Adamskii

Australian NR class =The Ghan=

Hello, my name is Adam and I live in South Australia.

I have built a Lego train "The Ghan" NR75 (my interpretation anyway). I have tried to conform to a 6 stud wide theme on the Deck. The train lends itself however to an 8 stud wide build but I do not want to deviate from 6 studs.

The proportion of the train is shortened slightly and could of been another 8 - 10 studs long but was becoming miss proportioned due to the lego track gauge. The lettering is done using either a Dymo self adhesive lettering tool, or by having professional vinyl cut letters. The Logo's are cut freehand.

I like to build Australian things, as it is hard to find original Lego subjects to build. Not alot of exposure to our unique vehicles so I try to focus on giving them some. The Ghan train is a rail passenger service that goes back almost a century that crosses the center of Australia north to south, over one of the largest deserts in the world. originally the journey was made by the Afghan Camel trains on foot and the heritage is demonstrated in the vehicle's livery.

This is my first post on Eurobricks, so please let me know if I could improve my posting in any way and forgive my learner ignorance.

I have made a short youtube clip to try and demonstrate the modelling details I tried to accurately replicate, and to demonstrate that a train that long can run freely around a track and negotiate the tight radius!

Thankyou for taking the time to look at my work.

Adam

img_1010.jpg

img_1082.jpg

img_1032.jpg

img_1056.jpg

The Ghan with some other Australian Lego train builds (CK class, 830 class)

img_1008.jpg

You tube clip.

Welcome another South Aussie to EB, and an Aussie themed builder at that. :grin:

Awesome engine with perfect detailing........Brick On 'Adamskii' ! :grin:

Agree with 'Lightning' good to see another South Aussie on EB. Nice work on the Ghan. The other two are also just as amazing. :thumbup:

What a superb MOC! :wub:

I like the real model and the very close copy made with lego!

The details are incredible and the decals amazing.

I'm shocked about how this loco is long ...and this beauty looks wider than only 6 studs, you have done a great work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Only one question: is this loco without a motor? The bogies seem to be made with standard wheels (this is not a problem, I'm just curious)

P.S.

May you share more picture of the other two "yellow-green" locomotives. :sweet:

Thankyou all for the kinds words. Especially about the detailing as the NR class is essentially featureless between the ends!

Some answers to some questions, The train is 6 wide at the deck plate, but with some rails and clips hanging over the edge it is almost 8 wide, hence that appearance. The loco is not powered, squeezing a battery box in a 4 wide is problematic and I wanted more accuracy at the expense of performance. The yellow boxcar in the video is my secret powered car.

The bogeys are standard wheel sets x 3 each. The innermost wheel set is on a tiled slider so it can traverse corners without derailing. It is not hinged. The model is over 55 studs long. The video shows the triple axle bogeys turning the radius without problems.

I will post the two other trains soon - perhaps over the Christmas break.

My next project (January) is to build another NR class but this time in Pacific National livery (blue /gold).

Adam

Welcome to EB, and no one will hold being from SA against you :tongue:

This is an amazing train MOC, you've done a wonderful job capturing the look of the real train. I will echo many others and say the decals are amazing.

Great job all in all, happy building :laugh:

Love the Ghan mate! .....and your other Australian Locos are looking the goods as well. Might have to attempt one myself to add to my collection. Do you have any more pics of the Loco's in the Australian National colours you have built?

Beautiful work there Adamskii, the level of detail that you have put into this model is fantastic and captures the look and style of this locomotive so well, I am quite familiar with the NR Class as I have seen them at work many a time and your model is an excellent representation of the class.

I also quite like your 830 Class Co-Co and again I will say you have done an excellent job in capturing the look of that class, unfortunately I have never got to see the 830 Class in action but I have seen many of its sister class the NSWGR 48 Class at work in a wide variety of liveries including that of the dreaded Pacific National.

This is a great model. I think it would look good pulling the Santa Fe coaches. I bet the loco looks even better in Indian Pacific livery.

Wow, this engine is so detailed, it looks great!

I also like how you made use of all the different parts :thumbup:

Brick on Adamskii :classic:

Really nice decals, as everyone has said. They're great because they're the final touch on a really good build, with vibrant colour and solid attention to detail.

I see you have a thing for Australian diesels. Last weekend I was looking at a couple of locomotives that might interest you, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GM_class_loco-Australian_National.jpg , (the one I saw was GM46, still going strong for an old girl), and the GWA liveried, GT46C as well as some of the older NSW 422 Class. I don't know if that's what you're into but certainly something different and very Australian.

I see you have a thing for Australian diesels. Last weekend I was looking at a couple of locomotives that might interest you, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GM_class_loco-Australian_National.jpg, (the one I saw was GM46, still going strong for an old girl), and the GWA liveried, GT46C as well as some of the older NSW 422 Class. I don't know if that's what you're into but certainly something different and very Australian.

Thankyou for your comments. I do like the diesels, I think Lego lends itself more to diesel shapes than rounded steam shapes. The loco you suggested in the link above has a large bulbous round nose and I don't think can be convincingly replicated in 6 wide Lego. The Superchief for example is I guess nice, but I think is a good example of square bricks doing a bad job or a round surface. The 900 series of trains in Australia is out of the question for me.

As previously stated, next project is a Pac nat NR class. But I also see a pair of characterised Redhens, and then some decent rolling stock. I would like to build maybe a local train platform that has the passenger and freight lines on it so I can display the trains. The Ghan needs some carriages, and in alot of pictures I see the two carriages immediately behind the motive power as double decked car carrier. So, I'm sure I will have more to offer soon.

Adam

The GM class looks a lot like the kind of round nose trains from GM that drove around Europe in the 50ies (http://www.nohab-gm.de/ ). You can find one of these on Railbricks (instructions page). I tried to build my own version in LDD and it doesn't look to shabby using round slopes. If I come around to building them (which I'm definitely planning to do) I'll post them here. Adam, you did encourage me to continue building 6 wide. I often think that building 7 or 8 wide gives better results, but I don't like the enormous bulk these 8 widers give you. Looking forward to christmas. I've got a whole week to spend trying out some building techniques.