DrJB

Sets you have not opened yet ... and why?

Town Plan (10184): I want to display it somewhere nice/semi-permanently so it will probably sit gathering dust until I get a LEGO room.

Ferris Wheel (4857): Got it on a crazy discount, never really wanted to build it but the electric motor adds so much weight for shipping I cannot sell it.

Airport (I think it is 7894 from 2006): another good deal waiting for a LEGO room display area that can accommodate it.

Advent calendars. Wondering if I should open the packettes and start building or keep them for another time?

Picture22222_zps8337f0b8.jpg

Helm's Deep

Tower of Orthanc

Ewok Village

Battle of Endor

I simply don't have the room to properly display these sets. I'm hoping to have a dedicated Lego room at some point, but that would require moving so it's in the distant future. Also, my young step kids will most definitely want to help build. Call me greedy, but these I bought for my leisurely building enjoyment. I love building with the kids, but it's mostly me watching and them building :classic: We build 99% of our sets together, I'm saving these for me on a rainy day.

UCS Imperial Shuttle 10212, I both 2 of these and I hope to trade one against set 10195

Btw, if a person was diversified, the 2008 didn't mean a whole lot in your long term planning. Sure, I saw my stocks and mutual funds go down, but they've all more than rebounded. I know some people who sold at the bottom and they did get hurt. Had they rode out the storm, they would have had gains by now. Instead,they chose to lock in their losses.

Others had no choice ... I had to switch jobs, move, and sell my house in 2008 ... not happy as I took a big hit, but ok, others ended up losing their jobs. I'm grateful for what I still have though.

Edited by DrJB

For decades I opened every set almost immediately. Then one day in 1996 I got the Forestmen's Dark Fortress on clearance and for whatever reason, I did not put it together. To this day it remains sealed, but I've promised myself I'll open it before it turns twenty.

Nowadays I'm not always able to build everything I buy- I'm backed up quite a bit. I tore right into all the AOTC sets, but my Ewok Village is still sealed. I wasted no time building Orthanc, but haven't done Weathertop or Mines of Moria yet. And I have all the new Hobbit sets unopened as well as the two preview sets. I will do the Hobbit sets as soon as I see the movie!

5998 Vladek x16, haven't needed a bunch Scorpion soldiers to MOC with yet; 6865, 6866, 6567, 30166, 30167, 76000, 76001, 76004, 76006, 76008, 76009, waiting for a rainy day to open all my Superheros sets; 30053, 30057, 30185, 30225, 70401, 70704, 70705, haven't gotten around to them; 30240 Z-95 Headhunter, don't need to open it since I already have one; 5001621 Hoth Han Solo, want to keep it sealed and mint; 10227 B-Wing, haven't decided if I want to sell it online, to my brother, or keep it sealed for while since I got it on May the 4th for 50% off; and a few CMFs I haven't felt like opening yet.

Edited by The_Creator

only 2 items. a 3-in-1 mini since I haven't had time to open it. And a witch polybag I got about a month and a half ago since I knew I'd want a second one and knew the odds of me getting there for clearance were against me(I was right).

I have quite a few smaller sets in unopened boxes/polybags for the spare parts.

The oldest unopened one I have is the 1997 Shark Attack, set 6599-1 http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6599-1 . I bought it about 10 years ago when I was building up my undersea world. I had bought the same sharks that are in that set on Ebay but as they were described as "used", I wasn't sure they would be in good condition. Before they arrived in the post, a mint-in-box 6599-1 came up for sale on Ebay that I managed to get for a surprisingly reasonable price. It turns out that the used sharks were in very good condition, so I never needed the 6599-1 set. :classic:

I own three unopened sets. These are sets that I had already bought and build, and thoughts were amazing. Initially I had bought second copies to use them for parts, but so far I have not needed them.

Oh and the sets are Helm s deep, Uruk Hai army and Weather top.

19 Uruk Armies. I got them for 5 bucks each and really haven't decided what I want to do with them.

Monster fighters sets castle and train because I got them as doubles on a really good clearance. Plus the zombies set I can't bring myself to open for no good reason besides it seems uncommon now.

The UCS B-wing. Lets face it...who doesn't have one.... Might end up as the coolest Christmas gift to some random person this year in toys for tots.

I still have almost all the "free" sets Lego gave out with purchase this year... As none have them have been castle theme ish.

19 Uruk Armies. I got them for 5 bucks each and really haven't decided what I want to do with them.

How did you score that deal? I've barely seen them go on sale at all.

^I agree. I've seen them for as low as $20 before, but never below that. Per someone in my LUG, he claims he found Helm's Deep for $25 on clearance...which I've never seen lower than $90...

Either way, I have Tower Bridge, UCS B-Wing and then my upcoming Christmas sets. I mainly open a lot for the figures, then I don't build the set for a really long time (if ever).

Most of the lack of building is due to no time, but some sets I don't have motivation to build anyway, so they just sit in their box until I decide to part them out into my sorted collection.

I got a sealed Elrond LOTR polybag and a sealed Voodoo Jack POTC polybag. Both times I preordered for a handheld and a console so I didn't open the extras. Thinking about selling Elrond, Jack I'm hoping to sell when POTC 5 comes out.

Edited by Tolkien

I have Fire Brigade 10197, Apple Tree House 5891, Grand Emporium 10211, Pet Shop 10218, Farnsworth House 21009, Jabba's Palace 9516, Haunted House 10228 and Family House 31012. Some are under the Christmas Tree,some are not, and all but JB were gifts that I gave to myself this month. All but JB will be opened, one by one, after Xmas, and assembled, probably by my daughters, with my help, if needed. I don't like Jabba's Palace, I bought it several months ago by mistake. I will wait as many years as necessary to see its value at least match what I paid (retail price) and then get rid of it at ebay. I hope it doesn't take too long specially now that it is sold out at Lego Store and I hope it never comes back.

Edited by Vee

Anything I have not opened yet is due to lack of time or display space. I am also in the middle of redoing my room and drawers for sorting out bricks. It shall be a little while longer before I can peacefully sit down to build something. :sad:

Lately I've not had time to build all my sets so I take out the minifigures and put them in the closet for the future.

I've finally become so backlogged that now my latest LotR sets (Dol Gurwhatever and Helms Deep) are in that same closet completely unopened. I might have reached my Lego limit for the time being.

Also my probably move from the US to UK is making me wonder how the fudge I'm going to get them over there (and worry about them being lost in shipping!) which is making me kind of mess with my Lego less and less. Plus I've run out of room to display things as even though I make good money and am 28 I still live with my parents (no rent ;p) so I have just one room to use.

Edited by BrickG

I have four Star Wars sets I never opened. The original Tie Fighter, second version of the Snow Speeder, the original droid fighter and Watto's Junkyard. The first three sets were duplicates that I just never bothered to open. Watto's Junkyard I just forgot about when I went to Uni. My policy is to open my sets. It's Lego and it for me is meant to be built. :sweet: I so far haven't gotten into buying for the sake of investments. Maybe in the future when I am flush with cash till then open'em up and have fun!

with this christmas I reached a huge collection of unopened sets waiting to be built. the reason is that I have moved house and I'm waiting for the new lego room to be ready.

among them there are UCS millennium falcon, UCS super star destroyer, UCS imperial shuttle, sandcrawler, death star, new jabba palace, rancor pit, some more sw stes, the full prince of persia theme, the full harry potter 2010 theme, half of indy sets, all the pharaoh's quest sets, all 2009 pirates sets, all the lotr and the hobbit sets, sydney opera house, grand carousel, tower bridge, palace cinema, town hall, pet's shop, grand emporium, town plan, shuttle adventure, all the 1996/1997 western sets, emerald night, maersk train, horizon express, santa fe super chief, bnsf loco, cargo train, and some that I don't recall now... will definatly need some spare time!

Only have one set unopened set, 6765 Gold City Junction. To be honest I dont't know why I bought it, I guess because it's quite a rare set when still unopened, and I couldn't resist not to buy it. But know I'm thinking of selling it again because I need the extra money for some parts. Don't know yet, maybe I'll wait a few months (hard to decide)

My 31009 Small Cottage and 10232 Palace Cinema I bought for Christmas. I haven't opened them yet because I'm at Singapore for the holiday season. Probably have to wait I go back home because it will take too much time and hassle to dismantle and repack them back in the box for the flight back to Indonesia.