Hi, it's actually my first post in this forum as I mostly build digitally in LDD and unfortunately Technic and LDD don't go to well together. However, I've recently come across an announcement about a competition held at Rebrickable. Each contestant should build his own alternative model of one of five sets. Incidentally I happened to own one - a 42004 Mini Backhoe. So I got right to building, and even though my first attempt was a failure, the second one turned out pretty well. I am sorry about using LDD screenshots, I don't have a camera, but what I do have is an .lxf of my MOC :classic:

11303036636_b7404580da_o.png

11303103513_4170f8fda6_o.png

Comments are welcome)

Edited by imvanya

Very nice!

I'm working on a small review for this set. I might build this model and include it in my review.

Very nice!

I'm working on a small review for this set. I might build this model and include it in my review.

Wow, thanks a lot, I would be really humbled, 'Jim'!

Saw this on rebrickable yesterday, really like it! I agree with DLuders and Rishab N, great idea for a spoiler!

I love the spoiler, and the steering mechanism is really cool and original, I love it! :wub:

I have finished building the A-model. Maybe I will try this C-model tomorrow.

I have built the buggy. I must say I really like it.

However, there's a fundamental design flaw. Typically a problem you can oversee when building in LDD. Any of you guys see what I mean?

There's also a "hidden" (intentional or not?) feature in this model. Take a guess...

I will make some pictures tomorrow!!

There's also a "hidden" (intentional or not?) feature in this model. Take a guess...

manually adjustable spoiler?

I have built the buggy. I must say I really like it.

However, there's a fundamental design flaw. Typically a problem you can oversee when building in LDD. Any of you guys see what I mean?

I will make some pictures tomorrow!!

I think I know both the flaw and the feature as I actually have it built :classic: I used a screenshot not to scare people away with terrible image quality :laugh:

I think I know both the flaw and the feature as I actually have it built :classic: I used a screenshot not to scare people away with terrible image quality :laugh:

:laugh:

The flaw might be fixable.

I will make some decent pictures for you tomorrow. Afterwards I will see what I can do about the flaw.

I do like the feature :thumbup::sweet:

Is the flaw the steering? Looking at the pictures again, it looks like it won't move.

It does move, but you are close :wink:

:laugh:

The flaw might be fixable.

I will make some decent pictures for you tomorrow. Afterwards I will see what I can do about the flaw.

I do like the feature :thumbup::sweet:

It does move, but you are close :wink:

Yeah, now i am sure I know the flaw :blush: I've just fixed it, it's not too pretty, but it works the way it was supposed to

Yeah, now i am sure I know the flaw :blush: I've just fixed it, it's not too pretty, but it works the way it was supposed to

Let me try to fix it as well, so we can compare solutions tomorrow!

I will make pictures of both the original design and the fixed one.

Let me try to fix it as well, so we can compare solutions tomorrow!

I will make pictures of both the original design and the fixed one.

I'll upload mine tomorrow as well, maybe I'll come up with something more elegant by then. Anyway, thanks to all of you guys and 'Jim' personally. I didn't expect to get so much feedback and nice comments, this really inspires me to maybe focus a bit more on Technic :classic:

manually adjustable spoiler?

Nope, the spoiler is fixed!

I did come up with something more elegant, but had to use both of the spare bushes - a standard gray one and a yellow half-bush. It looks like this (terrible photo incoming):

11303062384_9b177fcb8a_o.jpg

It is probably not clear at all, so here's a screenshot of the steering mechanism:

11303689424_91353f102d_c.jpg

Now you can guess what the fault was :classic:

Actually that's a pretty nice solution. Using a "wider" steer does enhance the playability.

I was thinking a bit differently, but I like this one!

I will implement your changes and make some nice pictures tonight.

It occurred to me that using this part instead of a spare bush would be even better:

11306717766_e1d8cd5b03_c.jpg

To tell the truth, I've never spent so much time modifying a MOC, but I really enjoy it!

That is indeed a better solution.

Since I spoke to Nathanael Kuijpers at Legoworld I was planning on doing some C-models myself. They are great fun, since you have limited parts to work with, so you need to be really inventive. I will definitely try to organize a C-Model Theme Month or Contests. Some people are really good at this!

Sorry to interrupt the Jim and Imvanya blether thread,but I just wanted to say that your use of the bucket for the spoiler is a "interesting" use.

I will guess the wheels turned to far or came into contact with the rest of the model.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Sorry to interrupt the Jim and Imvanya blether thread,but I just wanted to say that your use of the bucket for the spoiler is a "interesting" use.

I will guess the wheels turned to far or came into contact with the rest of the model.

I wanted to keep at least one of the buckets in the MOC, and for some reason a spoiler was the first thing that occurred to me

I have made the modifications and here are the results. I have done minimal photo editing, so the backgrounds are a little gray. All images can be clicked for hi res version (on my flickr page there are also uber hi res versions.

@Imvanya: feel free to use them! However, make sure it's allowed to use pictures taken by someone else in a contest.

11311500606_99124fe2bb_c.jpg

11311458215_53a6b2b268_c.jpg

11311461235_ca42c19d71_c.jpg

11311507706_eb0054ed93_c.jpg

11311543994_729cbe5217_c.jpg

PS I do have some more pictures if you are interested!

Nooooo, I missed the 8T gear on the roof :((

I can correct this and make some new pictures!

11311543994_729cbe5217_c.jpg

Wow, it looks really great with the new wheels. Thanks for sharing the pictures, 'Jim', much appreciated! These are infinitely better than screenshots or webcam pictures :laugh: