Hi guys,

Has anyone ever purchased a custom figure from the user 'poppunkmunky' on eBay? I'm specifically looking to buy the Daredevil figure (link).

How is the printing? Would you say it's worth it for the quality?

Thanks in advance

I have quite a few of their minifigs. While I don't have many from other sellers to compare them to, Poppunkmunky makes quality stuff. Great attention to detail and a durable product at a good price.

This is a strange situation, as he/they got many positive feedbacks on e-bay. On the other hand, I've heard from reliable sources that he/they happened to sell minifigs based on other customisers' designs without authorisation in the past. As far as I know he/they now claim to be working with own designs only.

I have quite a few of their minifigs. While I don't have many from other sellers to compare them to, Poppunkmunky makes quality stuff. Great attention to detail and a durable product at a good price.

Great, thanks!

This is a strange situation, as he/they got many positive feedbacks on e-bay. On the other hand, I've heard from reliable sources that he/they happened to sell minifigs based on other customisers' designs without authorisation in the past. As far as I know he/they now claim to be working with own designs only.

I heard about that, seems to be all their own designs now though.

How is the printing? Would you say it's worth it for the quality?

I haven't ordered any complete minifigures, but I ordered several of their printed torsos and am very happy with them.

On the other hand, I've heard from reliable sources that he/they happened to sell minifigs based on other customisers' designs without authorisation in the past.

I'm a bit on the fence on that issue. On the one hand, it's definitely bad form. On the other hand, most custom minifigures that are sold are derivatives of other people's intellectual property in the first place.

If Customizer A is selling a Daredevil minifigure that is based on Customizer B's design without Customizer B's consent, yeah, that's bad form, but I doubt either one of them has the consent of Marvel to use the character in the first place and are thus violating both the copyright and trademark on the character's design and, indirectly at least competing with LEGO's license for the Marvel characters. So even if one sells only one's own, original, copyright and trademark infringing designs, there remain issues.

I haven't ordered any complete minifigures, but I ordered several of their printed torsos and am very happy with them.

Thanks, I'll probably grab a Punisher and Gambit torso while I'm at it.

I sometimes have some reservations about purchasing these custom minifigs. Sure, the character rights belong to either Disney or Time Warner, but I figure that hell will freeze over by the time DC and TLG make any other minifigs/sets that aren't Batman-related. Marvel and TLG are a little better at varying their minifigs, but the character selection is horrible. If the character hasn't made an appearance on either USM or Avengers Assemble, it's not gonna see the light of day. I mean, even the "X-Men" set, and I use the name loosely, was made just because Wolverine and Deadpool have made appearances on USM. I'd be all over genuine superhero minifigs if there was better selection. I spent a little over $100 on eBay for the SDCC exclusive Phoenix Minifig. The X-Men comic books got me through some hard times as a pre-teen not fitting in because of being so introverted back then. Now, as a grown up, it felt wrong not buying Phoenix when given the chance.

Now that i made it through my dark ages, I can't get enough of these custom minifigs. Besides, if Poppunkmunky wasn't making them, I'd just buy from some other customizer.

snip

That's the same way I feel about it. I buy customs if I don't think it's likely TLG will ever make official versions. The SDCC ones really annoy me though. There's no way I'm going to get them since so few were made but they're really good figures.

Sorry for kinda bumping this topic up again, but I just wanted to say a few things.

1. Poppunkmonkey is known to have multiple aliases, a few are: PremiumCustomWork (known on here and Flickr), PremiumGrafx (Flickr, maybe here), BatBrick (Flickr, and here) as well as Poppunkmonkey (eBay).

2. Myself and a few others have tried to prevent them from continuously producing figures with stolen designs, however they have come up with MANY lies and excuses.

3. Therefore, I would highly recommend NOT purchasing anything from them. Their quality printing is OK, however, a majority of their designs were stolen from FineClonier, and a few other lesser known decal artists on here and Flickr.

Yes he steals designs and blackmails the owners in to deleting the design from the internet. They also have apparently hacked emails for info and have stated that they record things that are against Flickr guidelines and delete Flickr users if they say something to someone about the stolen designs or tell someone not to buy from them.

