Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#88: Fathers and Sons

Benji nudges Hoke and offers to him a phoenix incense.

"Yes, it would be better to work swiftly before anything else complicates matters."

"Like its not complicated enough as it is."

Should have only 3x Dragon Scale as Hoke consumed 1x in the last battle.

Benji nudges Hoke and offers to him a phoenix incense.

"Thanks."

Hoke slips the incense into his pouch.

Edited by UsernameMDM

95126e79-3241-4d01-9fda-d28bb4cad8be_zpsd0e9db8d.jpg

"You're right, Nerwen. I will meet you at the bridge. Hopefully Hamilton and my son will have returned to our side of the river." King Speros bows to Cheif Byrne, and then bows to the heroes before stalking off through the smoldering city.

Iorek starts to gnaw on the arm of one of the fallen Nords. Chief Byrne growls at him before turning to the heroes. The polar bear stops.

bf4fa819-9487-4fac-999f-ede990e78e8c_zpsa2e78f14.jpg

"You have my respect, heroes. I told you, yesterday, upon your arrival, that I would not respect those who did not fight for their ideals. You have fought a good fight, and you slaughtered my men. I fought for what I thought was right, and you fought for what you thought was right. I will be true to my word when I say I will not attack the bridge. But I demand that you remain true to your word as well. We have been asked to respect the bridge. You must defend it. If Grishnod will not be our honor, the bridge will be. King Speros is a man we respect. The bridge is his pride, and so it is ours."

The Chief turns to Tesni. "Daughter of the North. You have proven yourself honorable during your time here. We trust that you will do what is right. You understand our ways. Do not be swayed from your honor. You heroes now speak for our honor as well. You have bested us. You must not be defeated."

Heweyrt clears our throat.

352abbef-fd1c-4799-ad5d-1a3827fe57ab_zps8cd65e4b.jpg

"Yeah, yeah, we get it. Honor and all that. We'll hold it dearly." Heweyrt laughs, but his expression softens slightly. "Really. Thank you. We must go speak to Prince David."

bf4fa819-9487-4fac-999f-ede990e78e8c_zpsa2e78f14.jpg

"Off with you, then. We will burn our dead here - Nords and High Kingdom soldiers alike. It is our funeral. They have earned it."

Heweyrt nods and leads the heroes towards the Temple of Ennoc. The doors hang off their hinges and are seared. Inside are scattered dead bodies. The heroes approach two figures, who raise their blades, then lower them again upon seeing who it is.

19587183-7b58-4739-a76c-5bbb75db1c20_zps00231017.jpg

d093b824-aa19-41a6-b486-c7d322f1cdb9_zps7dfc22ad.jpg

"Heroes," says the Warrior Priest coldly. There is dead silence. What will the heroes say?

Jess looked around coolly at the bodies before turning her attention to the priest.

"I figure there's not much to say except this: what happened?"

Prince David opens his mouth, but closes it swiftly upon seeing that the Warrior Priest will speak.

"These Nords attacked two servants of Ennoc. The Lord of Light provided for his servants. I was able to defend us." The heroes look around. There is a shocking amount of bodies, but only two belong to Red Lizard soldiers - the rest are Nords. It appears that the Warrior Priest is able to handle himself in combat. "Where were you, heroes, at the time of the attack? Nerwen? Did you not hear the Lord of Light call out to you?"

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"Looks like you were able to handle yourself, he he. Maybe he told her to piss off and then forgot to strike down the foe."

Heweyrt shoots Gocklo a dirty look and shakes his head.

To Gocklo Nerwen said gently,

Hush, little one.

Raising her voice she addressed the old Paladin.

I did hear the call. And answered it. We halted the fire-nord slaughter of your people and restored honour between them and the high kingdoms. The Lord we serve cares for the people who serve your King and acted through me, through us, to protect them. What more would you have me do?

Edited by Chromeknight

"Ah, I see. The Lord of Light sent one servant to protect the King, and one to let his wrath be felt. Where is the head of the traitorous Chief Byrne?"

His head is firmly attached to his shoulders, as befits one who surrenders to the will of The Lord of Light.

The Lord of Light is merciful and wise.

Benji snarls meanly at the warrior priest. "Maybe let your Prince get a word in, I'd be interested to know his opinion of things as well."

As the party speaks to the Prince and Warrior Priest, Hoke inspects the bodies of the fallen, to see if there are any signs of life and possibly anything of use.

