Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[L&DiK] C1 - The Big Day

Garidas was born in one of the poorest districts of Barqa. While he has his fair share of thievery in his background, his dream has always been to one day join the ranks of the Barqan city guard. This force acts both as the constabulary of Barqa and as a standing army fiercely loyal to its city council. As many other Kaliphlin soldiers, they are recognized by the characteristic spiked helmets. Their uniform is also similar to that of many other official forces in Kaliphlin. The plume is awarded after a guard's first full period of duty, and the blue arms of the senior guardsmen mark them as first-class soldiers which the new recruits and junior guards still have a lot to prove before they earn.

While not always the weapon they carry in everyday duty, the gladius is the traditional weapon of the Barqan soldiers and the symbol of their duty. A guardsman will keep his gladius in a spotless condition, and it is a great shame to lose this weapon.

11159066785_2f3e654fdd_c.jpg

This day, Garidas’ dream has come true. Along with a few other young men, he is receiving his gladius and helmet from the commanding officer of the North-Western Sector Guards at this force’s barracks in the heart of the sector.

Little do these proud young men know what their duty will have them facing in the Kaliphlin civil war looming on the horizon...

11159069946_068b812fb6_c.jpg

If in this very moment Garidas would have had his fortune read, the deck would have shown the following cards:

• The Cat: For growing up in the back alleys of the city and learning to catch rats at an early age to help feed the family
  • The Emperor (or perhaps Kaligem): Signifying his service to the city and the realm
  • The Sandstorm (or perhaps even Death): For the horrors in store in the Kaliphlin civil war...

Some spectators have been allowed into the barracks, and are watching the ceremony from the roof of the armory.

11159081946_046745368d_c.jpg

I also claim UPDH credits for the following subjects:

• Military Science: Military camp (barracks in this case)
  • Anthropology: Life in Kaliphlin
  • Architecture: Advanced windows and window frames (for the half-stud offset window frames with curved top and SNOT details and for the flower boxes below the upper level windows)
  • Architecture: Roofing (flat Kaliphlin style tiled roof)

Edited by Gideon

I always love seeing your take on Kaliphlin architecture, the windows, balcony, and the way you showed the interior by cut-aways work nicely :wub: Great use of color too :classic:

A really cool insight into Kaliphlin life! Nice idea for a military hierarchy as well! I do like your tan Kaliphlin builds, it makes me question being in Nocty sometimes!

Very nice! My favourite thing, the floored wall inside the weapon stores and the brick built red table cloth.

Barqa seems like a nice place :wink:

Nice barracks Gideon! It looks very well stocked and manned, if the parade ground is anything to go by. :classic: The covered walkway and the windows on the first floor look great, and the little touches like the shrubs under the windows and the covered tables add a lot of appeal. I'd say best of luck in the comp, but you seem to be the only entrant in cat 1... :look::grin:

UoP wise, definitely +1 for Millitary Science (millitary camp), Life in Kaliphlin and advanced windows. Sorry but i can't approve the roof credit - there just isn't enough of it to indicate mastery and what there is is pretty basic (although it works well in the moc!).

wow, I really like this! Everything looks nice, organic and well photographed. Wish I'd finally get there ...

Thanks!

Looks like I did the only entry for this category? At least I think it's not December 1st anywhere in the world still...? :wink:

Anyway, if anyone has a build for this category up his/her sleeve and did not make the deadline...by all means post it as well!

UoP wise, definitely +1 for Millitary Science (millitary camp), Life in Kaliphlin and advanced windows. Sorry but i can't approve the roof credit - there just isn't enough of it to indicate mastery and what there is is pretty basic (although it works well in the moc!).

Fair enough, I did not know if this was even possible to consider as a roofing technique but figured I'd try to make a claim :wink:.

Maybe a whole house (i.e. with all walls) with a flat "middle eastern" roof and a hatch/stair etc would count?

Love the colours going on here, everything goes together so well. Also, the architectural style, fig posing, and photography are all excellent too. A sure fire contender for winner of the category 1 challenge...lol :grin:

Great photos! I love them! They are so crisp and bright! I guess you are not using our dark swedish light to make this happen?

The moc is so good looking! I love it! As I said back on Swebrick, the lower part of the building to the left is my favourite! Well done my friend!

Excellent build, the colors the techniques are very appealing, and the whole atmosphere is great.

I really enjoy this moc. :sweet:

Fair enough, I did not know if this was even possible to consider as a roofing technique but figured I'd try to make a claim :wink:.

Maybe a whole house (i.e. with all walls) with a flat "middle eastern" roof and a hatch/stair etc would count?

Yeah, maybe with a hatch or stairs and some fancy crenellation work or something, that sounds reasonable to me! :classic:

Your mocs are always so inspiring! They draw you in with excellent overall composition and great storytelling while not being overly complex. This one in particular is just perfect. I really like the windows as well as the pink and olive green flowers. I completely forgot about this competition, would have been fun to enter!

Really like the atmosphere of the whole moc: the story, the anticipation in the faces of the new recruits, the people watching, the sunny feel of it all - and the knowing there is a civil war waiting for those boys...

Great, great job!

Congrats!

PS. Jester wants to take Fool on a holiday to Barqua to do some sightseeing! :pir-wink:

Nice build! I especially like how you built the pink flowers!

Love the use of the pink flowers and the door. :thumbup:

Your mocs are always so inspiring! They draw you in with excellent overall composition and great storytelling while not being overly complex. This one in particular is just perfect. I really like the windows as well as the pink and olive green flowers. I completely forgot about this competition, would have been fun to enter!

Thanks!

The pink flower arrangement was something I came up with at the last minute before finishing the MOC, needed something more on that roof and I really like how they turned out! Another time I think I'm going to use the same technique hanging from an upper-storey window, since that's in line with the Mediterranean feel I want my Barqa builds to have.

Great photos! I love them! They are so crisp and bright! I guess you are not using our dark swedish light to make this happen?

The moc is so good looking! I love it! As I said back on Swebrick, the lower part of the building to the left is my favourite! Well done my friend!

Thanks! No, I did not have any natural light for these pictures...I used my usual technique of bouncing the flash off my white living room ceiling.

Really like the atmosphere of the whole moc: the story, the anticipation in the faces of the new recruits, the people watching, the sunny feel of it all - and the knowing there is a civil war waiting for those boys...

Great, great job!

Congrats!

Jester wants to take Fool on a holiday to Barqua to do some sightseeing! :pir-wink:

They are very welcome to Barqa, as long as they keep themselves on the right side of the law (or bribe the right keepers of the law :wink:)

Barqans always have time to take a break and enjoy a show, and there is a lot of gold and silver to be earned for a good show!

Glad that the storytelling was appreciated as well, I really liked the idea of a happy feeling with the blissful ignorance of looming chaos and horror :wink:

On another note I'm really happy with my Ikea roller curtain backdrop, I havn't done any post-processing to this background...only roll down (well, after setting up the supports, cleaning the table etc etc...), point and shoot now!

Edited by Gideon

Another great Gideon build! I will also lend my +1 to the windows, military and life in Kaliphlin.

Wow! I really, really like this one! Your Kaliphlin walls are great as usual, and the general Barqa architecture is very nicely done. I would have liked to see the interior of the barracks -- looks like you can see a bit on the side. Definitely +1 for windows, military camp, and life in Kaliphlin. Plus I love those flower boxes!

TUB, this was posted in December and hasn't been commeted on for half a year, sometimes you can really do the numbers yourself, can't ya?