I am in the finishing stages of aking a snowmobile MOC, and thought I'd show the current state of things before I go on holiday, and won't be able to build. I will however bring the model with me, to hopefully shoot a video of it performing on snow :classic:

1024x683.jpg

It is powered by two RC Buggy motors, through the standard RC Receiver Unit (Gives some range, compared to IR PF RC). It features double wishbone suspension on the skis, and they are steered through the RC Steering Unit. The entire belt/track has a BIG spring for suspension.

1024x683.jpg

1024x683.jpg

The belt is driven by the two RC motors directly onto a large sprocket wheel. In it's current configuration it is set on the innermost (fastest) output of the motors, but it is built so that it can be changed fairly easily. I haven't tried this configuration yet, but the "slow" output propelled it nicely along the carpet, and given that the coefficient of friction between smoth plastic and snow is close to zero, I'm not worried.

800x1200.jpg

The skis are three studs wide, and made with an upside-down technic brick with tiles on top (bottom), to provide better steering. The skis are also sprung to keep them from digging into the snow, as well as give some flex when driving over obstacles.

1024x683.jpg

The steering features ackerman geometry, but that is more du to the available pieces used for suspension/steering, than an actual necessity :tongue:

The steering hadlebars are moved from the front output/input of the RC steering unit, through a lot of U-joints :blush: Hey, it works :sweet:

1024x683.jpg

I fitted two 5x11 panels directly under the Receiver Unit, to prevent snow from entering the battery compartment.. (I might have to do something about the motors themselves as well...)

1024x683.jpg

There are some more pictures, as well as some VERY high resolution (finally got myself to buying a (cheap) lens for my EOS 50D) versions of the ones I've shown here at my Bricksafe for those interested. :wink:

Now, I just hope there is some snow in my parents' garden when I get home for Christmas holiday! :grin:

That looks great! I love the track and the colour scheme and I hope those RC motors make a return. Look forward to your video. I'm waiting for th chance to get out on a bright clear day to make a vid of my own.

H

Looking good! Smart use of the RC unit as the seat for the snowmobile. :classic::thumbup:

However, I don't like how you used 4 universal joints on the steering shaft. I think that could have been accomplished in a much more compact and robust way. I'm not saying that your design is bad, I'm just worried about the strength of the universal joints.

Edited by Technyk32231

Wow, that is an awesome model! :wub: I really like the integrated RC unit.

Technyk32231, I think the steering for the actual tracks is transmitted directly from the RC unit; after the steering, the u-joints transfer the rotation to the handlebars. So they won't have to handle a lot of torque.

Technyk32231, I think the steering for the actual tracks is transmitted directly from the RC unit; after the steering, the u-joints transfer the rotation to the handlebars. So they won't have to handle a lot of torque.

Oh, that makes more sense now. Still, that could have been accomplished in a more compact way.

Looking good! Smart use of the RC unit as the seat for the snowmobile. :classic::thumbup:

However, I don't like how you used 4 universal joints on the steering shaft. I think that could have been accomplished in a much more compact and robust way. I'm not saying that your design is bad, I'm just worried about the strength of the universal joints.

Thanks a lot!

The seat is actually supposed to be the construction behid the RC Unit, the Unit itself is supposed to be something of a gas tank or motor housing.. I really am not very sure how snowmobiles are made up :blush: But due to the size (width) of the RC unit, this was the only logical place to put it.

As for the steering, I'm pretty sure I have at least 5 universal joints! :laugh::tongue:

But it's like TwentyLeggedHen says:

Thanks to you to, and you are spot on! The RC Steering Assembly has two inputs, one in the front, and one in the back, which are both connected to the steering rack. So when the rear one is driven from the RC Unit, the front one turns along with it. Due to very limited space width-wise, as well as some weird angles for gears (The entire suspension assy is mounted horisontally, and the steering unit is at an angle along with the rest of the chassis), I found this the most space saving solution. It can definitely not handle a lot of torque, but it doesn't need to, as it's only for turning the handlebars, and it works splendidly :wink:

Hey, really great! I like vehicles in the snow as well! Your's looks quite the right size. I started last year with a similar configuration but a double track and then the snow disappeared!

Your ski-solution to keep them on track looks promising! Can't wait for the video

Looking awesome!

Man that is steering (using u-joints) from hell! I love it! :wub:

Looking forward as well to seeing it in action.

Looks wonderful, the MOC is full of different realistic functions)

Waiting for the video cuz I want to see such wonderful work moving!