This must be a very rare set, does anyone have any knowledge on it? Opinions? It has some rear looking parts including an radio control function (are they compatible with other Lego rc gear?) information would be nice, as I am looking at getting one that has become available.

Not a lot or any information about it...

I bought this as a child as i couldn't afford the mindstorms kit.

You can control the unit via your computer, but you need a small parallelport for this.

The software which also includes the building instructions is a real pain in the a**. It is extremley slow and you have to go through tons of animations before you can do anything. Also it only runs under Windows 98.

The two main modells included are fun. One is a tracked vehicle with three different functions you can attach to the front: A blade, a forklift and a grabber.

The second model is like the cyber slam stuff. You have one "monster" with 3 targets which is contorlled by the computer or another player and one smaller "monster" which you use to aim for the targets and to strike them.

Also there are instructions for some "base-modells" and to possiblity to program them, but the memory of the unit is really small.

You can combine the kit with 8480 "The Mission" to build a transporter for explosive stuff. Then you have to navigate through a pacour without too much commotion. If you fail, the vehicle "explodes". This model is the most fun in my opinion.

Overall the Cybermaster is okay i think, but not worth huge expenses or long searches.

Thanks guys for the replies, didn't get the set got outbid at $200, I still wanted it for all the rare parts if nothing else.

Well if I ever get to buy one at a decent price, I'll certainly go for it. You get five 9V wires, a 9V motor, and a special type of frame that only appears in this set:

32090.jpg

Might be useful, for say, the chassis of an RC truck.... :poke:

Edited by TwentyLeggedHen

Well if I ever get to buy one at a decent price, I'll certainly go for it. You get five 9V wires, a 9V motor, and a special type of frame that only appears in this set:

32090.jpg

Might be useful, for say, the chassis of an RC truck.... :poke:

You get 4 of those frames! There's a whole lot more among too, the turquoise liftarms, light sensors and a Technic man, which I don't have yet.

Looks really impressive - it seems to be more Mindstorms theme rather then Technic. The number on the picture is 4 digit, rather then new 5 digit standard.

I bought it back in the days when it was available in stores. It was right in the middle of my 15year lasting dark ages and lego was pretty much out of focus then, but I got attracted by news of upcoming Mindstorms set. After first visit to the sotre I realised that it was too expensive for my budget and I got Cybermaster instead.

Set came in nice "suitcase". Most parts were in strange colours, not compatible with other sets, but later i realized that there were several other sets with same combination at that time. Main disadvantage fro me was that two of three motors were molded together with main unit and battery box in one large (long) block. That limited its use mostly to various kinds of vehicles. That ruined my idea of building robotic arms and similar stuff and I was very sory for not saving a liitle more and getting mindstorms sets.

Included models were ok: tracked tank with grabbing claw and two wheeled robot with some kind of attack-defense function. What ruined all was included software:it came only in german language and it used (too)many animations, talk, walking etc... Way too complicated and time consuming. Usage was also strongly tied to included models with games and thematic interactions. There was no mindstorms-like programing language except drawing robot path and setting actions at predefined spots.

All in all, interesting set, but not in any way replacement for Mindstorms (motor and sensors were compatible so it would make nice parts pack).

Came across this set and thinking of getting it. Anyone with a 'positive' review or reasons why I should not bother with it e.g., would the software run on Windows 7 ?

I recently got this set second hand. I could not get the software to work, not even on a Windows 98 virtual machine. There are no printed building instructions, since these were only provided with the set in the software. I worked around it by queueing all the .mov files on the cd in a video player and using the pause button a lot.

It comes with many teal pars, and it has a massive amount of thin lift arms. Some gears, not too many.

In my brick, one of the motors is locked and I can't get it the other two to run at all without the software.

Edited by skaah

I doubt the original software runs on W7. Bt this page says you can use bricxcc on W7 and on Linux.

You will need a serial (COM) port or a USB to serial adapter.

See here for possible positive reasons. I believe the only real good reason is being Radio instead of Infrared.

I doubt the original software runs on W7. Bt this page says you can use bricxcc on W7 and on Linux.

You will need a serial (COM) port or a USB to serial adapter.

See here for possible positive reasons. I believe the only real good reason is being Radio instead of Infrared.

