Sign in to follow this  
mordatre

Review: 75034 Death Star troopers

Thanks for the review, I picked this up earlier in the week, the minfigs are really great, and the blasters are useful in (but not as SW blasters). The parts are pretty useful and in useful colours as well, so it was a nice buy.

You only bought one? ;)

Sigh...crappy blasters, a poor effort at recreating a Death Star Gun (the one in the actual Death Star looks much better) and new Royal guards incompatible with the older ones with silly weapons, yet somehow they managed to get the Death Star Gunners perfect. I really wish they'd given us some Death Star Troopers with the new helmet (currently only available in the 2012 Tie Fighter set) and/or some imperial officers (a scanning team would have been great) as well as the Gunners.

I'll be picking up to add the Gunners to my Death Star but it's really a missed opportunity IMO.

, a poor effort at recreating a Death Star Gun (the one in the actual Death Star looks much better)

I think it's meant to be one of the thousands of turbolaser gun emplacements dotting the death star rather than the main planet killing cannon. It's not great but it seems a little bit better than most gun emplacements in battle backs. The occasional speeder bike is nice but most of the time it's a waste of bricks. Flickfire missiles are not and never were cool.

I agree with you though that the new blaster looks rubbish. The single piece ones used up until now have been far better. I guess for kids it's another play feature but for AFOLs it might serve as a hairdryer for my city minifigs. I'm not going to comment on the force pikes.

The minigigs themselves are fantastic. Especially as these ones have been hard to get until now. The Death Star Gunner's helmet has always been cool. I guess that's the reward for having the best K/D ratio in the star wars universe.

new Royal guards incompatible with the older ones with silly weapons

I think the new Royal Guards are a lot better than the old, including the weapons, especially compared to the screen original:

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080505025345/starwars/images/2/28/RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg

The DSGs are of course perfect.

Even as a staunch Rebel, I could not resist buying that set.

Thanks for the review. I was already planning on getting this set (one of the few I will get in the winter wave of SW). I like each figure, and since I have neither, I welcome them both. The RGs look way better now than the originals (in my opinion). The weapon choice is an interesting compromise, but I'm sure someone will come up with something better.

I like the double sided capes that are being released more often now. I am sure I will find a use for one in my GoH builds, but I could use other colors instead of red.

I won't build the laser cannon, so that won't appeal to me, but I actually do like those blasters. I want to see the blaster button/hinge used elsewhere since it has the clips on the side.

I am sure I will have as much fun with these blasters as I do with my cannons. Just don't aim at the eyes.

Well, I was already planning on a few, (that Imperial Army needs built somehow) but I might have to double up again after reading. Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think the head of the Death Star Gunner might make a good Coulson head for Marvel?

Thanks for the review!

I told myself once that if the Death Star trooper becomes a minifigure, I might finally put my army building days to rest...

Good thing I bought a lot of those smaller SW pistols before...But I do like the possibilities on the new ones.

I'm still searching for a better rendition of the big guns, though.

Edited by Or2Me2

How well do the new blasters work?

Very well, there is quite some power for such a small mechanism and I lost a few studs...

Thanks for this review. This BP is the only confirmed set 2014 that i will gor after for sure (a couple of times, actually)! :wub:

In terms of a BP, i would have preferred to see at least one Death Star trooper in this BP (remember the naming). I guess that they are numbering much higher than the gunners and royal guards do. Still, this is a must have for any OT fan... :wink:

When it comes to Lego, I am more of a PT-fan despite my age, but still yes: the Gunners are great and the pack would have been even greater with the Death Star Troopers.

Nonetheless, since I missed the early sets with the Royal Guards and do not have the money (or space) for the DS, this set was a great opportunity getting them. And since they have more screentime in the PT and furthermore appear in the Clone Wars series, this set is well suited for PT-fans too. My guards are standing in Palpatine's office now.

Great review. I recently got this and I'm looking how to best add them to my also brand new 10188.

Pretty much agree with common opinions. Gunners are great, Imp Guards are ok (dunno why but I like better the ones with pikes) and the cannon is a bit crappy.

And the guns, although a bit thick, they are great and much more powerful than I expected.

Here's a link to ( http://imgur.com/LUP...u5dTI,xhhyFEu#0 ) an image showing the crappy add-on id did to the DS. I'm actually thinking of displacing a bit the original cannon to leave a bit of space for this new one, but just haven't had the time.

Edited by gulfuroth

Great review, just one thing to add. The DSG have two face prints, one with a closed mouth (also in the SD microfighter set) and one with an open mouth.

hm....I do't really like the build for the gun....doesn't look that good with all the clear red pieces...I will have to change them to grey when i get it. I love the minifgures! They look so cool! So, should I have this set or the actual death star gun that comes with the death star on my death star lego set? (assuming this is compatible with the death star set)

hm....I do't really like the build for the gun....doesn't look that good with all the clear red pieces...I will have to change them to grey when i get it. I love the minifgures! They look so cool! So, should I have this set or the actual death star gun that comes with the death star on my death star lego set? (assuming this is compatible with the death star set)

I'm actually trying to put them both :)

Thank you for the blaster suggestions. It'll be very likely I'll covert them to a bazuka and hopefully they can fire the "missiles". I, however, do not like the new blasters as laser guns, I prefer the old ones.

Here is a comment from non-Starwars fan.

As much I love the red guys designs the other two looks so silly. Do they really had such weird helmets? They look like robotic cyclops for me because of that print.

*Googles them*

OH wow. they indeed looks so ridiculous even in movie.

Anyway. Love this set as it provides great amount of pieces, new very interesting blasters.

The flickfire missle is rubbish though.

Here is a comment from non-Starwars fan.

As much I love the red guys designs the other two looks so silly. Do they really had such weird helmets? They look like robotic cyclops for me because of that print.

*Googles them*

OH wow. they indeed looks so ridiculous even in movie.

Anyway. Love this set as it provides great amount of pieces, new very interesting blasters.

The flickfire missle is rubbish though.

OH wow, you've never seen Star Wars, not even once? :wink:

The Gunners' helmets DO look a bit strange, but not as strange as samurai helmets! :tongue:

Well, I'll be getting this set, too for the minifigs only.

Good review, I'm glad to see that Death Star trooper helmets don't need a black head underneath!