Sign in to follow this  
Paperballpark

MOC: 4-6-2 Steam Train

I've just finished this, my MOC of a 4-6-2 steam engine. The shape is loosely based on the Constitution, but how it's put together (especially the lower half) is quite different.

It's not my first train MOC (you can see that in the background), but it's the first substantial one I've done.

The front bogie is attached in a similar fashion to the Constitution, but the extra axle at the rear required a different arrangement for the main wheels. It goes around curves pretty well, although it's a bit tight through switches.

The Tender is an almost exact copy of the one I built for my Constitution. It fits all the PF gubbins in it, and I like the design, so saw no reason to change it. :)

I'm thinking of getting the 2x4 plates on the side of the cab etched with 'GNLR' at some point too (for Great Northern Lego Railway). Or I might get that etched onto the 1x6 plates on the tender instead, and put a number on the cab...

Full size photos are on my Flickr. Any and all feedback is welcome! :)

11454945663_76251a30bb_b.jpg

11454881536_322c7b0ecd_b.jpg

11454941623_147ab4630f_b.jpg

11454948473_3148eeb5d9_b.jpg

11454773895_dcebd25b5d_b.jpg

Edited by Paperballpark

Really nice, simple colours and good use of some pearlescant gold to simulate brass.

If I was to make one tiny suggestion, considering the the tender, the cab of the locomotive and most of the boiler have a SNOT look, maybe SNOT-ify the front plate and the top of the boiler for a cohesive look? It looks very good but my feeling is it would look sleeker with it.

Overall though, it looks the right size and some really nice techniques in there. It's superior to the constitution express.

agree with other comments, this is very nice, I like black and the accent colours used really shine out against the mostly single colour background.

Looking good!

Thanks! I'll be looking at getting some of your custom rods in the new year.

Would you do rods that are 13 long, with 3 holes? (Gap of 5 between each hole)

Thanks! I'll be looking at getting some of your custom rods in the new year.

Would you do rods that are 13 long, with 3 holes? (Gap of 5 between each hole)

Sounds good, just let me know. Meanwhile, I have fabricated up to 17 stud long rods. I'll drop you a PM and we can discuss the details further.