glenbricker

Wayne Manor Modular

DarthKy and I have been working on a modular based on the Wayne Manor and using the Modular footprint in order to restrict the design to a reasonable scale.

We have also tried to fill it with various references from the comics, movies, animations, and the 60's TV show.

10925627646_611009a55e.jpg

11271059073_252a9f8118.jpg

To make the design more fun we have have built it up on four quarter baseplates allowing the design to be opened up.

Batman References

I hope the true Batfans out there will appreciate the various references we have integrated. I have here two images of references followed by their descriptions so if you are of the mind to try to figure these things out on your own, go ahead. I admit, some of them are a bit esoteric.

11218585205_afdf04be19.jpg

11188397976_4c97d49b47.jpg

Image one references

A. Grandfather Clock

A Grandfather Clock is in almost every incarnation of Wayne Manor. In most continuities it is the access to the Batcave as well. In this case, we are not able to use it as the access as a figure is quite broad.

Note that the Clock is set to 10:48. Setting the clock to this time unlocks the entrance and is the time of day the fateful mugging occured.

B. Man of the Year Award

In the Lego Batman 2 Game, Bruce Wayne beats out Lex Luthor for the Man of the Year Award.

C. Painting of Bruce Wayne on a horse with a dog at his side

This is a double reference both to The Dark Knight Returns and Ace the Bat-hound.

Bruce Wayne is rarely seen with horses, but he does have horses in The Dark Knight Returns which grants Batman a significant advantage at a critical point in the story. So this is a just a subtle reference to one of Batman's epic tales.

Ace the Bat-hound is, as the name implies, is a dog who aids Batman. He originated in the 1950s but did not transition the Crisis. He has re-appeared in Batman Beyond, Krypto the Super Dog, and Batman: Brave and the Bold.

D. Armor and Sword Display

We have based this build off of a display in the 1989 Batman movie by Tim Burton. Hopefully the picture speaks for itself.

11218632614_37a7fb5af1.jpg

E. The "Waynes"

Of course everyone has their favorite Robin. We have tried to include an acceptable presentation of each in this wall portrait.

The line up from Left to Right: Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne, Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, and Alfred Pennyworth. It does not play though 100% but I tried to make the ties and kerchiefs color compatible with the super hero personas.

11218644345_9818fcabce.jpg

The above image was generated using Mini Mi as a base followed up with photoshopping.

Image Two References

A. & B. Gray Ghost Fedora and Action Figure

Batman the Animated Season 1 Episode 18 "Beware the Gray Ghost" is one of the greatest episodes of the any Batman cartoon.

. It introduces a childhood hero of Bruce Wayne, the Gray Ghost who is voiced by none other than Adam West. It also includes voicing by Bruce Timm, the series co-creator.

11271051323_c8551cd124.jpg Batman's Gray Ghost Collection

To further expand the significance of the Gray Ghost to all things Batman, the Fedora re-appears in Batman Beyond, utilized by Bruce Wayne as an impromptu disguise when Inque catches a ride to the Batcave...That's right, we even have a Batman Beyond reference.

11270941015_676deb16f2.jpg Bruce Wayne dons the Gray Ghost Fedora as an impromptu disguise

C. A Foil

The Wayne's are returning form "Mask of Zorro" on that fateful night. Zorro is also one of Bob Kane's inspirations in the creation of Batman.

D. & E. A Book of Gotham Nursery Rhymes and Blueprints to Building by the Alan Wayne Trust

These are references to the Court of Owls.

F. Shakespeare Bust

A Shakespeare Bust with a "pez action" head conceals the button that opens the Batcave in the original television series.

G. Man of the Year Award

In the Lego Batman 2 Game, Bruce Wayne beats out Lex Luthor for the Man of the Year Award.

(I realize I mention this twice. I will update the picture to get rid of it shortly)

H. Detective Comics #27 in Plastic Case

The issue that introduces Batman to the world!

The Batcave

Our Batcave design is much more conservative than most you see:

thumb640x360.png

thumb640x360.png

The "left" quarter of the batcave is dedicated to Batman's infamous trophies:

The T-rex

The Joker Card

The Giant Penny

Mr. Freeze's gun

Green Kryptonite

the "right" quarter of the batcave showcases Batman's equipment including a chamber for his suit.

