Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#88: Fathers and Sons

Sorry Zeph, it's been a nightmare week so far. I'll try to post a bit more.

Jess grunted as she accepted her share of the loot, preferring the gold over the goods. Sighing, she wondered who she'd sit by. Deciding on the Grizzly Armored Man, Jess grabbed a couple of drinks and plopped down beside him.

"Howdy there, Grizzly Armored Man. Trade you a drink for your name."

95126e79-3241-4d01-9fda-d28bb4cad8be_zpsd0e9db8d.jpg

"Your first drink is on me," grunts King Speros as he slaps down the gold for Hoke's mead. "You both fought well today. Wish I could say that blood shed is an improper introduction to this side of the river, but it isn't."

Hoke extends his hand to the King to shake and takes a gulp of his drink.

​"Your actions in battle were nothing short of heroic. Many thanks for the refreshment King Speros. The violence may not be a proper introduction, but it seems to be the truth of the situation. If only we had time to ask Baltar a few questions. I do somewhat understand the Prince's frustration, but much good can come from information."

Edited by UsernameMDM

(I would like timezones to be taken into account too guys, I am on GMT and work blocks EB these days!)

Tesni shrugged at the selection, she wasnted some local ales over the usual Eubric drinks. The bar was not of interest so she took a seat at the Prince's table, someone might be good for a chat.

Sorry Zeph, it's been a nightmare week so far. I'll try to post a bit more.

"Howdy there, Grizzly Armored Man. Trade you a drink for your name."

OoC: Free drinks? :grin:

085580c5-5f5b-4b41-8287-857be9e00450_zps1da534c1.jpg

"I'm General Hector Mint," he says, accepting the drink. "Four Boulders Kingdom."

6ca550cb-7a69-48eb-849e-abea5142c6be_zpsfee827ad.jpg

"Used to serve my father, until my father lost his taste for battle. Some time after a Nord poked out his eye. So now he serves me. General Mint is always hungry for blood."

"Only the blood of Nords and Orcs."

"Those creatures that vex our country the most. My father has forgotten the hatred we bear those creatures, but General Mint and I have not."

"Can't be safe with them nearby. Hard to forget. Enemies you respect are those you should fear most."

​"Your actions in battle were nothing short of heroic. Many thanks for the refreshment King Speros. The violence may not be a proper introduction, but it seems to be the truth of the situation. If only we had time to ask Baltar a few questions. I do somewhat understand the Prince's frustration, but much good can come from information."

"I know it. My son has a particular blood lust. He believes Baltar would not have spared us should we have lost, and he feels obligated to return the favor. What is the saying? When you fight monsters, you have to be careful not to become one. My son has been on this side of the river too long, but he refuses to leave and General Mint refuses to let him go."

(I would like timezones to be taken into account too guys, I am on GMT and work blocks EB these days!)

Tesni shrugged at the selection, she wasnted some local ales over the usual Eubric drinks. The bar was not of interest so she took a seat at the Prince's table, someone might be good for a chat.

OoC: I understand, and I understand too that you are staff. And have a real life. And I won't bother you about it again, but bear in mind a post every 24 hours would be appreciated, IF possible. :blush:

"Ah, another hero of the day. Of course I attract all the ladies. Sit down, sit down!"

Nerwen sees Seraphael from the corner if her eye, nodding.

She smacks Fredrick on the back of the head as if he were a naughty boy in class.

I am a messenger of the gods. Consider yourself stuck as a warning. You know your own transgressions. As a ruler though, your faults are not merely personal issues but affect your kingdom, your people and the kingdoms around you.

But you do not need me to instruct you. You know the path of light. You need simply to walk it.

As for drinks, if you're buying the first, I believe I will try my first ambrosia in a long time. I can see myself developing a taste for it.

Free drinks? Bah! Nothing in life is ever free. :tongue:

"Well it's nice to meet you, General Mint. You fought valiantly today, and it was my pleasure to fight by your side. How did you lose your eye, if you don't mind me asking?"

