Adamskii

Australian 830 class diesel

Hello again folks.

This MOC is my interpretation of the 830 class diesel used by various Australian operators for the last 40 years! Some are still in use today and one passes by my suburb twice weekly (locally known as the "stonie") delivering a load of quarried stone to our local port.

One of the liveries this vehicle carried is of the "Australian National" with the green and gold. Lego green and yellow lend themselves very well to a color match. I made the handrail configuration match that of the mid 1980's.

This MOC is 6 wide at the deck, but 8 wide at the coupling plates. It has triple bogeys (Co-Co arrangement) and the innermost wheel sets are on a tile slider to manage the radius track.

This MOC is not entirely finished, I have cut the "AN" decals by hand, and am not happy with them but am waiting for some inkjet printer decal film to arrive so I can make my own waterslide decals much more neatly and accurately. Also, If you note the port and starport sides have different colored vents (one side green, one side black) as I have'nt decided whether the reference photos show green or black grills - the vents cast a shadow that make it hard to decide if its green vents with dark shadows or just dark vents. The Jury is out but I will finalise the design soon enough. Also I originally built on a Lego 28 stud deck board, and that was too short, and have since removed it and replaced with plates, and have not fixed the stud line along the chassis.

Thank you for looking at my work. Any feedback is welcome

Adam

img_1139.jpg

img_1145.jpg

img_1151.jpg

cd_p0111181.jpg

img_1138.jpg

img_1148.jpg

Another AWESOME engine 'Adamskii'......excellent detailing :wub: ......though I can't see if you have it power functioned or not ? :wink:

Keep them coming and Brick On 'Adamskii' ! :grin:

Another great train there, and again very close to the original which is very hard to do! The detailing you have managed to fit in is very inspiring.

Fantastic work and happy building :laugh:

Wow this is a brilliant MOC, The detailing and style is spot on with it's real life counterpart. Amazing!

I think the grilles are black with green frames; as such, I think the black grilles work better. I really like those colors! :thumbup:

Wow, what a great build! And a slick trick with the cab windows

Thankyou (all). The windows drove me crazy as there is no green 2 x 2 window. These are recessed 2 x 3 green windows with the tile facing.

The grills are most probably black, but every now and then up pops a photo that is decidedly green! however it must be observed that other parts of this loco change colour depending on date of service / modifications etc. Some have a dark grey roof (my original preference but lack of Lego parts in dark grey slope curve stopped this), others have the Bogeys in yellow! Others have a green roof and many combinations in between.

technic 3mm tube is a train builders best friend!

Adam

Nice work Adamskii, you have done a pretty good job with catching the look and style of this "Maid of all work" class of locomotive, I like the solutions you have come up with and I am with you about the lack of 1x2x2 widows in Green, it drives me nuts as well and there are some projects I want to work on that need them. My only suggestion at the moment in regards to the locomotive is to maybe replace the the cone that you are using for the exhaust funnel with a part ref 60481 2x1x2 Slope, I am very familiar with the 830s sister class the NSWGR 48 Class and the cone looks a bit to big to use for the funnel, alternatively you could make her into a Tasmanian version and have the funnel cut off.

Out of curiousity do you have a copy of Motive Power July/August 2013, it has a quite lengthy article on the 830 Class and follows the classes history from SAR and AN (including their deployment to the Tassie division) to the current day where they are used by a number of operators, there is also a large number of photos in all the different liveries.

Edited by Steinkopf

Nice work Adamskii, you have done a pretty good job with catching the look and style of this "Maid of all work" class of locomotive, I like the solutions you have come up with and I am with you about the lack of 1x2x2 widows in Green, it drives me nuts as well and there are some projects I want to work on that need them. My only suggestion at the moment in regards to the locomotive is to maybe replace the the cone that you are using for the exhaust funnel with a part ref 60481 2x1x2 Slope, I am very familiar with the 830s sister class the NSWGR 48 Class and the cone looks a bit to big to use for the funnel, alternatively you could make her into a Tasmanian version and have the funnel cut off.

Out of curiousity do you have a copy of Motive Power July/August 2013, it has a quite lengthy article on the 830 Class and follows the classes history from SAR and AN (including their deployment to the Tassie division) to the current day where they are used by a number of operators, there is also a large number of photos in all the different liveries.

Talk about coincidence - I started building my CK class, went looking for reference and found that issue of motive power, and the magazine has a seven page article on the stonie 830 class, as well as the one you mention, that's when I made my mind to do the 830! Yes I have that mag and those photos were my primary reference. Unable to repost pictures due to copyright. I struggled with the cone stack, I did recess it about 2 plates worth but agree it is somewhat oversize. will investigate your alternative solution thankyou.

Adam

This is really nice!

I find when looking at reference photos of locos part colour varies hugely. Even the latest Kiwi rail locos that have the white fern painted on them vary in size greatly between locos even of the same model. Some bits are painted grey while others have the same part painted yellow. In the end I guess you go with what looks best to you. I personally like the black grills best as it breaks up the green a wee bit adding more variety. Just my opinion though.

Anyway, nice job :sweet: