Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 6260 Shipwreck Island

On a scale of 1 to 5  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 1 - Terrible

Dammit... Why can't that ever be a reality for me! I'm going to have to go to Europe!

Yes, Mr. Phes, you're been long enough on our penal colony.

You can come home now X-D

Your penal colony? I wasn't aware the Beligans had one down south...

I was in a European mood when I wrote that :-D

The Belgians only had Congo as a colony.

You're the wrong kind of European to be writing to that lad X-D If you were from the UK on the other hand... Quick! Lock Mr Norro up.

You're the wrong kind of European to be writing to that lad X-D If you were from the UK on the other hand... Quick! Lock Mr Norro up.

Actually it was the Dutch who founded New York city, so it is partly my penal colony and yes, I am the right kind of European to writing it! :-D

Errr... What do the Dutch founding New York city got to do with anything? Ummm... Nevermind...

Have this unreleased picture instead

silhouette.jpg

The greater forces at work have changed your vote Mr Bonaparte!

So does anybody besides me actually OWN this set?

Yes, I owns it, and I like it :)

Out of curiosity... What did you rate it Mr Wout?

Final round of comments before this thread is moved to the Review Sub-Forum. Next pictorial review coming soon.

I gave it a 4, mostly for parts.

I don't own it yet. I'd like to pick up several, one to build as is and a couple for a shipwreck experiment. I'd like to put two of the baseplates together and 'wreck' a ship between them. Then gradually modify it into a small pirate base mostly consisting of wrecked ship expanded onto the small amount of available land.

If not that, I'd at least like to use a few for small vignettes of treasure burial or castaway pirates.

Maybe a combination of it and Forbidden Island with a little bridge leading over and a watchtower.

Seems like lots of possibilities, with the right additions.

I own this set... Bought it in early 1990's. I give it a 3 - it has a lot of useful accesories, but the construction itself is not that good... Although when I was young I liked the treasure hiding place very much - I liked the fact that it had arches and fit the treasure chest really well.

The baseplate has a good potential for using in MOCs, if used cleverly.

then there's the tree and the rare bird, if i'm not mistaken, a colored bird is so much more valuable than the all reds...

Are there any all red birds in the Pirate theme or in any other themes? Never heard of them. I don't think the colourful parrot is rare, I have quite a lot of them :)

Are there any all red birds in the Pirate theme or in any other themes? Never heard of them. I don't think the colourful parrot is rare, I have quite a lot of them :)

According to Peeron, 47 sets include the red printed parrot, though that includes both US and Euro versions of the same set in some cases.

As for the regular unprinted bird ...

* Black - 1 in 1 set.

* DkStone - 9 in 3 sets.

* LtGreen - 2 in 2 sets.

* MdBlue - 2 in 2 sets.

* MdGreen - 2 in 2 sets.

* OldBrown - 2 in 2 sets.

* OldDkGray - 41 in 30 sets.

* Pink - 3 in 3 sets.

* Red - 9 in 3 sets.

* Yellow - 5 in 3 sets.

Most of the plain red ones being in the two versions of Fort Legoredo.

From memory I have DkStone, MdBlue, OldDkGray, Pink and Yellow, plus the standard Parrot. I'll have to bricklink the rest (LtGreen was only in a couple of 4+ Pirates *shudders*)

Out of curiosity... What did you rate it Mr Wout?

I tought I gave a 4 or a 5. This set is :)

As far as I know all SYSTEM Pirate sets came with the red printed parrots - there was never a doubt in my mind about that, but from the information Mr Imperial Shadows has provided there were 3 sets which contain the non printed parrots, so aside from Fort Legorado what other set(s) had them?

I prefer the printed parrots anyway...

According to peeron, the other two sets are Fort Legoredo Re-release and this set.

So, in fact the printed parrots are more common than the all-red ones.

As far as I know all SYSTEM Pirate sets came with the red printed parrots

What about Caribbean Clipper's figurehead? *sweet*

I have quite a few of these printed parrots, I also have 2 or 3 yellow birds from the CC, and I once had a dark gray one from this set, but I lost it somehow a few years ago...

5 of 5! This was the set that really hooked me into the pirates line. I couldn't afford many larger sets than this at the time. The base plate alone is great because it has a natural asymetrical design unlike the larger flat island baseplate. The parrot and monkey are always a plus. I also love the half barrel part wich doubles as a crows nest.

I don't remember if the U.S. release had a spring triggered cannon or not, but I think it was, and that's huge point in it's favor.

I still cherish the parts of this set esp. that islet baseplate.

I gave it a 2. I don't own it but I have all the parts to create one. Well, yhis is a good start set for someone who has no pirates figures and who wants to have one or two without spending too much money, but for a collector who already has the BSB or something like that, this set is useless (except if the collector really wants a special element like the crow nest for instance).

Moreover, in Europe, the situation was different than in the US and all cannons featured firing actions, so this is not a + for the set.

This is one of my favorite pirate sets. It is simple elegant and has enough elements and parts to make a respectable pirate island. I'm especially fond of the island baseplate. Sure its a little pricey for the piece count, but still with all the stuff (parrot, monkey, shooting cannon (mine came with one), two pirates, barrell, palm tree, treasure chest) its still a great set.

Steve

Shipwreck Island and the Bomber Sentry were my very first two sets ever!

I know Shipwreck Island is a little cramped... the fact that one of the pirates seems to eat, sleep and do God knows what else in his floating digs should prove this. The monkey and the parrot are likely to be at each other's throats just as much the two pirates themselves. The entire set reminds me of half the rooms I've rented out in shared houses. All that having been said I always feel a strong pang of nostalgia for what was the beginning of my collection so I just can't bring myself to call it terrible.

And being as it's only two feral drongo pirates who smell like mouldy old weavil infested biscuits who cares if they are cramped! Only Imperial forces deserve better accomodation. :-P

Just in case anyone is wondering what's why the first dozen posts of this thread are different, it's because I've merged two threads together. They were piratically the same thing so there was no point having both.

Though I assume nobody will really notice.

4 from me.

The main things that bump it up are the brown palm tree leaf connector thing and the tub - excellent!

Edit: Looking back now, I see that the treasure is actually "hidden" in that nice little hole - this set actually looks fantastic to me now: The 2 pirates are shipwrecked - one grabs an oar, the other a barrel and they swim to the nearby island, that was once an Imperial outpost, hence the cannon and ruined structures. One takes off his shirt to call for help, whilst the other explores! Lo! What's this? Blackbeard's treasuer, no less! Now the pirates must escape with the treasure - do they repair the tub and paddle away? But there's only room for one - I see a fight! Or do they do a Jack Sparrow and hold on to a firing cannon ball - now that could work! They could load the cannon and then pour the gold down the barrel and then fire it to freedom and chase after it.

SlyOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

I remember I got this set when I was really young. Back then, I like it very much, altough I was disappointed how small it is (as I always wanted the most biggest sets). But still this is great memory from my childhood

Now as an adult it ofcourse seems even more smaller. I think that treasure chest is way too near the water,not really realistic. And that flag above the cannoon is placed way too high. It makes me wonder, should I rate sets as with eyes of an adult or child...

This time, I'll go with the latter. 5 Stars :pir_yoda:

Edited by Antsa Antero

I finally added this set to my collection today. I rated it 4/5. The original Pirate sets from 1989-91 were so unique and ahead of their time in my opinion. Maybe my judgement is tainted by nostalgia? But either way I am really pleased to have finally acquired this set and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of "Forbidden Island" and "Lagoon Lock-Up" in the mail!