Sign in to follow this  
Cyberbricker

Review: 75041 Volture Droid

I guess it's funny for me how far off into the future Star Wars is supposed to be yet here we have a guy with an ol' world musket and conquistador helmet.

Well Star Wars actually takes place a long, long time ago soo... maybe Conquistadors copied the Neimoidians.

Hmm,.. I wanted to get this set, but it's really oversized. And that cocpit is just useless, also as others mentioned above it ruins the design when the fighter is in walker mode. But that neimoidian is pure awesomness. All in all the fighter is a good looking one and I only have the first old droid fighter so I ay getting this one.

I guess it's funny for me how far off into the future Star Wars is supposed to be yet here we have a guy with an ol' world musket and conquistador helmet. Maybe he just watched Army of Darkness one too many times. :laugh:

Many people apparently don't get the fact that some guns in the SW universe look more steampunkish than others. I think the gun and the helmet are good representation of the source material:

http://www.chinese-starwars.com/starwarsepisode3/charactors/othercharactor016.jpg

If you want uber-realistic figures and weapons, buy action figures, not LEGO.

Hmm,.. I wanted to get this set, but it's really oversized. And that cocpit is just useless, also as others mentioned above it ruins the design when the fighter is in walker mode. But that neimoidian is pure awesomness. All in all the fighter is a good looking one and I only have the first old droid fighter so I ay getting this one.

I don't think it's that oversized tbh, if at all. The scale seems about right when you consider the size of the buzz droid missiles in the movie.

With a few minor alterations it looks pretty good. I was gonna remove the cockpit but I've sorta grown fond of the feature, since it can also seat normal minifigs, which I think is neat =P.

Unfortunally I only have the EPI Droid Fighter, they are almost the same I think so I will post a picture of that. I like the old one better then the new one actually... :tongue:

The new one is really too big, the legs are an improvement, but the body is not!

That will do, thanks a lot :classic:.

Well Star Wars actually takes place a long, long time ago soo...

That's what made the opening bit for the Family Guy Star Wars specials so funny.

"A long time ago yet somehow in the future..." :laugh:

maybe Conquistadors copied the Neimoidians.

Yeah, probably. :wink:

Many people apparently don't get the fact that some guns in the SW universe look more steampunkish than others. I think the gun and the helmet are good representation of the source material:

http://www.chinese-s...haractor016.jpg

If you want uber-realistic figures and weapons, buy action figures, not LEGO.

The overall minifigure does look very close to the source material as you pointed out. Even then, I liked the uniqueness of the character and his choice of armaments anyway. I just think it's cool mixing old and new in a futuristic frontier.

Edited by TheOrcKing

personally just getting for the Nemoidian...pretty sad state of affairs in this years collection IMO

When those blurry and small set pics first leaked, this was an easy pass for me. But after seeing actual pics of it, I dare say I actually sort of want it now. It's not at the top of my list, but it's certainly now on my 'get-if-I-get-everything-else-on-my-list-and-still-have-money' list.

Thanks for the review, Cyberbricker!

Question- just how does the spring loaded launcher work? Are you supposed to flick it or something?

You press the rear of the missile down and it fires, you can even insert them in either end.

Edited by khatmorg

Thanks for the review. I must admit that the Neimodian is the only reason why I like this set a bit. However it is an odd choice to include it with a droid fighter. He would have been better with a Neimodian craft obviously, or in a Mustafa scene.

I wonder what took Lego so long giving us this warrior anyway, as it does not require a new mold (and I think the conquistador-pieces are a perfect fit).

I must admit that the Neimodian is the only reason why I like this set a bit. However it is an odd choice to include it with a droid fighter. He would have been better with a Neimodian craft obviously, or in a Mustafa scene.

Well, look at the A-Wing Starfighter released for 2013. Why did Lego include Han Solo and General Ackbar as they have nothing directly to do with the spaceship? I think there is a certain minifigure ratio quota to help offset the retail so perhaps those two characters like the Neimodian Warrior were included simply to 'fill out' the set. They also realize plenty of people will buy certain sets just to collect certain minifigures as well.

I understand, that is true, although the A-Wing is imo a particulary special example: the pilot is mandatory, but why not various Rebel technicians, soldiers and officers? It worked for the Tie-Fighter, didn't it? This set included the pilot, an officer, a trooper and droid. Perfect, imo.

The Vulture could have come with other droids, or a Neimodian captain we see on CIS ships. In combination with the captain the Neimodian guard would almost be sensible...

Cock pit is to have the pilot in it.

I'm no expert (so correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm pretty sure the Vulture Droid is self-piloted (aka there is no reason to have a cockpit in the first place). I see LEGO's reason behind including one though, it's a great play feature for kids.

I'm no expert (so correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm pretty sure the Vulture Droid is self-piloted (aka there is no reason to have a cockpit in the first place). I see LEGO's reason behind including one though, it's a great play feature for kids.

You're correct. The Vulture Droid is a droid, therefore it needs no pilot.

Ugh I hate that they (Lego) never have managed to get a accurate and strong wing design. They started off with just using blocks and that was too chuncky, so then they moved to droid arms, and now technic pieces that look out of place... urhghgh. Good looking set other than that though.

The set looks pretty nice, but those stickers look like a nightmare to get aligned straight.

I know its supposed to be self piloted but for some reason lego made a short video of a pilot droid in it. :/