Great progress there afol and thanks for the BrickLink recommendations and from Alasdair as well. :classic: Slowly going to gather together all the parts I need to build this monster. Need more panels.

I couldn't help myself:

800x653.jpg

When I am finished with the CAD, I will be curious to see how this would look with an all gray chassis instead of red. I think the red clashes with the rest of the truck a bit. Of course, I have already collected all the chassis parts in red so I'll have to build it that way.

Same here!

It was announced that before starting an instruction work for a Truck part, first discuss it in this thread that Legolintje can coordinate the planning.

Or didn't you have red the thread until now?

Greetings

Alex

Well, I can understand why you're so annoyed, but personally I don't really mind. I enjoy building a digital model :classic:

But, Blakbird, I suppose you haven't stepped it?

I don't know if I want to start stepping something in case that someone decides to do as well,but not telling us first.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

C'mon, no point in throwing a tantrum. Be glad Blakbird is doing this, will save you a lot of time. Plus we get some delicious renders.

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers. I didn't mention it because mine is an independent project. This CAD file is not for building instructions, It has no proper steps and does not have proper submodels for building. I just enjoy virtually building it while I am waiting for the parts to arrive. It gives me a chance to see how things go together and I love figuring out how things work. The project by the rest of you to make instructions should absolutely keep going! Of course anyone is welcome to use any part of my file if you like.

Once you have finished your model I will use that to step instructions,I will gladly leave the LSynthing to you. :blush:

Once you have finished your model I will use that to step instructions,I will gladly leave the LSynthing to you. :blush:

:laugh: :laugh: Have you ever seen how many pf wires this thing has? :tongue:

Although, it's almost a must to include them in the instructions, since there are special routes to place them in the very compact chassis...

I just completed a Rebrickable inventory, shall I post that file?

Did this get posted somewhere?

I found this MOC on youtube shortly after I picked up the 42009 this summer, my return from the dark ages as I have seen it is called, and I'm glad to see that it is now possible to build even though I have a lot of parts inventory catching up to do before it's possible for me.

Keep up the good work guys, I'm enjoying the updates.

Cheers

Epic model, and I love how everyone is able to jump in and generate accurate instructions, computer models and have the thing for real in their own living room in no time. That may seem pretty straight forward to us now, but It's times like this that reminds me how freaking awesome that actually is, as well as this community. With fan created tools such as LDraw, bricklink, Eurobricks and so on I know of nothing else that is as well supported online as Lego, not even close!

Today I drew a box. Doesn't sound very impressive, but it is a very nice box. To put it in perspective, there are 1731 parts in the box compared with 1838 in the entire motorized chassis.

640x386.jpg

With this complete, all I have left to do is the cab. According to LDView, I've got 3611 parts in it so far. When I'm done, I'll compare the parts list from the CAD to the one I already generated from Madoca's photos. It will be interesting to see how close I got.

640x365.jpg

This thing is really enormous. I checked the bouding box in LDView and the total length of this monster is 1807 LDraw units or 90 studs. By way of comparison, Dikkie Klijn's huge tow truck is 105 studs and Designer Han's 10x4 dump truck is 67 studs.

:laugh: :laugh: Have you ever seen how many pf wires this thing has? :tongue:

Although, it's almost a must to include them in the instructions, since there are special routes to place them in the very compact chassis...

I enjoy "virtual building", but I do not enjoy the wire synthesizing. After doing the 100+ wires and tubes in Dikkie's tow truck, I swore I would never put that much work into a CAD file again. So someone else will have to volunteer for that part!

I just completed a Rebrickable inventory, shall I post that file?

Could you send it to me? Want to check if I've got all the necessary parts :)

Finished the CAD file late last night. There are some really weird angles in the roof and windshield, so it was a challenge.

800x450.jpg

Blakbird, could you show us some more pictures of the chassis? This model is very exciting. Usually I don't care about trucks, but I've been staring at the first image you posted for a long time.

Ok then!

Until now, I've all stepped and made submodels and substeps to give possibility to make a lot of callouts. That gives the minimum of instruction pages.

It's still a lot of work to do, but as I see that Blakbird has made the complete model, so I don't now....at the moment I've stopped the work.

@Legolintje & Alsdair, should I continue with the container?

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Right we shall wait for the cad file of Blakbirds work, then we shall transfer the steps you and I have made into his file.

Hi, instruction makers ! Just wanted to let you know that adding steps and submodels to Blakbirds model will be approx the same amount of work compared to building a "stepped" and "submodeled" CAD-file yourself. I've done this before, so I know this from experience.

Personally, I'd love you guys to continue making the instructions fot this beautifull model. Please keep on the good work :thumbup:

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Hi, instruction makers ! Just wanted to let you know that adding steps and submodels to Blakbirds model will be approx the same amount of work compared to building a "stepped" and "submodeled" CAD-file yourself. I've done this before, so I know this from experience.

I was just thinking about it, if it would really make a difference. Maybe building again is even easier, but I don't really have any experience at all, stepping an already built file...