Nerwen speaks very quietly. Quiet enough for Jess' Elven hearing to pick up but not loud enough for the humans to pick out over the hubbub of the inn

General Mint has two functioning eyes. It is Fredrick's father King Speros that has lost an eye.

"I know it. My son has a particular blood lust. He believes Baltar would not have spared us should we have lost, and he feels obligated to return the favor. What is the saying? When you fight monsters, you have to be careful not to become one. My son has been on this side of the river too long, but he refuses to leave and General Mint refuses to let him go."

"That may be true, but a little foresight that information could have been gained before Baltar was dispatched would have been optimal. Do you have any clue which tribe that was that attacked the bridge?

He refuses to leave, and the General backs his stance over your orders? Is this going to pose a problem later on?"

"Thank you for your offer, good king, I would love to have a mulled wine, a special drink, one of my favorites." Benji drinks the mulled wine as soon as he gets it.

"So, I have heard what the official line on the bridge is, what do you people think hmm?" Tesni asked in general, pub talk was picked up by many different people after all.

I am a messenger of the gods. Consider yourself stuck as a warning. You know your own transgressions. As a ruler though, your faults are not merely personal issues but affect your kingdom, your people and the kingdoms around you.

But you do not need me to instruct you. You know the path of light. You need simply to walk it.

As for drinks, if you're buying the first, I believe I will try my first ambrosia in a long time. I can see myself developing a taste for it.

"What transgressions? Fighting the Orcs? Sorry, but I think even your white robed pals down in the South would agree with me there. And you're free to the drink, but don't expect a second if you keep walking around whacking people over the head."

"That may be true, but a little foresight that information could have been gained before Baltar was dispatched would have been optimal. Do you have any clue which tribe that was that attacked the bridge?

He refuses to leave, and the General backs his stance over your orders? Is this going to pose a problem later on?"

"I don't. I'm more sympathetic to the Orcs than most, but that doesn't mean that they're sympathetic to me. Valentino would tell you if he were still here - the Orcs are a society. The men forget it when they slaughter them, but they are a developed people with a developed system of politics. Unfortunately, that means it is difficult to tell which clan is doing what. If I knew their armor better, maybe."

"As for my son and the General - refuse is the wrong word. I do not know if you heroes keep children, but it is difficult to order them to do anything, particularly once they're grown, particularly if they are to be King. He has not listened to my suggestions, and I suspect that the General has supported him to stay instead of accepting a change of command. He knows I do not like fighting, and he would absolutely refuse, refuse being the right word in this case, to take orders from a Red Lizard commander."

"Well it's nice to meet you, General Mint. You fought valiantly today, and it was my pleasure to fight by your side. How did you lose your eye, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Hm? How the King lost his eye?" It seems that the General is not paying too close conversation, or perhaps assumed that the error was on his hearing and not Jess' vision. "Some Nord poked it out a long while back. I was there for the battle. Rough stuff. I captured the man, some leader of one of the smaller clans - took out both of his eyes and his tongues and cut off his hands. Thought it was appropriate punishment. I maimed him bad, sure, but he maimed a nation."

"So, I have heard what the official line on the bridge is, what do you people think hmm?" Tesni asked in general, pub talk was picked up by many different people after all.

"It's necessary," says Frederick with a shrug. "Have you heard the story of Augustus on this side of the river?"

---

532dc2c4-56db-4f5a-adb9-6a31803424d9_zps50f3a063.jpg

"In the Orcish War, during the night, King Augustus had some of his troops on this side of the river, planning to do an ambush or something of the like. They'd left a pretty decent force across the river too, as a distraction or to hold the line or something. But Torakai outsmarted him. Took a huge force and crushed the small force that Augustus had left behind. And Augustus was on this side of the river, watching the carnage and flame, and he couldn't do anything."

b7674c5d-c3ed-43e6-b659-1fd0f0923ca8_zpsaf7fe56e.jpg

OoC: Bad focus.