"It looks as if you two can handle yourselves quite well. Prince, are you unharmed?"

Tesni clapped a fist to her armour in acknowledgement and farewell to the chief and followed to the temple.

"Can the prince speak or has the light caught his tongue?" The priest put her on edge for sure.

His head is firmly attached to his shoulders, as befits one who surrenders to the will of The Lord of Light.

The Lord of Light is merciful and wise.

"How long have you served the Lord of Light, Nerwen? A day? It does not befit you to lecture me. I have served the Lord of Light for forty seven years and am still learning how he speaks and what actions he wishes us to take. The Lord of Light is a Lord of Shadows as well, it is true, and he is a merciful lord as well, but those who strike against his servants are not forgiven. The Chief ravaged the city. Are we to let that go? I have had enough inaction since I arrived here."

Hoke, while Nerwen is being berated, finds another Nasal Helmet and 32 gold!

1cb95485-02ad-4e12-bf4a-b74688761745_zpsbbf16677.jpg

"I can speak," says the Prince sourly, and the heroes notice for the first time that his face is pale and blood splatters his robes. "I am unharmed, thanks only to Raguel. Where were you, heroes, when the Nords were burning my city? The Nords that King Speros brought here. I was not pleased with them. I wished to strike them down, but they held the Orc who could release my father. And now they have slaughtered my men and women. I am the King. It does not suit me to be so... weak." Prince David looks at the floor. "The Light has called me time and time again, but I have ignored it. I bowed to King Speros though he was in my city. I bowed to the Nords though they showed me little respect." Prince David shoots Tesni a dirty look. "And now I must suffer an attack on my advisor."

352abbef-fd1c-4799-ad5d-1a3827fe57ab_zps8cd65e4b.jpg

"I am sure the heroes meant no disrespect."

"What have your heroes accomplished, Heweyrt? They have not protected me. They have not protected my people. They have insulted my advisor and given the Nords pardon. Who do you serve, heroes? Who do you serve, Nerwen?"

"Hewyrt is our employer, and the protection of the bridge is our mission. Besides, it looks as if you and your present company can readily handle yourselves in a fight."

Hoke looks over to Nerwen, then back to the Warrior Priest.

"Lady Nerwen is with us. Berating new recruit does not seem the wisest way to retain loyalty.

You do not hold the monopoly on your lord's will. If the one you serve is void if mercy, then do not expect those around you to show you mercy."

Edited by UsernameMDM

"How long have you served the Lord of Light, Nerwen? A day? It does not befit you to lecture me. I have served the Lord of Light for forty seven years and am still learning how he speaks and what actions he wishes us to take. The Lord of Light is a Lord of Shadows as well, it is true, and he is a merciful lord as well, but those who strike against his servants are not forgiven. The Chief ravaged the city. Are we to let that go? I have had enough inaction since I arrived here."

A day has passed since the Light granted me Angelic protection and a clearer hearing of his voice. But if he is The Lord of All as the texts say, if there is none other besides him, then my every action leading up to this day has also been in his service. Sometimes unknown, sometimes known, as he has chosen to reveal himself throughout my two and and half centuries of walking these lands. Understand that I respect you as an elder in our shared path. But also know I am not simply a paladin, I remain an elf, a tele'quessir and experience things very differently to the brief lives of the edain. If my perspective is different, it is not to lecture you, it is to carry a message to you from the light itself.

As for forgiveness of those who strike his servants, it would be a bold man to deny categorically that such a thing be impossible. How would you punish the chief? Give him the blessed relief of death? Or would you rather his kin and servants be slaughtered and he be asked to bend the knee in fealty to other kings? Is that not what we achieved? Is he not punished fitly?

And inaction? How can that be of a servant of the light unless the light wishes it so? Either you are saying you mislike the Light's commands to bide or you ignore his call to action. If the one you serve says he has ignored the light's call, does that not reflect poorly on his advisor?

Nerwen turned to the Prince.

You ask where were we when the Nords were burning your city? We were with your General, securing the passage of him who could release your father. The father whose release you specifically commanded me to effect if possible.

Where were we when Nords were slaughtering your people and you wished to strike them down? We were striking them down.

Where were we? Answering the call of the light that you did not.

We have protected your people.

We did not pardon all nords, we struck many down and left those standing in fealty to you.