Myself and a few others have tried to prevent them from continuously producing figures with stolen designs

Almost all the designs, even "original" designs are stolen because they are almost always non-licensed products featuring characters and designs that are protected by copyrights and trademarks. If you as an individual design your own Daredevil minifigure that is recognizable as Daredevil, and you then print and sell it, unless you have a license from Marvel, which seems unlikely in light of TLG's license, then you're basically selling a "stolen design."

Their quality printing is OK, however, a majority of their designs were stolen from FineClonier, and a few other lesser known decal artists on here and Flickr.

Not to mention from Marvel, DC, Lucasfilm and a few other well-known media companies. Like I said before, I get that stealing other people's designs is bad form, but I'm not sure I get why it's considered worse than selling unlicensed products based on copyrighted and trademarked characters.

If your Daredevil figure is based, without permission, on some other individual's unlicensed Daredevil design, you're still stealing that dude's design, much like if Al robs a bank, and then then Bob stops Al as he makes his getaway and steals the cash from Al, Bob's still a thief. But is Bob's theft from Al somehow worse than Al's theft from the bank?

Edited by Luke Styer

Almost all the designs, even "original" designs are stolen because they are almost always non-licensed products featuring characters and designs that are protected by copyrights and trademarks. If you as an individual design your own Daredevil minifigure that is recognizable as Daredevil, and you then print and sell it, unless you have a license from Marvel, which seems unlikely in light of TLG's license, then you're basically selling a "stolen design."

Not to mention from Marvel, DC, Lucasfilm and a few other well-known media companies. Like I said before, I get that stealing other people's designs is bad form, but I'm not sure I get why it's considered worse than selling unlicensed products based on copyrighted and trademarked characters.

If your Daredevil figure is based, without permission, on some other individual's unlicensed Daredevil design, you're still stealing that dude's design, much like if Al robs a bank, and then then Bob stops Al as he makes his getaway and steals the cash from Al, Bob's still a thief. But is Bob's theft from Al somehow worse than Al's theft from the bank?

Yes, I see what you are saying. The way I see it, we as customizers take it upon ourselves to create in LEGO form our own version of the character, it is based off of the design by MARVEL, DC, Star Wars, or whatever the character is. However, we do not claim it to be the official version, but rather just our own interpretation of it. While Poppunkmonkey is known to take someone's interpretation of it and duplicate (spot on) and claim it as their own. I would not mind if they did their own versions or interpretations of it, but they don't, they directly steal designs someone has made and use those.

Sadly, most of the people calling them thieves do not know the whole story, and are spreading lies. For what reason, I am uncertain of. I don't see why they are saying that they have multiple accounts. Poppunkmunky has never had a Flickr. They don't have the time. I am Jack Ho and I post pictures of their products and that does not make me them. PinnacleGrafix is not them either. They are accusing random people trying to slander their names. I've seen people try to give them a bad name just to bring their sales up. I believe they dominate all minifigure sales so it would make sense for everyone to try to put them down. 99% of the people have nothing to say have nothing to do with the situation either. The big question is why would a company who makes enough money to hire a Graphic Designer, steal designs? They are the nicest out of all the LEGO sellers I've ever spoken with.

If you were wondering why people say they stole stuff is because they saw stuff from other companies/LEGO fans like FineClonier. But they never wondered why. I say they are the nicest people because they actually wanted to give money back into the LEGO community, they even take requests just to make a single person happy. Years ago, kids started to download decals off various sites and go to Poppunkmunky to buy them, stating them as their own. They trusted these kids, and eventually it caught up with them. They never "intentionally" stole any designs. They don't want to release any names because they "seller" requested them not to at the time. They hired a Graphic Designer a little over a year ago, so that would also make sure that nothing was ever stolen. It was up until recent where people really started to talk about it and somehow, the occurrences from the last few years were pinned on the brand-new designer. The designer went by the name of Bat-Brick. But there was a guy who asked Bat-Brick if he could use his name for something and basically what the guy who wanted to use his name did was just cause trouble on Flickr, "testing" the LEGO fans for some psychology project.

I know a few of the people who will say they stole stuff would be saying it because of peer pressure. Because who wants to be the guy in the group who doesn't stick with the idea, right?