Thank you very much. Very useful links indeed

got this years ago for my birthday,

at that time had a lot of fun with it

eventualy got 2 extra sets for parts because the bricks where broken, managed to get one of them up and running again.

this year i got them down from the attic and used it with bricxcc, but i gueass i need to try it with a joystick.

Hey all,

I bought this kit when I was young and really liked it. Although the digital instructions are a bit strange, you could have a lot of fun with the different models one built. I also own the 8450 Mission set by the way.

Under WinXP I'm perfectly able to run the cybermaster software on my laptop.

However, I bought a USB-serial adapter to connect the base station, but when I run the diagnosis in the game, I pass the hardware test but fail the base station test. He asks if I see the flickering light and I do, but for dome reason it won't work. Does anyone know how to solve this? Should I change the settings of the COM port? I can't remember I had to do that with the fixed serial ports back in the days.

The instructions for installing the software and setting up the antennas, etc. are readily available online. But can anyone direct me to instructions for actually using the software? Also is the software online someplace so I can download it?

I doubt there are any instructions for actually using the software.

Software works similary to Boost app: upon starting it, you enter 3d animated space themed interface. There you can select several activities, like playing games building semi autonomous robots etc... After selecting activity, you enter computer generated and animated step by step instructions, which include testing hardware and various testing of functionality during build. After you complete the build, you enter program for that model, which will either drive the model by itself, or let you control it via joystick.

Software is anctialy not so bad and as we can see, today both mindstorms and boost use similar concepts, only thing which is really annoying is there are a lot of animations, talking etc, whic are meant to make experience a kind of "space adventure", but after few times just make everythging slow.

You can see interface here:

Ā 

Cool stuff! Boost and Mindstorms work onĀ very similar principles today. Even though this set really is an example of why TLG stumbled around the late 90'sĀ (too many unique parts and expensive electronics), you canĀ see the parallels, especially with the programmable commands.

5 hours ago, Cwetqo said:

I doubt there are any instructions for actually using the software.

Software works similary to Boost app: upon starting it, you enter 3d animated space themed interface. There you can select several activities, like playing games building semi autonomous robots etc... After selecting activity, you enter computer generated and animated step by step instructions, which include testing hardware and various testing of functionality during build. After you complete the build, you enter program for that model, which will either drive the model by itself, or let you control it via joystick.

Software is anctialy not so bad and as we can see, today both mindstorms and boost use similar concepts, only thing which is really annoying is there are a lot of animations, talking etc, whic are meant to make experience a kind of "space adventure", but after few times just make everythging slow.

You can see interface here:

Ā 

Thanks! The video is helpful.

I prefer the original 9700 set where you actually code, not just click on icons. :)

Hehe nice to see a cybermaster topic^^

Yeah i made an account on this opportunity because this is my favorite set :)

I bought 5 complete (used) sets of these and some additional main units. half of them have a broken motors, almost all of them have range issues (max. 1m... ,yes i have the software working on an old win95 PC).

Only 1 works somehow (about 2m range...), but i intend to make internal changes withĀ a new circuit board andĀ new motors (let's see if i have time for that next year...).

Ā 

Cyber Master

On 9/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, Cyber Master said:

Hehe nice to see a cybermaster topic^^

Yeah i made an account on this opportunity because this is my favorite set :)

I bought 5 complete (used) sets of these and some additional main units. half of them have a broken motors, almost all of them have range issues (max. 1m... ,yes i have the software working on an old win95 PC).

Only 1 works somehow (about 2m range...), but i intend to make internal changes withĀ a new circuit board andĀ new motors (let's see if i have time for that next year...).

Ā 

Cyber Master

Nice to meet a fan! I am one of the original designers of this set (together with Uwe Wabra), so it is great to hear for me that this set still has an appeal even 18 years later.

I really wanted this set as a kid, I actually asked it for my birthday from my parents, but they went ahead and "surprised" me with playmobil instead because "I had enough" LEGO... (IDIOTS!!!).

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I am one of the original designers of this set (together with Uwe Wabra)

That's really interesting to know! Could you perhaps tell us a bit about the design choice of the track's and their unusual frames and why they were never used again?
I always wondered why TLG went out of their way to produce a special frame part in a very specific shape instead of just making a framework with LEGO pieces.