And we did not begin by insulting your advisor, though he chose to take my words so.

But I have made clear now my opinon on the worth of his service to you,

Nerwen's voice rose,

Whom do I serve? I have faithfully served he who brought us to these lands.

Whom do I serve? I think it is clear I have served you well.

Whom do I serve? I walk in the light, following The Lord of Light.

That you ask me this question is no reflection on my service, but upon your own dimness of vision.

You were there when I swore that I would bend my path to fighting darknesses, bringing forth light in each that I meet, as they are able to bear. Striking down only those that have only darkness within them.

If you have charge to bring against me on that oath, do so.

Nerwen drew breath and continued in a calmer more diplomatic tone,

I apologise my lord for raising my voice. It was unseemly. But come, we are servants of the same light. Let us share the light we have and have no quarrels over whether age or length of service or station of birth is due deference and greatest honour.

*breathe*

Sorry for those not into walls of text! Apparently Nerwen's been waiting for a chance to vent.

The tl;dr version is Nerwen already a bit arrogant before. Now she'll go toe to toe with anyone.

Edited by Chromeknight

"Only those who live by the sword may deliver its killing blow to others. I'm not sure who you serve, sir, your god or your own self."

"That's enough from everyone. You're safe, the prince is safe, King Speros is safe. We need to make sure the bridge is safe too. If there isn't anything else to deal with here, we should be on our way."

Hoke goes to leave, but turns back to the Prince and Warrior Priest.

"If it's our protection you seek, you might want to come along."

Level 20s can equip 3 artefacts, correct? If not, ignore the following dialogue.

"Jess, I would suggest your equip your new helm. Does anyone else want to borrow/take this one I just found?"

Tesni quirked a brow at the little prince and his expression. There was never any point arguing with zealots or trying to intimidate anyone in the thrall of a god, maybe once she would have tried but it seemed unlikely to bear fruit here.

"My- my father is returning?"

"If the Orcs release him. If they haven't killed him already." The Warrior Priest snorts. "You are right, Nerwen, it does reflect poorly on his advisor, and I have been ignoring the Light's call. I was sent to the North by the Lord of Light for a reason. That reason has finally become clear. The Nords were in the city because the bridge is being built. Otherwise, we would not entertain them. It is clear that this massacre was a nudge from the Lord, spurring me to action. You say that an Orc was freed? It is clear what our course is. That bridge has stood long enough. We must claim it for his light. We must vanquish the Orcs. They gather now, I am sure, on the other side of the river. The Nords wish the bridge to be theirs, and the Orcs wish the bridge to be theirs, but we must claim it for the light. If you wish to not be viewed as weak, than act. Gather your troops. The Light that reveals everything will shine forever."

Prince David steels his face.

"I will assure my father's safe return. When he is freed from the Orcs who took him so viscously, he will come home to the bridge that he envisioned, and it will be in his Kingdom's name. In the Lord of Light's name."

"Let us pass, heroes. There is work to be done."

Heweyrt raises an eyebrow at the heroes. They stand in the path of the Prince and the Paladin, who are marching towards them, attempting to get by... what will they do?

Hoke stands in front of the Warrior Priest.

"No one is going out to vanquish anyone. You will stay here, where you've been this whole time, and we will go out."

"As soon as you step foot outside this temple, so will we."

"Stand aside. You have no authority here. Heweyrt was hired by my father, and you are hired by him. You cannot command me." Prince David screws his lips together. His face is still pale, but his eyes are fiery now. "My people will know that we are strong. We have suffered humiliation by the Orcs and the Nords. The time for it has come to an end. The Light calls."

"To what end? Your father is being peacefully released. Was he taken hostage? Perhaps, but how many innocent orcs have been killed for some forgotten reason or no valid reason At all? Isn't enough? Shouldn't it be put to a peaceful end with no more hostages, no more blood shed? Your father is coming to you alive. You are alive and will soon be reunited. Let that be victory enough for today. If you insist on leaving, it will be in our presence."

"That is called being taken hostage. I would not like to call my troops on you. I am only going to go welcome my father home and present to him the bridge that the Nords and Orcs have tried to claim for themselves."

"The bridge should be ours. The Lord of Light has had enough bowing. We bowed to the Orcs when they took King Valentino hostage. We bowed to the Nords when they entered our city. We will not now bow to mercenaries. We are rising up, not falling lower. Move."