Poppunkmunky or their now ex-Graphic Designer(slowing down on the side job) have never "replicated" someones work.

They have never had a Flickr

They have never intentionally stolen something

They removed the stolen items from eBay(still in the process because they have a listing schedule and sometimes old products make their way on it)

Another thing people do is try to find a problem with everything that has to do with them. People would actually post on my photos on Flickr, something like "I have never seen that in my life, but it's stolen". They will also try to compare it to other peoples work and try to come up with a reason on how they could try to convince people they stole something. I've seen someone call their Daredevil stolen off some guy on Flickr when the two designs contrast very much so.

Something that happened over the summer was the release of Eclipsegrafx's Justice Kids(Young Justice). Some people may know, Pop had been printing Young Justice figures since early this year. But in the world of Flickr, that means nothing. So the next time Pop put out a Young Justice figure, people started calling them copied. It all has to do with the company's reputation in a certain area. Eclipsegrafx and the new customizer Phoenix Custom Bricks are both producing Captain America figures from the new movie. PCB was a week or so after Eclipsegrafx's, but not a single comment was made about someone copying someone. Now I bet if Poppunkmunky were to release one, there'd be 100+ comments on my stream and several comments just spammed on my photostream on random pictures. There was also an occurrence where someone was going to print a Dr. Strange, which Pop had planned since April or so. Poppunkmunky did not have the new UV Digital printer (which they own, let's you know what they have to work with and adds to why it would make no sense to steal), so they could not print the legs, and also, the design was not finished. So then in a conversation with that also new seller(who supposedly used other people's designs too, but guess what, no one cared) it was brought up that Poppunkmunky was going to release a Dr. Strange figure and some Future Foundation Fantastic 4 figures. The seller quickly jumped to defense because he mentioned earlier that he was making those figures(privately). He swore that his ideas were stolen, but little did he know, Poppunkmunky had been selling the FF Fantastic 4 for almost a year before. But then when Poppunkmunky said that they would delay their print of Dr. Strange(money away from their family needs) just so this guy could make a little pocket change. Then he took all his assumptions back :blush: Eventually he was taking way too long to get his items printed, that Poppunkmunky had people pushing them to print it, and they had been busy for the week and they picked two easy figures to print and then the assumptions came back from that person. This is also the same guy who had some custom prints from Christo7108 on eBay. These prints were valued a lot because they were """rare Christo prints""". He used Christo's name to boost his sales and Christo did not give him permission to do that and did not want that done. Poppunkmunky actually blocked him on eBay because of his morals. They sacrificed possible purchases because they did not want to deal with someone like that. That guy is the reason that Christo will not do any more custom printing of anyone, ever. A funny thing is because a few of the people calling them thieves, have stolen their pictures and replicated their designs and personal documents and posted them publicly on Flickr and Brickshelf. Hypocrites, trolls and instigators if you ask me.

As for PinnacleGraifx(ex-EliteGrafix), I actually gave them money to get their first items printed(willing to do this for anyone given their idea and reasons) and that's all. You can see people's attempt to slander a name that has anything to do with Poppunkmunky.

I have attached a picture of one of the emails(with some information blacked out) of someone selling stolen work. Note how they say they are moving overseas and they wanted a confidentiality agreement. I and Poppunkmunky are the only people who can really tell you the truth.

Screenshot_zpsa146a9e2.jpg

And KingPixels, to answer your questions, it's worth every penny. The printing is great(very strong), it is a little thicker than usual but for me, that doesn't take away from the custom.

Edited by PremiumCustomWork

All I see in your reply are a bunch of red herrings pointing away from the fact that Poppunkmonkey and you are the same. And once again, using the alternate identity of EliteGrafx (A near copy of EclipseGrafx) and claiming to give them money, only goes to show you are the same person.

Additionally, post as many bogus emails as you want, due to blocking out all information doesn't prove a thing. I could post a bogus email showing that the president of the United States of America emailed me, and it would prove the same that your post did.