It you like the design please consider giving your support to our Cuusoo project. We realize the scale is a bit...impressive, and the license is, of course, in play, but we would sure like to get this concept to review regardless of production possibilities.

Edited by glenbricker

I supported this as soon as I saw it! It's a positively gorgeous design, and unlike many Wayne Manor models I've seen, it's got a massive amount of detail that keeps it from being boring compared to the Batcave that lies beneath it. The Batcave itself is amazing as well, packing in plenty of detail without ever feeling cluttered.

I don't know what your chances of passing review are (it'd depend on whether people value it according to what it's really worth, whether the terms of Lego's license with DC allow it, and numerous other factors). But there's never any harm in supporting, and I for one would buy this in a heartbeat if it were available. Good luck!

Fantastic job! :thumbup:

I'm not the biggest Batman fan out there, but I'll definitely have to log in to my Cuusoo to support this one. Not only is it extremely detailed, but I could definitely see LEGO making this around a $250 price point if this gets the sufficient amount of supporters. I just hope licensing conflicts don't occur. The quarter-opening play function is creative and will makes this set so fun to play with! Alas, I love set that have references, and this concept is full of awesome Batman references. :sweet:

Do you have instructions? Do you build to order? This is great. I would love one whether or not it gets supported on Cuusoo!

Do you have instructions? Do you build to order? This is great. I would love one whether or not it gets supported on Cuusoo!

We don't have any formal instructions yet and we are going to wait for review to decide on how to approach that subject. As for build to order, I will have to ask DarthKy about that. He is building this IRL so he might have something to say on the subject.

OMG!

This is awesome! A proper lego-set. I totally see this happening. Cool to see a variation of the dollhouse-style opening. That really works well it seems. I really wanna see some more pics though... ;-)

(And now I really want to build a celler like you did for my haunted house...)

This is beautiful. When I saw it on brickset a while ago I immediately supported it. I would definitely like to have something like this, but I don't see it getting made because of size and cost. But I still want one! I love the mansion details and the way the native is incorporated into it. I have considered creating my own like this but with my own touch. I think I will do the haunted house style instead of the quarter opening style.

Best of luck!

A really great idea. I love the many Bat-references, and the design is fantastic - it manages to capture so many of the iconic aspects of Wayne Manor and the Batcave whilst being of a manageable scale and - if it is eventually realised - a manageable cost. I have no idea if it could make it through Cuusoo, but even if it doesn't it's a design to be really proud of. Well done both of you.

All the details and refrences to Batman lore really make this a stand out MOC. The quarter opening dollhouse design alone makes this a noteworthy work of art. Although the ground level Batcave would make it an impractical modular, it's just perfect for what you were trying to achieve here, I think. Together or seperate, people would pay a lot of money for something like this. I love it! :sweet:

I've already supported this on Cuusoo but wanted to say again how amazing this design is!

I am very dissapointed that it won't be an official set. This model is one of the sets i like to build most.

Is it possible to get an instruction later on? It would be great, because the official sets get boring after some time and your kind of model is the kind i am looking for.

Is there still a chance that this could be made, fingers crossed, its awesome. I am so disappointed they didn't pick this. They can keep the Wall-E and Dr Who sets.

Is there still a chance that this could be made, fingers crossed, its awesome. I am so disappointed they didn't pick this. They can keep the Wall-E and Dr Who sets.

Not as a LEGO Ideas set but there's still a chance we might see something similar in size to the Arkham Asylum set in the DC Super Heroes theme.

I only saw today that this didn't get approved.

megablocking gutted!

I really wanted this to go through... If you ever have the list of bricks, I would be very interested in making one of these still.

A huge 'Thank you' to everyone who has supported this project.

While it was very disappointing to see it was not picked to be produced, we knew it was a long shot for ideas to do a project of this scale.

We will continue to work on more exciting new projects in the future that we hope you will enjoy.

Thanks again and happy building. :)

-DarthKy