"Out of the wind and snow and sleet, as they watched the fire, came two figures to Augustus, some dark God and his witch. And they joined Augustus and the troops he had with him and they watched the flames together. And the dark old God turned to Augustus and told him that if he accepted the dark old God and denounced Ennoc, the young and bright, that the dark God would give Augustus the power to save his troops, and save the day, the crush Torakai."

3f5aa543-8dac-4993-bae4-72fe7b658daa_zps98d38f97.jpg

"And Augustus turned to the dark old god and said 'NO' and he didn't denounce Ennoc and his men burned and the war continued."

---

"So, heroes, what's the moral? Why the bridge?"

Edited by Zepher

"What transgressions? Fighting the Orcs? Sorry, but I think even your white robed pals down in the South would agree with me there. And you're free to the drink, but don't expect a second if you keep walking around whacking people over the head."

Nerwen's smile with thin.

Fear not young Prince. Mine will not be the next hand that whacks you over the head.

As for the moral of the story, I am sure you have something in mind. But I would say that if the old one made an offer to one side, who is to say an offer was not made to the other also? And if accepted, what price was paid by the people of Tarokai?

Is it Tarokai or Torakai? Or is the mistake Frederick being a jerk and not caring about proper pronunciation of his enemies' historical figure?

"The lesson is, of course, to seize power when you can. Sometimes others depend on it."

The sun outside has set. The heroes and others go to bed with their own thoughts...

OoC: You can all role play and chat for a tiny bit - "in the morning" before the others get up. I'll move you along very very shortly. We got to kill about a day or two to wait for other quests. :wink:

Edited by Zepher

That is an... interesting view of the situation.

With such a view I am surprised you pay so little attention to the gods, to those who bestow power.

Nerwen drinks the ambrosia given by Frederick.

She also approaches the bar and orders another ambrosia to take away, handing over the 77 gold to the barkeep to pay for it.

Benji goes to his room and falls asleep with a loud snore.

Sleep was often hard to come by in quests but Tesni did not trust the inn much, she slept in he stable loft with Cysgodion close to hand.

The heroes awake fully rested the following morning.

OoC: This should include your drinks from last night, and your loot from the last battle - as always, check me!

The Party

hoke_ableword_1b.jpg

Hoke Ablesword The Krakenwhacker and Titan Smiter (UsernameMDM)
*Party Leader*

Level 29.66 Mystic Knight
*Immune to Darkness, Fragile, Weakened, Sealed, and Confused* *+5 Defense* *Encouraged*

Power Bonus:
4 (+4 WP)

Defense
:

Health
: 48/48

Ether
: 29/29

Gold
: 348

Equipment
:
Flagpole (WP:4, +3 SP to the whole party whenever equipped, lance)
, Steel Buckler (SP: 20, immune to
darkness
),
Samurai Helmet (WP: 4, immune to sealed and confused, suitable to knights, dragoons, regulators, winged warriors)
, Pugilist Gloves (+2 to power, immune Weakened), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immune Fragile)

Inventory
:
Vintul (WP: 16; greatsword)
Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1)
, Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, causes the Bleeding effect; spear),
Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory),
Cultist Hat (damage vs undead),
Counterstrike Gloves,
Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Emerald (
Wood
), Aquamarine (
Water
), 2x Amethyst (
Darkness
), Diamond (
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
),
Garnet (
Earth
)
Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep,
4x Potions, 4x Grand Potions, Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essences, Phoenix Incense, 4x Mead, 4x Ether Core, x4 Dragon Scale
(
Grants lucky- and blessed-effects when consumed)
, Grating Stone, Zoot's Plaything (Special 3/4 Edition), Water Bomb, Dirt Bomb, 2x Smoke Bomb, 3x Venom, 3x Deadly Venom, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Kraken Fang (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed),
2x
Titan Heart
(
Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Level Up Mushroom, Pumpkin Bomb, Mulled Wine, Tonic, 2x Flame-Distilled Brandy

9173297646_e66d93ed81_o.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
, the Dragonslayer