Oh, and just so you know, Poppunkmonkey most definitely does NOT dominate the custom minifigure sales. Maybe on eBay (which really just consists of kids who don't know better) but even still, I would say out of all customizers, Poppunkmonkey controls about 3-4% of custom minifigure sales. Adding onto that fact, you stated "The big question is why would a company who makes enough money to hire a Graphic Designer, steal designs?" Because you, as well as all your other alternate identities have stated that you ARE graphic designers, and that you DON'T hire people anymore. And even if you had enough money to hire a graphic designer, it is always cheaper and easier to just steal designs, which it has been proven over many occasions (far too many to count) that you have stolen multiple designs, yet you always delete peoples comments, in hopes that lieing and stuffing your lies under a rug makes it all better.

All I see in your reply are a bunch of red herrings pointing away from the fact that Poppunkmonkey and you are the same. And once again, using the alternate identity of EliteGrafx (A near copy of EclipseGrafx) and claiming to give them money, only goes to show you are the same person.

Additionally, post as many bogus emails as you want, due to blocking out all information doesn't prove a thing. I could post a bogus email showing that the president of the United States of America emailed me, and it would prove the same that your post did.

Oh, and just so you know, Poppunkmonkey most definitely does NOT dominate the custom minifigure sales. Maybe on eBay (which really just consists of kids who don't know better) but even still, I would say out of all customizers, Poppunkmonkey controls about 3-4% of custom minifigure sales. Adding onto that fact, you stated "The big question is why would a company who makes enough money to hire a Graphic Designer, steal designs?" Because you, as well as all your other alternate identities have stated that you ARE graphic designers, and that you DON'T hire people anymore. And even if you had enough money to hire a graphic designer, it is always cheaper and easier to just steal designs, which it has been proven over many occasions (far too many to count) that you have stolen multiple designs, yet you always delete peoples comments, in hopes that lieing and stuffing your lies under a rug makes it all better.

If you knew me on Flickr, you would know I've said I am NOT an Graphic Designer. It has actually never been proven that Poppunkmunky deliberately stole designs. They have the receipts from all of the purchases of decals. And it's obvious they hired a Graphic Designer, as you can see by their listings. EliteGrafix was a name created by one of the members, and he based it off of another company he used to work for. In the design industry, it's not that uncommon to see someone purposely misspell "Graphics". I have no "alternate identities" as you claim. Like I said, if you want the truth or any one wants the truth, the only person to get it from is me because Poppunkmunky does not talk about it. I've given Eclipsegrafx money numerous times and that does not mean I'm him. What I'm doing is something similar to Kickstarter, but for the LEGO community. Anything anyone needs to know about what happened with Poppunkmunky and the people on Flickr can read my last post. Only way to get the truth. All the other stuff is bs and gossip.

And KingPixels, to answer your questions, it's worth every penny. The printing is great(very strong), it is a little thicker than usual but for me, that doesn't take away from the custom.

I can tell from seeing the figs on your flickr that the quality of the prints get worse and worse...+ their/your behaviour there on flickr...well it ***** ***.

This alone would be enough for me not to buy from pooppoopmonkey or persons related to them.

Edited by raminator

Another thing people do is try to find a problem with everything that has to do with them. People would actually post on my photos on Flickr, something like "I have never seen that in my life, but it's stolen". They will also try to compare it to other peoples work and try to come up with a reason on how they could try to convince people they stole something. I've seen someone call their Daredevil stolen off some guy on Flickr when the two designs contrast very much so.

Something that happened over the summer was the release of Eclipsegrafx's Justice Kids(Young Justice). Some people may know, Pop had been printing Young Justice figures since early this year. But in the world of Flickr, that means nothing. So the next time Pop put out a Young Justice figure, people started calling them copied. It all has to do with the company's reputation in a certain area. Eclipsegrafx and the new customizer Phoenix Custom Bricks are both producing Captain America figures from the new movie. PCB was a week or so after Eclipsegrafx's, but not a single comment was made about someone copying someone. Now I bet if Poppunkmunky were to release one, there'd be 100+ comments on my stream and several comments just spammed on my photostream on random pictures.

I want to apologize to the whole EB community. I hate this drama and I further hate it coming on to another reputable forum. To Clarify this whole LIE this guy is spitting about the young justice release:

Pop did have there figures designed first and no one mind at all because it was distinctively different. As soon as eclipseGrafx (we) announced our figures and showed off our designs "poppunkmonkey" decided to not only change their designs but use replicas of our new figure styles. It wouldnt have been such a big deal if the style was similar to LEGOs but we spent about a month working on a template that would compliment LEGOs style and match that of the cartoon. They then (within a week) changed all their templates to match suit.

