Adam Badura

Alignment of Technic pieces in MLCad

Until few days ago I was using Lego Digital Designer to build some models from time to time or to play around with some ideas. But since I hit an obstacle of missing parts more often than I would like to I decided to try something else.

By the way I don’t quite understand where is the problem in adding all Lego pieces to LDD. I guess it is lack of “human resources” to do that job. But if so then why not open data format and allow fans to add the parts they miss, post them for a review or something so that on the Lego side of the task it would be much less work. Or maybe there is some programming needed around new pieces and thus the work cannot be released to public without actually releasing entire project. Anyway I’m dragging here myself from the topic so lets get back to the issue.

I started with MLCad as from a quick “look around” it seemed a good starting point and quite popular. I gave a short try to LeoCAD but didn’t see any significant difference here. Then also SR 3D Builder which seemed to have advantage of auto-alignment of pieces like axles. But since it is under development (the one that installs with LDraw All-In-One-Installer doesn’t even work due to some integration issues – what is the point to include it that way?) and non-free I stopped exploring it (for now).

But trying to do a model from instructions I had on paper I really struggled with MLCad. It is FAR more difficult to work with it than with LDD (at least for me – lets state here that I don’t have any CAD experience).

And the most difficult part is to align pieces. As it comes to standard bricks the “Coarse Grid” seems to be good enough (but still alignment has to be done manually). But since I chose a Technic model obviously soon I came across pins, axles, bushes and holes. Aligning that still seems to me more of an art than science. (That is why I decided to give a short try to LeoCAD and SR 3D Builder.)

I think that somehow I made it. Or at least it looks good enough on the 3D view. But I’m not entirely sure.

• Is there a way to verify model? If it is physically proper? That I haven’t move a pin one step to far for example?
  • Can it be done automatically?
  • Are there any tools to verify if model honors various building rules (like not stressing pieces too much)?

And since I’m already writing then some side questions:

• Is it possible to move the camera rather than the model in the 3D view? That way it might be easier to see some details within the model?
  • Is it possible (maybe in some external application) to animate MLCad model?
  • Are there any open source editors for LDraw?

I think that somehow I made it. Or at least it looks good enough on the 3D view. But I’m not entirely sure.

• Is there a way to verify model? If it is physically proper? That I haven’t move a pin one step to far for example?
  • Can it be done automatically?
  • Are there any tools to verify if model honors various building rules (like not stressing pieces too much)?

SR 3D Builder may be able to do some of this for you. MLCAD definitely cannot.

And since I’m already writing then some side questions:

• Is it possible to move the camera rather than the model in the 3D view? That way it might be easier to see some details within the model?
  • Is it possible (maybe in some external application) to animate MLCad model?
  • Are there any open source editors for LDraw?

You can move the camera using the middle mouse button. You cannot move inside a model however. To view details up close I usually have LDView running open in another window.

You can animate models using SR 3D Builder or LD4DModeler.

There are LDraw helper programs that are open source. But, the only two modeling programs that are open source are Bricksmith and LeoCAD as far as I know.

If you want better advice go to LDraw.org forums.

Edited by Dilvish