Level 35.75 Beastwarrior
*Natural Respite*
*Gains Triple XP*
*Immune to
Asleep
Blinded
Confused
Fragile
, and
Weakened
Effects
* *+3 Defense* *Inspired*

Power:
(35+16)

Defense:
(3+6)

Health:
122/122
(6+34+15+6)

Gold:
(owes 500 to Alexis Fenral)

Equipment:
Meduiak (Precision Bow; WP:16; AIM's become HIT's;
darkness-
ice-
fire-
wind
-
elemental
)
Medal of Glory
(accessory, mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles, immunity to
asleep, blinded, confused, fragile, and weakened effects)
, Tricorne (headwear, SP:3), Overkill Gloves
[borrowed from Galen]
(handwear, +1 gold for every point of damage done extra when defeating an enemy)
, Scaly Skin of the Allanoid (SP:6, backwear, suitable for Ranger and Barbarian Oriented Classes and Beast Warriors)

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP:15;
earth-,
wood-,
water-
lightning-,
light-
elemental),
Brown Dragon Girdle (bodywear, power +3; immunity to wood; suitable to rangers, rogues, alchemists and beast warriors),
Ratmancer's Cowl
(headgear, the wearer's physical attacks deal double damage against vermin),
Trickster's Mask of the Gender Swap (artefact, accessory),
Health Core (5),
Grand Potion (9),
Potion (2),
Remedy (6), Phoenix Essence (5),
Phoenix Incense (2), Dragon Scales (3),
Nostrum (4), Smelling Salts (4), Mead (5), Mulled Wine (4), Venom, Smoke Bomb (3),
Skeleton Decoy, Lightning Bomb, Fire Bomb 2x, Water Bomb, Bone,
Magic Compass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, Puglist's Gloves (Handwear, +2 Power, Immune to Weakened Effect), Chaotic Bomb, Cosmic Essence, Flame-Distilled Brandy (4), Ambrosia

gallery_4757_182_2350.jpg

Tesni Hightribe
, Level 33 Beserker *Restoration* *Immune to Afraid* *+3 Defense*

Power
: 60

Power Bonus
: 0

Defense
:

Health
: 52/52

Gold
: 1456

Equipment
: Fàelàn (WP:20, 8x damage to enemies weak to fire, fire-elemental longsword)),Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP:11, Immunity to afraid), Bone Claws (WP:3, SP:2; handwear), Dragon Bone Armor (SP:4, Max. Health +2; bodywear), Barbarian's Boots (Changes “Natural Respite” job trait into “Restoration”, restoring full health after every battle; suitable for barbarians, chi monks and beast warriors).

Inventory
: Mellt (WP:10, ice- and lightning-elemental; hammer), Qilin Blade (WP:15, damages undead, ignores row and SP; longsword), Cysgodion (WP:14, darkness-elemental; greatsword), Dryw ar Zoot (WP:14, light-elemental; longsword), Cryfder (WP:6),Party Maracas (WP:4, user is hastened, instrument), Rebel's Dagger (WP: 5), 2 Shackles of War (prevents all fleeing, accessory), Red Dragon Plume (artifact, accessory, immunity to Weakened and Fire, suitable to Barbarians, Knights, Skirmishers, Winged Warriors), King's Crown (Headwear, protects against Doom and Petrified, Suitable for all classes), Scroll of Sleep, Tiger Balm, Elixir, 2 Phoenix Essences, 5 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 4 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Soma, Deadly Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bright Polish, Aquamarine Lamp of Summoning, Mod Rod (WP:10, causes the afraid-effect; lightning-elemental staff suitable for staff members only). Mulled Wine, 3 Potions, 3 Remedies

11848567465_ee55225c16_o.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

Level 24 Paladin
*Immune to Sealed*
*+3 Defense* *Reinforced*

Power bonus:

Defense:

Health:
45/45

Ether:
35/35

Gold:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP: 15;
Water
Darkness
-elemental; staff), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3; Max Ether +5; Immune to
Sealed
; bodywear), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (Accessory, Suitable for Paladins, At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to Blind), White Cloak (Max HP +3; backwear)

