antp

WIP-MOC: My apartment

I really should continue this MOC, I haven't worked on it since last update...

Great detailing. I especially like the way you've done the red and white curtains. :thumbup:

I would like to do my place in minifig scale but I can't work out how. For example, I can't figure out how to do gothic arch doors.

Indeed living in a modern boring building makes it easier to reproduce in Lego :D

Back to the living room. The kitchen area was already shown at the beginning. Since then I added a bar on the wall, to which hangs the paper towel roll and other towels (only the roll is in the Lego version).

I also made a little longer the wall between the sink and the "dinning room" area, which looks like this :

real_P1100547_2.JPG

And in the Lego version :

P1100603_1.JPG

I think I'll raise the table by at least one plate, it seems too low.

The grey thing on the left, with a yellowed 2x2 tile on it, represents a folded stepladder/stool, like that : http://media6.troc.com/produit/213/10/05/21311208211/max_213_11208211_1.jpg (I chose an old tile on purpose, the surface of that stool is kind of greyish and scratched)

How I made the freezer in the back :

P1100596_1.JPG

The floor before furniture :

P1100602_1.JPG

Edited by antp

Long time since the last update, I had some time in the last weeks so I could work on the project which arrives to the end.

As I decided to keep that MOC built, I started to replace some parts.

One of the flaws was the basis (ground), made afterwards and not very rigid (1-plate tick).

Moreover, it was using a large part of the big plates that I have, mostly dark grey.

So I searched a more efficient (and cheap) solution. Large plates are rather clostly per stud. The cheapest I could find were the 4x6. I made a model in LDD to know how much of these I had to order. A Bricklink shop in Belgium (to keep postage costs low) had just the right amount at a right price. The next days when I wanted to order I discovered that half of the stock was gone... so I had to re-do the LDD model using some 2x6 instead, as the cost of two 2x6 was similar to one 4x6, and the shop had plenty of these.

So I made a base with two layers of plates, which is more solid than the simple layer of large plates:

floor1r.png P1100670_2.JPG floor2r.png P1100671_2.JPG

(the colors in LDD were used just to make it easier visually)

The most difficult was then to separate walls from ground:

P1100672_1.JPG

P1100673_1.JPG

P1100674_1.JPG

Using many small plates rather than large ones has a big advantage: if I need to access the middle of a room with a tiled floor, I can do it rather easily from under. And indeed I needed to do that to do some changes, so that assembly of "small" plates was a good choice.

For the office/storage room made in sand green, I optimized the parts usage: I used damaged white parts (just dirty/yellowed, not deformed) for the few non-visible parts, and I used 1x2s (that I have in larger amounts) for the less visible parts, keeping most of the precious 1x4/1x6s for future MOCs.

On the Lego B&P site, I addition of sand green bricks (to replenish my stock) I also ordered 1x2 sand green plates to replace the grey ones at the top of the wall (so only the top tiles are grey).

P1100676_1.JPG

And now, in the continuity of what I did previously, I finished the living room with the couch/TV side, which looks like this:

real_P1100550_2.JPG real_P1100551_2.JPG

And the Lego version:

P1100685_1.JPG

P1100687_1.JPG

The floor; I spared tiles where they were not visible:

P1100677_1.JPG

The back of the big display case:

P1100678_1.JPG

The furniture under the window and the book case in the corner (placed at 45° angle)

P1100680_1.JPG

When putting all together I discovered that the furniture could not go under the window because of the curtains, I had to modify it a bit:

P1100681_1.JPG

Under the couch:

P1100682_1.JPG

Due to the color, the parts selection was rather limited; thanks to the second Town Hall that I bought for parts, I find the result rather good :classic:

It is very fragile, but it stays in one piece while not touching it too much.

General view:

P1100688_1.JPG

I replaced the tiles in front of the window by bars (bought in a previous Bricklink order), more similar to what is there in real, it looks better. I still have to re-do the balcony, maybe also with bars like that.

When making the photos I still had to find how to attach the chairs to the ground or table (seeing here at the left of the MOC). That will be for the next update, all is finished now.

I also saw afterwards that I forgot the halogen light at the right of the couch: it wasn't hard to do, just a bar and a round part.

In the next weeks my coffee table will be replaced by one with a glass top, so I can properly show this MOC in my living room. But then I'll also have to replace the table in the Lego version :laugh:

Edited by antp

Eventually finished... I found I way to attach the seats to the table:

P1100690_1.JPGP1100693_1.JPG

I also added the missing lamp near the window, and replaced the coffee table:

P1100697_1.JPG

As I replaced it by one that allows to display that MOC:

P1100703_1.JPG

General view:

P1100699_1.JPG

There are still some details to change: the balcony that I have to re-do, the table that could be done better, some missing details or things that changed "in real", etc.

I should also do better photos of each room.

Wow! Quite a story....fun watching the build.

Fantastic display inside your coffee table...congratulations on a fine build!

This is really great! Nice work! I like the details like the coat and the paper towel roll in the kitchen.

I also really like your parking tower on your MOC page.

Do you usually keep your models long term?

JFG

Do you usually keep your models long term?

Usually not: the other builds of my MOCpage were quickly dismantled after photos, except the fire truck made for the fire brigade and the yellow Renault 17 that I made for a previous contest: I'll probably keep these some time, until I really need parts from them.

The apartment will most likely stay built (and updated), until I move to somewhere else ;)

*speechless*

I don't think I've ever seen so much detail in a MOC! You just need to add a little apartment building into the LEGO-built coffee table... :classic:

This looks great! I think the "ladder" balcony looks better, not as heavy. I love all of the details, and the LEGO storage desk looks surprisingly realistic!

You just need to add a little apartment building into the LEGO-built coffee table... :classic:

Yes I added it with tiles shaped as 2x3, but I have to update the photos ;)

This looks great! I think the "ladder" balcony looks better, not as heavy. I love all of the details, and the LEGO storage desk looks surprisingly realistic!

The balcony is still the one thing I have to re-do, I'll try with a mix of bars and ladders, to make it less heavy indeed. The result of such replacement was already positive for the bars in front of the windows.

Digging up my old thread for the 2016 update...

Last year I moved all the Lego stuff from the bedroom to the office/storage room to change it to a office/lego room:

P1110273_1.JPGP1110272_1.JPG

real_P1110267_2.JPG real_P1110269_2.JPG

So I moved all the CDs and DVDs to the bedroom, where Lego were previously stored:

P1110271_1.JPG

real_P1110265_2.JPG

In the bedroom, I also replaced the combination of transparent window + aluminum foil by the "mirror" part that was introduced in the "Detective's Office" set.

What a spectacular effort. I am awestruck. I really like the fact that you've put the MOC on display in your new coffee table; that's a great touch.

Well done!