Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

A whitecoat army

I needed to bring more diversity into my pirate world, so I decided to make one more faction... I used one of the torsos posted my Mr legofreak in this thread, so the credit goes to him! I repainted the torso to make it white, becasue I'd never seen white uniforms based on those worn by Admiral Woodhouse/Governor Broadside before, and I had too many modern looking white torsos anyway.

In addition to the whitecoats, I used black/blue ninja torsos to make some ordinary sailors.

So here's the picture of the new crew:

white-coat-army.jpg

Now I just have to build a ship for them :)

And BTW, any idea what nation they might represent? :P

Very nice faction! Though maybe somewhat unpractical? All that white will get dirty fast in a battle X-D Instead of being bothered to paint them, though, why don't you just leave it blank, and print on clear decal paper? That way you can just apply it to any torso you want without needing to reprint and exactly match the torso color (which can sometimes be a huge pain)

Nice army Mr. Dreamweb. Those prints seem of a very high quality. Did you use a laser printer?

If I would have to guess (without starting an investigation) I would say they are Austrian.

Would you be willing to share that torso design so I can add it to The great pirate torso LIBRARY.

I've resized the picture a bit so I fits directly in the thread. Hope you don't mind.

Now I just have to build a ship for them :)

Hey Dreamweb,

I know what color you should make their ship.

White :-D

Those are some great looking soldiers there mate. *y*

P

Instead of being bothered to paint them, though, why don't you just leave it blank, and print on clear decal paper?

Perhaps I could do that, however the torsos I used weren't just plain white, so I needed a full torso, with the white part, to cover the original printing (yes, I know there's a way to remove the print, but I didn't want to do that). The same goes for every other colour of the torso.

These are stickers, not decals, with which I have no experience :)

That way you can just apply it to any torso you want without needing to reprint and exactly match the torso color (which can sometimes be a huge pain)

That's one of the reasons I chose white - It's one of the easiest colours to match - it's much easier than looking for the right shade of blue or gray or whatever :)

Those prints seem of a very high quality. Did you use a laser printer?

If I would have to guess (without starting an investigation) I would say they are Austrian.

Would you be willing to share that torso design so I can add it to The great pirate torso LIBRARY.

It's not the high quality of the prints, it's the medium quality of the picture :) If I showed you a big picture of one of these minifigs, you'd see they aren't so great, and the fact that these are stickers is visible. But they're good enough for my requirements *sweet*

I used an inkjet printer.

Here's the torso, like I mentioned it's just one of legofreak's designs, repainted.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dreamweb...ats/uniform.bmp

You can find it in the brickshelf gallery, where you can also see pictures of some of the original torsos I used:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=245774

Edited by Dreamweb

These torsos are quite nicely done Mr Dreamweb and at first glance I never would have suspected the result was achieved with an inkjet printer.

So now I come to wondering which faction is this? Whom do the uniforms represent?

I'd say France, because before Napoleon's time the old regime soldiers were white-coats, and called "Les Blancs".

Now where did I see illustrations of these Les Blancs? It was either on one of those historic uniform websites or a miniatures website. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I think we should get some of those illustrations for this thread.

Nice!

I think they look American, except the Ninja! X-D

Also I see a Pirate Spy.How could yu let him bypass your faction. X-O X-D

Now where did I see illustrations of these Les Blancs? It was either on one of those historic uniform websites or a miniatures website. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I know there are quite a lot of them in the second season of Hornblower (Two episodes called "The Frogs and the Lobsters"). They are white and purple rather than white and blue though.

Oh, and excellent work with the stickers! :-$

I would have prefered blue epaulettes over brown though...

Here's the torso, like I mentioned it's just one of legofreak's designs, repainted.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Dreamweb...ats/uniform.bmp

Thanks! It's now part of The great pirate torso LIBRARY.

I think we should get some of those illustrations for this thread.

Here is an example of a royal French soldier:

soldierfrench.jpg

I know there are quite a lot of them in the second season of Hornblower (Two episodes called "The Frogs and the Lobsters"). They are white and purple rather than white and blue though.

I happen to have those episodes... Now all all I need to do is get around to watching them.

Here is an example of a royal French soldier

Thank you Mr Bonaparte!

I happen to have those episodes... Now all all I need to do is get around to watching them.

You actually own Hornblower episodes that you haven

It probably should be. I've got about 150 DVDs I haven't got round to watching. I put too much work into my university projects - its such a disgrace!

What kind of paper are you using Mr Maniac? Include the brand name too, because different brands may produce better results.

I don't use anything because I've never made a torso before. What's really been holding me back is lack of colour printer, but I asked for the benefit of those who have made torsos before and they might be able to give you suggestions in your Pirate Captain thread.

I use this brand Mr.Phes. The ordinary transparent paper is good but the white backed is not, what do you use?

transparent paper :-$

That's a great idea. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the white edges when you cut out the torso portion

*y*

Using transparent paper will decrease a lot of tedious work when trying to make 50 to 100 custom figs.

P

transparent paper :-$

That's a great idea. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the white edges when you cut out the torso portion

*y*

Using transparent paper will decrease a lot of tedious work when trying to make 50 to 100 custom figs.

P

although transparent would not allow you to put the stickers over torsos that were not plain. Plain (blank) torsos seem hard to come by.