imvanya

[LDD MOCs] imvanya's sports cars

Thanks @koalayummies! I wanted to use the studshooter rear lights for quite a while, they looked like something that could replicate the round supercar taillights. I can’t take credit for the snowboard spoiler, I’ve seen them in quite a few MOCs, and TLG used it in the Speed Champions McLaren P1.

Thanks @ColletArrow! It was one of those times when I was like “Hmm, these parts look like they would fit together”, and they did!

Edited by imvanya

@CodyCorvetteZR1, welcome to Eurobricks!

Thank for sharing your MOC, it looks pretty cool. I really like the color scheme, it does remind me of Viper GTS. If you have more MOCs, please share them as well!

That said, I originally created this topic to share my personal MOCs, but apparently it never occurred to me that the name of the topic is too generic. I should probably change it at least to "My sports cars" :classic:

So, if you plan on staying at Eurobricks, I would recommend creating a topic for your MOCs so that it's easier for people to find them. Just remember to give it a good name :wink: And you should definitely stick around - there are tons of cool MOCs here, and folks are very friendly and supportive. From my own experience I can tell you that with all the inspiration and comments you will very soon learn some cool new techniques, and you will see your MOCs evolve and improve with every new one.

Once again, welcome to Eurobricks! 

Edited by imvanya

Another few months have passed, and I finally completed another MOC.

I am still experimenting with brick-built canopies, this time I ended up using ninja swords among other things. Once I used another ninja-related piece - ice cream scoop that was used by Lloyd of Ninjago fame in one of the sets - it became obvious that the car had to be something Japanese.

So, here is Tsuba:

Tsuba 001Tsuba 002

You can download the .lxf here (a few parts are missing), the model is also available at Mecabricks here. As usual, comments and critique are welcome!

UPD: Building instructions are also now available on Bricksafe.

Edited by imvanya

I love the latest one! I was interested to tryout the new Stud.io instruction maker so I have made up another set of instructions but I have not built it in the brick yet. I have the parts but no time. The only part swap was to make the tail lights trans-orange instead of trans red. 

Here is a render using the new photorealistic render function is Stud.io 2.0
PxBHPcH.png

I have moved all the files I have previously shared to my bricksafe as I was not comfortable using my personal drop box. 

The 4 older ones and the new Speedster model can be found here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/supertruper1988/imvanya

@supertruper1988, thanks for sharing the instructions!

I have actually thought of a more "buildable" solution for the rear end to avoid using the trans orange parts, but keep the look interesting. The 1x6 tile can be replaced with a 1x6 plate (the 4x1 bows allow a 1/2 stud offset) and 1x1 Trans-red round tiles may be used as tail lights:

Speedster 003

Edited by imvanya
Image added

Decided to update one of my older cars, the Muscle car. The one thing that's been bugging me all this time was the emptiness of the front grille. Now I've finally come up with a solution for it that I am happy with:

Muscle car 003

At least now it looks like something that a front grille design could look like. Anyway, the links for the files are available in the original post at the link above.

Yet again it took me almost 6 month since the last MOC to complete a new one. The excuse I make for myself is that there are a few tricky techniques used to get the shape of some elements right, but I guess that's just another way of saying that I am overcomplicating things :laugh:

Today I would like to present to you Kaiju:

39797048803_c7f534e3e4_o.png

32886891848_dc10e2652c_o.png

This started as a mod/update for an older MOC - JDM, but in the end I would say that the only thing that they have in common is the prototype. I am very happy with the solutions for the side vents and the rear lights. Admittedly, the lights have some parts just slotted between other parts, but they seem to be secured pretty well. Another fiddly part is the connection of the rear section to the rest of the build. The new bracket piece came in very handy indeed.

Here's a link to the MOC on Mecabricks and an LDD model. As a final note, a disclaimer for those who may try to build it IRL: I don't know how sturdy this is if it is at all, but I will appreciate it if you let me know :wink:

Comments and critique are welcome!

Edited by imvanya

On 7/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, imvanya said:

I am still experimenting with brick-built canopies, this time I ended up using ninja swords among other things. Once I used another ninja-related piece - ice cream scoop that was used by Lloyd of Ninjago fame in one of the sets - it became obvious that the car had to be something Japanese.

So, here is Tsuba:

You can download the .lxf here (a few parts are missing), the model is also available at Mecabricks here. As usual, comments and critique are welcome!

