stay

dsc_00330033.jpg

Even the head pieces fit! This cloak, and that chrome silver helm will be nice *wub* They sit a little high on the head, but fine. The center peg in the head pieces can be cut or sanded down a bit to make them fit a bit lower on a lego fig, but I think they're fine as-is

dsc_00340034.jpg

You want to see integration?

dsc_00350035.jpg

I'll SHOW you integration!

dsc_00360036.jpg

They can also wear Lego headpieces 8-

This certainly looks like a fantastic set and seems like very high quality plastic!

I wish Lego had more things like this...not the set itself..but high quality bricks like they used to and brick built buildings. No more junior pieces!!!

My only nak is that it's a clone brand. Sure it may be lovely, but it appears alot of it is pretty much coppied from Lego bricks. Of course the insides of these bricks may be different, but they are sure are the same.

With this review, it seems like a very nice set. If I could, I would get a brick or two to compare.

Overal for this set would have to be a 34/40. Mostly points taken off for the clone point, but still a high point for what a lovely set this is.

Hi Justin!

I must say I'm impressed with your review (and not just because of the nice things you said about me :-$ ).

I love LEGO first and foremost (and probably always will), but back when I lived in Asia I really liked Oxford too. They may be a "clone" brand, but they are extremely original in their designs and even their themes. (Pro-wrestling or American Idol anyone?). Their uber-compatibility with LEGO is also a huge plus over all the other clones.

It's difficult (as you mentioned) to get ahold of anything Oxford if you aren't in South Korea, Hong Kong, or Tokyo. (Actually Tokyo was pretty hard too--the Koreans and the Japanese have some very long-standing historical issues--Oxford even has a Korea vs. Japan medieval theme!) I love their sets, but the shipping alone more than doubles their otherwise very decent prices, and no one online sells directly to the US anymore. |-/

For anyone interested, I can occasionally be persuaded to locate sets and/or pieces, but they are never cheap. However, for the serious customizer, Oxford offers truly unique pieces.

I'll be sending RedBean some pics to update his accessories page soon--I just got a bunch of Ninja sets with the shipment I got you your Red Devil set in.

Off to build,

Jared "Gosuke" Stewart

PS: Oh--and you don't have to sand or cut off the head stud on Lego minifig's--just hollow out the hollow of the stud by severing that "Y" shaped bit of plastic and the Oxford helms will fit perfectly!

Wow. Very interesting, and a very fine review too, thanks. *y*

Well, the bricks are a copy, of course, but.... the way they

Burn the heretic!

Though actually, as much as it pains me to say it... these don't look that bad. Actually kind of cool. :-$ :-P

A nice review, 4j. Those weapons do indeed look pretty cool. And with the hands. The bottom one is the real deal. ;-)

A nice review, 4j. Those weapons do indeed look pretty cool. And with the hands. The bottom one is the real deal. ;-)

You are correct :-D I actually would've liked to do more of a review, but this is a rather bland set. It's fun, but there's not much to review! For me it focused on the figs and weapons anyway X-D

P.S. Did you see the scans?

Great review mate, im glad you finally got your set :-)

Those weapons are sweet though im not a fan of having to take them off that plastic holder, from the pics and what you wrote it sure does look like thats one huge set.

Oh and that cloak and hood could be used to make a great custom Emperor ;-)

Ah those darn "copies" do aggravate me so much >:-(

However tks for sharing this great review SW4J ;-) Its really well done hehe !!

Its fun to notice that even ripp-off companies do copy the crap aspects such as the DSS :-D (dreaded sticker sheet !!) Hehe nice to see my acronym come through :-D

This reminds me that my uncle usually goes to Vietnam (he married a Vietnamese girl hehe, and does some medical help for the country) and he just came back a month agao and gave me a pic of ripped off Lego sets hehe. Sorry, I can't remember the brand name and I don't have a scanner, but I'll try to find a way to post that pic ;-)

*yoda*

it's not real lego :'-( .why why why!!!!! *sing*

put him in the fire :-P

don't worry, as long as it's not megablocks, your not dead (yet >:-) )

:-P

I''m usually not a big fan of clone brands,but the Oxford dudes did a good job with this.That Red Devil is pretty awesome...

The Red Devil series was sweet, but it came out several years ago and has since been discontinued. The newer sets boast even higher quality--and not everything is stickerized either. Most Lego clones (especially in China/SE Asia) copy the exact molds TLG uses--which never ceases to irritate me. One thing I really like about Oxford is that they use all their own designs. (OK, so the basic bricks look the same--how original are you expected to be with a rectanglular building block?) :-)

Here's their website. I wish they sold direct and shipped internationally...

http://www.oxfordtoy.co.kr/

Those weapons are sweet though im not a fan of having to take them off that plastic holder, from the pics and what you wrote it sure does look like thats one huge set.

Oh and that cloak and hood could be used to make a great custom Emperor ;-)

Well, whenever I eventually get around to it, I plan on casting the weapons and hood in resin. I'll be happy to cast a few for you ;-)

I''m usually not a big fan of clone brands,but the Oxford dudes did a good job with this.That Red Devil is pretty awesome...

Er, you mean the large red thing, the statue, or the whole set? :-P

The Red Devil series was sweet, but it came out several years ago and has since been discontinued. The newer sets boast even higher quality

Even higher quality than this plastic? That's amazing...next time you order you'll definitely have to let me know :-P

I really can't understand why people complain so much about clone brands? Nobody complains when they buy a cd hat is not made by phillips, or a telephone that is not made by Bell.... Even with toys: train brands like Fleischmann, rocco , minitrix ,etc can all be used together. As long as the bricks are not a step down from lego's own I see no problem.

Wow, I want some of those figs and acessories...now! I never knew of this line, it looks like it has an excellent quality. I'm looking at the scans, the other themes don't interest me but this Red Devil line looks really great.

Shakar

I think the pronounced negativity to clones comes from a fear of TLG going under financially. A few years ago this was a real possibility, though not now, thank goodness. Enough of the Lego patents have expired that any number of companies could produce new sets and components if TLG expired with no licensing expense. But because this has not happened, none of the clone companies have ever produced many of the basic parts we need for building projects. It is very hard to imagine this hobby once TLG departs the scene.

OK, as I posted earlier in this thread, I managed to have a pic of the Vietnamese Ripp-off company products !! They actually look OK !! Next time my uncle goes, I will ask him for some sets hehe !!

img_3294.jpg

*yoda*

If the clone brand here works aswell as you say it does, I am actually curious about having some :-$ You can barely if atall tell the difference of bricks in pictures 8-

Edited by Brickmaster