• Poor

11153822016_2ab5557013_o.png

Set name: Splitter Beast vs. Furno and Evo

Set number: 44021

Piece Count: 108

Year Released: 2014

Price: $19.99 USD, 19,99 EUR (?)

Useful Links:

Splitter beast. The savior of Makuhero city, lighting our darkest hour with a streetlamp.

Or something like that.

Since we saw pictures of this pop up, he has been one of the main subjects of debate. How exactly does he split? What do the two forms look like? (Admittedly, people have spent more time dissecting Evo XL.) Let's uncover these mysteries and take a closer look at this massive beast.

Before we begin, I'd like to once again thank The Lego Company and the Eurobricks Staff who made it possible for me to bring these reviews to you today. I'd also like to make a point about the release dates of these sets: For the majority of the world, the sets will be released on Janurary 1st, but they will not see a U.S. release until March 1st.

Packaging

Bag Front

10950534103_7eca08cc9a_z.jpg

The very large bag shows Splitter Beast charging forward while the Heroes attempting to trip him with an orange chain. I hope they have stabilizers on their feet, because it's going to be difficult to trip something whose leg strength is most likely superior to the heroes-He would just send them sprawling.

Bag Back

10950358316_7721c8f974_z.jpg

The back of the bag sparks a bit more interest. When I first received these sets, it was right before any CGI pics came out, and this is the first real chance I had at seeing the two separate beasts. Not much else to talk about here, you can see a lot of different languages of warnings dominate half of the bag. What we really care about though, is the contents. Before I get to that, i'd like to take this moment to show off the art I keep mentioning on the bottom of the bags. This was the only set that i could actually get a successful picture of the bottom.

Bag Bottom

10856532716_a0db2dda2c_z.jpg

Here is a look at the art on the bottom of the bags I keep talking about. I could only get a good picture of the art on Splitter Beast. basically all it is, is the art from the top of the bag in a monochrome scheme.

Contents

Instructions

11153968724_91e19605cf_o.png

Random Instruction Image

10950357486_b831c1ccfa_z.jpg

Once again, black is outlined in white, which helps to show the difference between the darker colors.

Part Inventory

10966764926_1e34faaf82_z.jpg

Something that really excites me about this set is that it has two of the printed piece (similarly Evo XL also comes with two of it's respective printed piece) Unless the set uses the printed piece in a centered position like Jaw Beast, I hate only having one in a set. Flyer beast is an example of this, with needless asymmetry. Having two of the printed piece here balances the set out and looks fantastic.

10966862824_6a5566b88f_z.jpg

Something else unique about this set, is that one of the heads is printed on the lower half of the new beast head, where the connection point for the neck is. This gives the beast a bigger lower jaw vs a larger upper jaw. And in this case, you can make a rather silly combo with the two beast head times. (Conversely, you also get a black variant of the upper head to complement the orange lower head. So combining that with one of the 3 black lower jaws from the other beasts means you can make a completely black head. :thumbup:

10966675275_aedb6b6a5c_z.jpg

The two new styles of feet can be combined into a larger foot. Perfect for making larger beasts who need some extra support. And for those of you looking to only get a few sets this year, this is a great pickup as you get both styles of feet.

10966928043_89c9a582eb_z.jpg

Here we have a look at the new minifigure components. The flame sword and chain are recolors, however they are fantastic to have in these colors and I very much look forward to getting more great recolors in the summer wave.

Minifigures

10966762786_c565b09324_z.jpg

As we begin to build the minifigures, we once more see the build that consists of the skeleton torso being used as the base. There are connection points on the arms and back of the legs for clips.

10966861044_42841c8305_z.jpg

The torso armor piece is compatible with standard minifig torsos. It has a hole so you can place on a 1x1 stud tile with a printed hero core on it. The minifig heads are a solid color, however the helmets are compatible with printed minifig heads, with eye holes that line up perfectly.

