On A Scale 1 To 5  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Rate This Set?

2. 2. Which New Figure Is Your Favorite?

Excellent review! I can't wait to see the movie to see what scene this set is based on! I love the minifigures and the setup of the set the structure and the space in front of it is perfect for what I'm sure will be an epic confrontation with azog and the necromancer which after all is the purpose of this set as it is supposed to be a playset!

Edited by legofreak86

Nice review. It does look a bit average, apart from the Radagast figure.

That cage would have been easy to escape from!

Nice review. It does look a bit average, apart from the Radagast figure.

That cage would have been easy to escape from!

Maybe is not for escaping, or maybe skeleton doesent need to escape :)

Из вашего сообщения не очень понятно, чего вы в итоге хотите добиться… Просто повысить самооценку или найти цель вашей жизни или еще что-то? Хотя, соглашусь, тренинг о целеполагании – не самый худший вариант. Попробуйте, это точно не помешает. Расскажете и нам, что да как :)

Цель состоит в том, чтобы обсудить другу

Sorry, but how does it combine with the DGA? I have neither set.

(And I have no intention to buy them yet for my budget is done for, but maybe when on sale. Radagast and Azog are some mighty incentives, and the set itself is nice, although I would have liked a bigger DG better)

Sorry, but how does it combine with the DGA?

I Hope to find out on Christmas morning :-)....... Well if I am not roped into playing skylanders with my son all day... :-)

A very good review, but I doubt I'll pick up this set, to much 'playable' for my taste and not enough 'display', which as an AFOL is what I tend to pick my LotR sets with in mind.

Won't stop me from BL'ing at least Radagast though, gorgeous model!

The tower side connects to DGA through 2 pins.

Thanks!

I Hope to find out on Christmas morning :-)....... Well if I am not roped into playing skylanders with my son all day... :-)

So, how does it look like? Is it worth it?

Nice review!

I bought this set a few weeks ago, mainly because it had a really nice discount (50% off). I only recently had the time to build it, but it was a real nice built. The set is better than I expected, it has a nice, spooky feeling and it is bigger than I thought it would be. And the minifigs are really good, escpecially Radagast.

Well, I just finished building this and can sympathize with many opinions given already. There are some creative techniques. I like the way they have installed some trap functions. My kids really enjoy them. After seeing both movies so far, this set actually seems to represent the footage from AUJ more than DOS. This is where I remember seeing the statue and courtyard. Only the appearance of Azog and the Gundabad orcs seem to really make this a DOS setting. I think Azog was done well. The Gundabad orcs are not too bad, but I like the ones from the smaller set better due to the addition of hair as well as a more appealing weapon selection.

Not much to say about Gandalf. We all knew one set had to have him, and this was it. Radagast is done really well. He is the main draw for buying this as far as I am concerned. The one thing that surprised me was that there was not an additional feather from his cap provided in the extra parts assortment. After all, Lego is usually good about providing extras of really small stuff like that.

Then there is the Necromancer. This really could have been done differently. A black cape and a black version of the head crown piece used for Savage Opress in the Star Wars Sith Nightspeeder would have significantly helped to make him appear a bit more menacing without compromising the shadowy feel. Glow in the dark elements might have worked. I consider the Necromancer figure the second most disappointing thing about this wave (the first being no Smaug).

It is not really a terrible set in my mind, but there were certainly some missed opportunities that brought it to a level of mediocrity in some ways.

I'm so tired of sets without baseplates. Would it really kill Lego to go back to casting single-piece 'mountain with dungeon' plates like they used to for all serious castles and castle-like constructions? It gave these things a presence they just lack nowadays.

the only thing i can complain about this set is the azog minifigure , the head is too far away from the shoulders and it just gives it an odd look , regarding the rest of the set it's up to TLG standards so i bought it

So I finally got round to watching the Desolation of Smaug on download, but when it got to the Necromancer scene (one of the few good bits) my main thought was "why doesn't he look even remotely like the Lego minifig?"

In fact, when not in swirling black cloud form, he looks pretty much like the cool Sauron in armour from the prologue of Fellowship of the Ring. ie. Alot closer to the 'Mouth Of Sauron' minifig than this set's bare black minifig with glowing green nipples. A decent Sauron figure with cool helmet might have pushed this set over the line for me, but as is, it's a definate 'pass'.