BEAVeR

[MOC] Jedi Starfighter - 75003 alternate model

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

11499048874_2c19efdb9e_c.jpg

[MOC] Jedi Starfighter by Bert.VR, on Flickr

Hey, I think I've seen those pieces before...

And you're right. This Jedi Starfighter is another alternate build of Lego's 75003 A-wing, just like my Slave I. Once again, all the pieces come from that one set. At least, this time the colors actually make sense...

I think this alternate building is growing on me. I can only enter one MOC in the Rebrickable alternate build contest, but I can still have fun and promote it :sweet: !

So I was thinking about another build. A republic gunship turned out too complex and ended in one terrrrrible looking and undoubtely filmsy build :sceptic: . I did, however, took some techniques with me for this starfighter. I own both the Slave I and Obi-Wan's starfighter, and while building my previous entry, I noticed that a lot of pieces where in common with that starfighter. Seeing another Starfighter MOC here inspired me to take the final step. And this is what came out.

11499047624_5b09026be3_z.jpg

[MOC] Jedi Starfighter by Bert.VR, on Flickr

The starfighter features an opening cockipt (with place for a minifig like Obi-Wan, and with place for a coffee mug of course) and landing gear. It includes motors and realistically angled wings. Making the sharp nose was the greatest challenge, but some SNOT saved me in the end. The color scheme ended up looking a tiny bit like Obi-Wan's starfighter, so that's a good thing.

11499103636_6b263e1f4d_z.jpg

Slave I and Jedi Starfighter by Bert.VR, on Flickr

So what do you have to remember from this adventure? Buy two A-wings, and you get an opportunity to recreate that chase sequence from Episode Two once again.

To do so, check out the Rebrickable page (I will post a link once it gets approved) for a digital model and a partlist. You'll find pdf instructions here.

Just like the old days. A set is never one set!

Glad you like it guys! You make me :blush: every time before my laptop...

Another fantastic alternate build BEAVeR! :laugh: Now I have to get another one of these.

I'm sorry for you wallet. now you heve to get another one of these...

Amazing result, considering that your build only uses the parts of the latest A-Wing model. So, what's next?

I'm open for suggestions. What set should I do next? I'll try to make some alternates of medium-sized, recent sets. That's a good alternative for all those MOCs I make that are absolutely impossible to build...

Nicely done considering the limited parts :thumbup:

Maybe I should have enter this contest too :classic:

Finally, I convinced someone to join the contest, rather than deterring everyone... mission succeeded, especially since it's such a tallented builder like yourself. :classic:

Now I have a bit of a problem. I mentioned I could only enter one single model in the contest. I need your opinion: should I go with the JSF or with the Slave I? As for myself, I like the originality of the Slave I, AND I like the look of this JSF. So I'm :wacko: . Can you help me out? Thanks in advance!

I'd enter the Slave 1, if I were you, because it looks so much more different to the A-Wing than does the JSF, and thus highlights the idea of an alternative build only using the parts of said set better than does the JSF.

The starfighter looks better, imo. However, the Slave-1 has a much more unique look. Decide what will give you a better chance to win.

And as for getting more of this set, they are on sale at the grocer across the street from me for $13 each. :wink:

Thanks for your input everyone!

I've decided to enter the Slave I because of the distinct look and more creative part usage. I've the feeling it's more a build that highlights that a lot of unexpected things hide within a box. The JSF was a bit more obvious, but not bad.

And if you're not agreed with this decision, and think this won't be a winner, then vote for me... JUST KIDDING :wink: .

And hey, if I don't enter this, that doesn't mean you can't build it (here)! I've enjoyed your comments very much. I hope you can enjoy this model too :classic:

Yeah, I'm glad you entered the Slave, it's a lot more original. As for other alternate builds of 75003, how about a snowspeeder? Or a B-Wing? They both seem (to me) fairly feasible. I might have a go at the B-Wing.

Edited by Lord Tyrus