Front

10966673755_4e8349ed9a_z.jpg

This is the only set so far that gives you two figures. I quite enjoy this variation of Furno, which offers a nice flame sword whilst the one from jet machine comes with a pistol and a fire extinguisher. Evo is the same as the XL version, with a pistol. Between this, the XL Machine, and the Walker, Evo is already a bit stale. I would have liked to have seen a new hero in place of him here.

10966761516_4a07ef28a1_z.jpg

A bonus weapon is the trip chain. It's simple, but a strange build: The exo force claws are an odd choice of handle, and I think I prefer the black lightsaber handles that were used with Breez in the Flyer Beast set.

Smaller Kaiju

Build Photos

10966856024_0bc0d78374_z.jpg

The build of the smaller beast begins with an XT4 torso, and creates very simple legs. The smaller feet work quite well here.

10966855614_6114b2686a_z.jpg

The construction of the arms is the same as Jaw beast, but use some interest colorization of medium azure and trans neon orange.

11052984714_2d10d6b6d5_o.png

The head is constructed, however in order to allow for the two heads to have some clearance on the Splitter form, you have to build this rather long neck, which looks odd on the small beast.

Front

10966752996_448b626ab2_z.jpg

Small is an understatement. This really is a small Kaiju. Still large in relation to the Herofigs, but his head is larger than his body, and I can imagine this guy dragging his head around because his neck would snap if he held his head up for long. (Since we are on a roll with Pacific Rim comparisons, this guy makes me think of the baby Kaiju. Kept flopping around and thunking his head,I imagine this guy moving in a similar fashion. He also has an oddly "Cute" facial print, with less terrifying eyes than the other beasts.

Side

10966851044_2912545a93_z.jpg

From this view, you can see that his back half is a bit on the small side due to that torso piece. His legs are somewhat exposed, but if you used bones to extend his legs you might result with a second version of Jaw Beast. I like this guys strange proportions, they add to his personality.

Back

10966663325_1f24370d3b_z.jpg

Not much to say here, other than it's not his best angle. You can also see how the head is connected, via an axle connected to a socket piece.

Action Shot 1

11052873955_1cdd8b2193_o.png

I have no idea how else to pose this guy. It's just awkward to do, with his narrowly build hips and annoying tendancy to want to stay on all fours. Though I do think this guy should have been named jaw beast, his head is the primary focus here.

Comparison

10966663055_08e4a81da1_z.jpg

I keep comparing him to jaw beast, so let's have a quick look at the two of them. Obviously he's not a copy. The only similar thing is the arms. However this gives them both a similar overall look.

Larger Kaiju

Build Photos

10966761226_7129f2e8e9_z.jpg

With such a small Kaiju, you would hope the larger one will be more content worthy. The build begins with a standard torso, and the longest tail of the 3 main beasts.

10966859814_9ea14de61d_z.jpg

The legs add the larger feet and make use of the friction sockets. I have to say, these aren't the most useful thing right now. As time goes on and the joints get weaker, the added support might be useful. But what you have here is not a large figure with a lot of weight, it's just a lightweight tall figure with a figure on the back who can't weigh more than the wings on Flyer beast. I guess this is the same logic as used with the Super Hero sets we saw previously, and it does add some extra height. personally, I don't mind some extra friction joints for my collection, you can never go wrong with those. But as a design choice, they don't serve a major structural advantage.

10966859494_893e62ee84_z.jpg

Possibly one of the coolest components of the build is the light post. The tower that Flyer Beast uses is cool, but the lamp post is a great design. With that said, it's a bit huge in comparison to the minifigures.

10966925043_1e329c6dba_z.jpg

Some armor is added to the legs and the arm is attached.

10966924643_5aefc06f78_z.jpg

The second arm is added and chest armor with the upper chest plate is installed.

10966858124_962cb3fa15_z.jpg

As I said before, the orange head is the only head to feature the print on the lower jaw piece. Out of all the head prints, this one is my favorite, the the very menacing design.