Phoenix Custom Bricks did release screenshots of their upcoming figures, and the difference here is that theirs is distinctively different then ours or that of minifigs4u. They did not copy us but used the same reference material to make their own rendition of the figures (as the_customizer was explaining).

Also owning your own printer doesn't make you or your practice more or less credible. (FYI)

Lastly, I would take whatever PCW says with a grain of salt as he has been caught in his web of lies many times before.

I want to apologize to the whole EB community. I hate this drama and I further hate it coming on to another reputable forum. To Clarify this whole LIE this guy is spitting about the young justice release:

Pop did have there figures designed first and no one mind at all because it was distinctively different. As soon as eclipseGrafx (we) announced our figures and showed off our designs "poppunkmonkey" decided to not only change their designs but use replicas of our new figure styles. It wouldnt have been such a big deal if the style was similar to LEGOs but we spent about a month working on a template that would compliment LEGOs style and match that of the cartoon. They then (within a week) changed all their templates to match suit.

Phoenix Custom Bricks did release screenshots of their upcoming figures, and the difference here is that theirs is distinctively different then ours or that of minifigs4u. They did not copy us but used the same reference material to make their own rendition of the figures (as the_customizer was explaining).

Also owning your own printer doesn't make you or your practice more or less credible. (FYI)

Lastly, I would take whatever PCW says with a grain of salt as he has been caught in his web of lies many times before.

Please do not lie. I'm clearing things up here about me and Poppunkmunky. Sadly you don't have any word to say about the truth because it was never fully explained to you. I said they own the printer because it let's you know what budget they have to work with and another reason why it wouldn't make sense to steal the designs. You were supplied reference pictures that showed what the Designer was using for his muscle template, and it looked pretty identical. To that reference picture. Do not listen to anyone else about this because they are not talking about the real story and do not know the truth.

I can tell from seeing the figs on your flickr that the quality of the prints get worse and worse...+ their/your behaviour there on flickr...well it ***** ***.

This alone would be enough for me not to buy from pooppoopmonkey or persons related to them.

The people on eBay say otherwise. You will just add another to the group of people who are mistaken and succumb to peer pressure. Read the long post I made. It clears everything up about Flickr and Poppunkmunky. If I didn't make the Batbrick thing clear, the guy posting was not the same guy who was designing.

What do you mean "even f you had enough money"? They make more than any other vendor?!?! I think everyone already knew Poppunkmunky hired a Graphic Designer.

The people on eBay say otherwise. You will just add another to the group of people who are mistaken and succumb to peer pressure. Read the long post I made. It clears everything up about Flickr and Poppunkmunky. If I didn't make the Batbrick thing clear, the guy posting was not the same guy who was designing.

This has nothing to do with beer pressure (muhahahaha]. I´m glad and proud to live in an country where we are educated enough to look behind things and question stuff that seems strange.

I cannot tell anything on haptical quality of ppm´s prints. but from what you are posting on your flickr I can tell that quality got worse over time. Just take a look at Captain Marvel...He really looks realy blurry compared to what was printed this summer. (and it´s not the camera that is bad)

I wish you all the best to get a good reputation in this and/or other communities. But please be aware that people are having an eye on you.

On the Badbrick subject...

There was once a guy in the Command & Conquer Community that stole assets from me (http://forums.revora.net/topic/66580-ralike/) and other guys like Daz (http://www.moddb.com/mods/it-came-from-red-alert) and used it for his mod "Red Alert Millenium" (http://www.moddb.com/downloads/red-alert-millenium-v15) and acted the same way BB/you did.

I don´t want to go further into this.

So...PCW, like said I wish you all the best to get better reputation. It´ll be a long way to earn the trust, but I hope for you that you have the endurance.

Edited by raminator

You all stated your opinions. Repeating them and calling each other liar will not help sort this out.

Since this kind of squabble has been going on for moths now, on multiple boards, I don't see it coming to any understanding here and now.

I'll close this thread now, before it becomes too personal.