Inventory:
Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and
Immune to Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), Orc Barbed Shield (SP: 10)

Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2; Immune to
Water
; accessory)

Opal
Topaz
Diamond
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald

Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion

Grand Tonics (4), Potions (3), Elixirs (3), Remedies (7), Potion, Phoenix Essences (2), Phoenix Incense, Tiger Balm, Neutralizers (2), Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom, Fire Bombs (2), Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bombs (2), Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bombs (2), Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Carrot (restores 5 HP, 10 to rabbits), Bright Polish, Double Rainbow, Ether Core, Copy of Eubric herald (inspired and transcended, one battle), Grand potion, Phoenix Essence, Venom, Ambrosia

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass

ava-jess.jpg

Jess Islanti (Sisco)

Level 20.66 Assassin
*Immune to Weakened Effect* *+3 Defense*

Power Bonus
: 2

Health
: 32/32

Defense
: 3

Gold
: 201

Equipment
: Blohdhurm (WP: 14)(Fire elemental, Permanently Poisoned), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 to Power, immune to the Weakened Effect), Medal of Honor (Accessory, User Gains Triple Experience)

Inventory
: 2 Venoms, 3 Meads, 3 Grand Potions,
Dragonfire Stew (Gives the consumer the
encouraged
and
inspired
effects for the duration of one battle), Mulled Wine, 13 Potions, 11 Remedies, 4 Phoenix Essences, 5 Flame-Distilled Brandy

The heroes trundle down the stairs and find that Prince Frederick, Hamilton and General Mint are all milling around.

"Good morning, heroes! Hope you rested well. If not, tell me, I'd love an excuse to get some new sheets or pillows. As it is, if you want to get a good night's sleep, you have to drink yourself into a stupor... or perhaps that's just me." He smiles. "I apologize, but my father has already departed to protect the bridge. Taken over my command for the day, to show me how it's done no doubt. I think he wants me there with him." Frederick shrugs. "Now, its our understanding that Heweyrt wants you to get a feel for the land. You've already seen what defending the bridge is like, now you can see what patrols are like - the other half of the work that we do on this side of the river."

"Course I'd love to take you out myself, what with three charming ladies and two handsome gentlemen, but like I said, my old man wants me with him for the day. So, Hamilton and Mint are your guides for the day."

"I've been on many patrols. Not very dangerous. Doubt the orcs will move towards the bridge again soon. Mostly looking out for Nords. Besides, if we find danger, you've proven yourself more than apt at dealing with it."

"Well, have a good day, heroes. Look at that!" Frederick points out the window where soft white light is streaming into the room. "The sun is shining through the clouds. Looks to be a great day." Frederick gives a little salute and saunters out of the inn. Hamilton turns to the heroes.

a3501f92-2af4-44f7-b269-8eac02552cbe_zps9489be9c.jpg

"Just tell us when you're ready. The men are outside, all geared up. I'm excited to see what these patrols are all about."

Zeph, is the Dragonfire Stew a one-use item like a mead, or is it something I could use multiple times? If it's the former, then I used it in the last battle.

Jess stretched, catlike and wide-eyed. She was excited to get going.

"I'm ready, Hamilton."

Nerwen swaps her shield of the red lizard for the Orc barbed shield.

Noting it's dented and scuffed condition , she sets to work with her bright polish on it, incidentally making it slightly better at blocking blows.

She then nodded at Sir Ablesword and Generals Mint and Hamilton.

Let us proceed when the others are ready.

"Alright then. Let's get a move on." Benji clearly had little to say.

"No brushland or forest. That's not what Baltarok is like. You can leave your hopes of greenery behind. Baltarok is rock and ice."

The heroes set out with the two generals and a small detachment of Four Boulders soldiers.

c94b835b-18a7-498b-a874-a04b2eed97a9_zpsb8ba45eb.jpg

"Keep your eyes sharp, heroes. Just because an Orc attack is unlikely doesn't mean it is impossible. They are slimy creatures. And watch the river. The Fire Nords are worse. Only cowards are raiders."