Sign in to follow this  
BEAVeR

[MOC] Slave I - 75003 alternate model

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

11342139014_38df0eb9dd_z.jpg

[MOC] Slave I - flyby by Bert.VR, on Flickr

Well, that Slave I has some weird colors! Not exactly minifig scale, is it? And that isn't even Boba Fett in the cockpit... What is going on here?

Yes, I can read minds :wink: . But don't the colors and the parts remind you of a certain LEGO set? The A-wing (75003) perhaps?

Indeed, this Slave I is an alternate build of that set. Do you remember that good old days, when Star Wars sets came with alternate models :wub: (like the y-wing and tie advanced: you could build tons of things, ranging from a battering ram to a lightsaber! But I'm digressing.)

That's right, all 99 pieces come from the A-wing set. It was quite a hard build. I used up every single plate in the process, and getting some good SNOT done for the 'nose'-area was quite tricky without any real SNOT bricks. But hey, I think I managed quite well.

I was even able to include some play features. Besides details like the guns, some details on the wings and featured motors, the cockpit opens, a minifig can be fitted inside (and rejoice: even Boba can fit in with his helmet and jetpack! :classic: ), and the wings can be tilted for flight and landing. It lays perfectly flat and stable once landed, and it swooshes quite well, I suppose. Not too bad for just an alternate build, I would say...

11342038775_297a829970_z.jpg

[MOC] Slave I - landing position by Bert.VR, on Flickr.

This model was built for the December alternate build contest at Rebrickable. Sign up and have some fun with alternate builds for yourself. It's genuine Lego. You buy a set, build it within half an hour, destroy it after fiftheen minutes of playing, and start building something completely different with just those few bricks. It's delightful :cry_happy: . I certainly got hooked. Lots of ideas are boiling in my head. How about a tiny republic gunship...?

Thanks for watching. I hope you've enjoyed it. One more picture of the back can be found at my Flickr account. And in the unlikely case you're interested in building this model, instructions (in the form of the digital model) are available at Rebrickable. If you don't have the A-wing, you'll find a handy part-list as well. And if you aren't into digital models, here's a pdf with the generated building instructions. Read them very carefully, cause they're quite obscure at some points. :look:

I leave you with a final picture:

11342118466_5752cfb1aa_z.jpg

[MOC] Slave I - Give me back my coffee! by Bert.VR, on Flickr

So that's why Boba Fett chases Han Solo...

For the people into SoNE:

When we rode away in the highjacked Sandcrawler, I finally got some rest. I wandered around the vessel, and found myself intrigued with all those parts of junk. What wonderful things could be built with those parts! My pilot's heart began imagining all kinds of different ships. I don't remember if I really saw it, or if I just imagined it. But I have a clear memory of what looked like a Slave I. I got a little scared, but very soon saw it was not Fett's ship. One of those rebels had built it with the remains of his A-wing! Some people can do great things with part piles, I thought to myself, even rebels...

I don't want this to be judged however, since it's already an entry in the Rebrickable contest. But I found it funny to build with even fewer parts this time, so I thought I'd share this with you as an aside.

This is awesome. I mean why would anyone enter the "Alternate building"-competition after this :)

You won't be carrying any Carbonite Solo in this one, but I really like the notion of a small and nimble Slave-1!

My A-wing-wings is tied up in a white/blue version of the 75025 Jedi Defender, otherwise I wanted to build this in real life.

I love the challenge of the alternate build. This is a winner right here. I would like to join the fun, but with MOCers like you, I wouldn't stand a chance! :laugh:

This could be a prototye design by KSE for their Firespray-31

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I hadn't expected that much response, so thank you. :classic:

I love it! I wish you could make instructions, I would love to build it!

Well, I did! On the Rebrickable page, you'll find a part list and a link to the digital model. If you're not familiar with Lego Digital Designer, I've created a pdf with the generated buidling instructions as well. Be carefull to read the part callouts properly, as those instructions are quite unclear from time to time. I hope it delivers all you need. I'm very glad you want to build it.

That's impossible! Really great build! I wonder how many other SW (or non-SW) sets can be Slave I-ified.

Great idea... I think the X-wing is a winner :grin: !

This is awesome. I mean why would anyone enter the "Alternate building"-competition after this :)

I love the challenge of the alternate build. This is a winner right here. I would like to join the fun, but with MOCers like you, I wouldn't stand a chance! :laugh:

Hey, wait a minute! It was my intention to encourage other people to enter in this contest, not to discourage them! And believe me: this is not the best alternate build out there. I'm sure you guys can come up with some pretty cool stuf yourself! :wink:

You won't be carrying any Carbonite Solo in this one, but I really like the notion of a small and nimble Slave-1!

Well, if you shrink him down first, then dismantle some of your ship and find an extra stud, you can perfectly fit the carbonite Solo in there! Thanks for pointing out this extra play feature! :tongue:

640x339.jpg

Hey, nice entry BEAVeR. I entered as well. I think you commented on it...yes, you did. Thanks! Good luck with the contest!