niteangel

[ MOC ] General Zod's Attack Ship, from Man of Steel

Many people looked forward to the new Superman movie <Man of Steel>, but were much disappointed when the movie was not something that they expected. However, I think the first part of the movie about Krypton, the home world of Superman, is quite awesome. The organic high-tech kind of design looks very interesting without being too overwhelming or too different from human's world.

Too bad that Lego's Man of Steel series only have the dropship and escape pod, and I think the awesome attack ship by General Zod should also be included. This time, like I did The Bat last time, I bought the movie book to study what this plane really is before starting the brick building. I couldn't believe that it only had one page about this ship, with only this blurry image:

20131208-11.jpg

This type of ship only appears once in the movie, in which General Zod came to Jor-el's place to stop him from sending Superman to Earth. I have trimmed that little bit of the movie, and see if it helps you recall what I am going to show you.

After nearly 2 months I finally completed the model, and it was featured too in the recent Hong Kong Lego exhibition "Bricks Adventure 2013". Now, here is the overall view of what the Man of Steel series should be!

20131208-01.jpg

Close-up of the cockpit. There is no glass, and with the Krypton technology, why do you need to see the outside? Haha! Also, check the guns at the front, which can be adjusted for different angles. They are the weapons blowing off Jor-el's place...

20131208-03.jpg

Inside the cockpit, one Kryptonian can be fitted in.

20131208-04.jpg

The attack ship is basically a bigger dropship, transferring warriors to the battlefield. The center part is empty, and you can fit around 8 soldiers here...

20131208-05.jpg

The most complicated and difficult part is the wings, which is also the prominent feature of this ship. I guess they take the idea from insects. Each side of the wings have 3 members, each can then be rotated to adjust flight position. I fixed the innermost two parts, leaving only 4 of them being adjustable. Also, the 3 members can be opened outwards or packed together.

20131208-06.jpg

The concept for all these rotated blades of engines is for the control of flight direction. If the plane is moving forward, the engines along the blades (green parts) will face backwards. If it needs to slow down, the wings will flip to the front, like this: (you can see that in the clip above too)

20131208-08.jpg

If it needs to stay in the air, the engines (green parts) will face downwards.

This is a shot of the back, which features a pair of engine too. Different rows of engines will be turned on depending on the moving direction of the plane (as you can see in the clip)

20131208-09.jpg

Okay now you know how the wings work. Time to land and find Superman!

20131208-10.jpg

There are quite some design considerations during the development. I decided to keep the same kind of color and form that the original Lego series had set up, but at the same time I had to follow what the movie had designed (the dropship was not completely like the original!). It is quite a struggle. In the movie, there is no green color, but I prefer what Lego did with the green color, since it is what Kryptonite is like in the comics. Also, I keep the details from the dropship: tan base plates, shooting missiles...etc.

The hardest part is the pair of wings. I have redesigned it four times, trying to keep the same design and form but making it lighter so that the hinges can withstand the long blades. Now it is slightly supported too by the top part of the plane, which is okay for now. I may improve it by using some Technic pieces later.

Now everything is set, the Kryptonian war begins!

Edited by niteangel

Wow. This ship has its own but typical kryptonian design. Nice that it was in the same colour as the other ship from LDC. Did you have build it first in LDD?

Do you habe a building instruction?

This is a brilliant MOC design...I loved the organic style and feel of Krypton in the 'Man of Steel' movie. And you have captured it brilliantly in this build!

awesome and not so mainstream like 100th tumbler or sth : ) great angles and colors!

Wow. This ship has its own but typical kryptonian design. Nice that it was in the same colour as the other ship from LDC. Did you have build it first in LDD?

Do you habe a building instruction?

I don't use LDD, and so it was built with trial and error, haha...I don't have the instruction but you can let me know if you would like to know more about some of the details on the ship :)

Thanks everyone :D

I just watched this movie Saturday night for the first time and I would say this is very lifelike to the source material.

Very well done.

I'd almost want to build one of these for myself. I'm trying to think on how to build the creature Jor-El rides early on.

Keep up the great work!

.I loved the organic style and feel of Krypton in the 'Man of Steel' movie. And you have captured it brilliantly in this build!9.gif

Edited by pottstarout

Thanks! It seems that it would look cool to have 3 ships at least to make an army, haha, but I am broke with bricks! :P

I'd almost want to build one of these for myself. I'm trying to think on how to build the creature Jor-El rides early on.

Wow, let me know when you complete it! I also want to see how it looks! :)

Lovely build, and I agree that LEGO missed the boat by not including this as part of their Man of Steel sets. Great job, especially given the blurriness of the source photo.

When I saw this Lego model, kindled my love for these small blocks. The richness of detail and the true replica make this design into something very special. I therefore make the construction plans publicly the author. I really want to recreate this creation, but I have failed it.