This is my favorite, looks great. The ninja swords stick out a bit though, I think a more generic rod shape would be better

On 1/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, Merlict said:

This is my favorite, looks great. The ninja swords stick out a bit though, I think a more generic rod shape would be better

Thank you 'Merlict'! I like the swords because they have that slight bend to them, and they also contribute to the Japanese theme of the build. That said, the rigid hoses might work.

Edited by imvanya

On 6/18/2019 at 8:14 PM, ThatGuyWhoBuilds said:

Imvanya your mocs are amazing! If you don't mind me asking, what program do you use to render these?

Thank you for the kind words 'ThatGuyWhoBuilds'! For a while now, I've been using Mecabricks to do the rendering. One thing to keep in mind: if you only have experience with building in Lego Digital Designer, it may take some time (very little, actually) to figure out how it works in Mecabricks. Overall, it is an amazing service that is constantly getting better, and the rendering is very easy to do, very quick and very good.

I would also recommend this thread by @Scrubs , the developer behind Mecabricks, to get a better idea of what it can offer: 

Edited by imvanya

Here I am resurrecting this topic again after another long break.

I recently started topic [LDD MOCs] [LEGO Ideas Contest] imvanya's city cars for non-sports cars (a delivery truck and a taxi) I built for the LEGO Ideas "BUILD A VINTAGE CAR TO CRUISE THE STREETS OF LEGO® MODULAR BUILDINGS!" contest. I was quite sure I would not manage to build another one – and yet I somehow did exactly that in a matter of 2 days. Since it is more similar to the cars featured in this topic. I though I would post them here.

There are a lot of really cool entries in the contest, including several convertibles. The idea of a City-scale convertible has been intriguing me for some time, so I decided to finally take a shot at it. My main goal was to make it functional but as incospicuous as possible. I would like to believe I succeeded at it, though the folding is pretty puch the only feature of the car.

49077651152_625c174397_z.jpg

49077651112_67cbe4363c_z.jpg

49077650972_395068ba46_z.jpg

49076916743_cfc47c8f19_z.jpg

The dark bluish gray color is the result of Bricklink research to see in what colors the parts are available. DISCLAIMERS:

• the assembly of the rear wheel arches appears quite fragile, though Stud.io stability check claims it is robust :shrug_oh_well:
  • the roof does not line up perfectly with the windshield when unfolded, but I think it is close enough.

Anyway. comments and critique are welcome as usual. The model is available at Mecabricks, or you can download an .lxf file (red parts are what's missing in LDD and should be replaced).

Edited by imvanya

Another car for my collection – Slingshot. It started with 16968 which I wanted to use as the grille, and then I also added 215 to the roster. The hood could be less thick, but I think it still looks OK. The rear section was quite tricky, the new 41682 bracket proved very handy once again.

49138098176_8a686680a5_z.jpg

49137602113_42d4e679a0_z.jpg

The model is available at Mecabricks here, and you can download an .lxf file here. Looking forward to your comments and critique!

Edited by imvanya

Something new I decided to try – building instructions created in Stud.io. You can get a PDF with instructions for my latest model Slingshot here.

Edited by imvanya

Haven't been feeling like building lately, but yesterday I just opened Mecabricks and went for it. Spent the whole evening and a good chunk of the morning with this one. Overall, I am happy with how it came out, I also got to use the idea I had for the rear lights built with 32828 and Trans-Red 36451a. There are a few upside-down assemblies that look good, but may or may not work IRL, and I am not entirely happy with the front.

49977190131_bbe0b84414_z.jpg

49976676203_56c6627bf5_z.jpg

The model is available on Mecabricks. All parts are available in the colors I used, though I did not check if there were any rare ones.

UPD: Browsed some of the LEGO car groups on Flickr and got enough inspiration to rework the front for a more supercar look. I think it suits it much better.

49980049636_19d115c24d_z.jpg

UPD2: Decided to add a render of the rear with a clearer view of the rear lights:

49983943397_fe066333ca_z.jpg

Edited by imvanya

Since I got a hang of creating instructions in Stud.io, I thought that while I am in between MOCs I could create a couple of instructions. There is an index of all cars I built in the first post, so if you would like to have instructions for any one of them made, let me now.

I have already done instructions for the last two (Slingshot and Meteora), they are available on my Bricksafe. Also, @supertruper1988 kindly created and shared instructions for a few more:

On 7/26/2018 at 6:04 AM, supertruper1988 said:

I have moved all the files I have previously shared to my bricksafe as I was not comfortable using my personal drop box. 

The 4 older ones and the new Speedster model can be found here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/supertruper1988/imvanya

Edited by imvanya