10966758776_2277cd402c_z.jpg

Some spikes are added on to give it personality. This is the only head that takes advantage of the 2 holes on the lower jaw piece, the other 3 heads only use the horn on the upper piece.

Front

10966665495_712d94bee9_z.jpg

The finished set...Well, basically looks like Splitter beast minus a head. The design isn't anything revolutionary, though the hands add some character to his look, and the color scheme is a striking combination of medium azure, black, and trans neon orange. The head is out of place, being the only orange part in the set, and I would have been interested in seeing it in a trans neon orange. Though this would have caused some strange contrast to the other beast head; Regardless, I still like the overall look here.

Side

10966852044_e823d36eec_z.jpg

Not much to say here, though this set manages to make use of that long neck; Due to the design of the flipped head, it creates a very "ogre" look or something like that, giving him a natural flowing look.

Back

10966753456_79c393c6e5_z.jpg

Here you can see that the connection point for the two. If you took any of the Kaiju and modded their torsos slightly, you could really make any of them combine with this guy (Except Jaw Beast would need a neck extension)

Action Shot 1

10966922783_1ac68b5ff3_z.jpg

He does look quite menacing, and as a stand alone figure is more of a threat than the smaller, rather cute looking counterpart.

Action Shot 2

10966669235_2aab14e7df_z.jpg

The length of the tail gives you the ability to pull off this pose, which has the added character of the claws and open jaw. Here is also where the big feet and friction hips come in handy, he can pull off some body tilts and balances that would make some other figures fall over. I really love the personality these beasts have, and have been able to pull off some really great stuff with them so far.

Splitter Beast

Front

10966667505_5599b2c3da_z.jpg

Once you plop the smaller guy onto the back, you are left with this. It's basically just the bigger kaiju with a second head, and spikey protrusions coming out of his back. The clawed feet on the sides of his torso add some needed bulk-And actually gave me a moment of nostalgia as I though about Irnakk. That's a rather obscure thought, isn't it?

Side

10966667155_ebafa89fd1_z.jpg

10966853434_3884524358_z.jpg

As I said before, you really could swap the back beast out for another beast. The great thing about the medium azure is that all of the figures have it, so no matter what you put on the back of this guy, that color remains constant. Something about these two just seems to flow. I can imagine these beasts getting into fights with their fellow beasts, but they are perfectly happy to join together when the time is right, and have a special mutual bond.

Well, it's my universe and I'll interpret the story in my own way. I just like the character it gives them. Again personality is showing through with these sets.

Back

10966755586_943a4ac298_z.jpg

The best part about this form is that it armors the back quite well, and I do like the way the arms are folded out to act as little "wing" decor.

Action Shot

10966662475_0218b6c8c9_z.jpg

When the big one falls, the little one gets ready to split off and attack. It's a rather cool concept, but I'll be redesigning the smaller one to have wings. I always though at first that was what he would have, but I was mistaken as to his design.

Action Shot 2

11153968073_20a34df574_o.png

From this angle, Splitter Beast does look quite large and terrifying.

Overall, Splitter beast is a nice set, but not at all what I was expecting. I like the concept of it, however I do not think that the smaller beast is really enough on it's own to warrant the splitting function. The larger kaiju looks hardly different with or without the smaller beast, it's all a matter of that second head really. For $20 I'm not I'd recommend this to everyone, only those who are a big fan of the theme, design, or parts. I do enjoy the larger kaiju, but if I had to buy this set, I think I would wait for it to go on sale before jumping at the chance. The beasts are nothing revolutionary and really the main draw here is the concept of the set itself, not entirely the overall look. Hoever, you do get two minifigures in addition, and to some that may be a great draw point to the figure.

Very weak set. Instead of a two-headed monster build, we just get two generic humanoids forced to look like a two-headed guy. And it doesn't work so well for parts, either. The azure bones are a huge turn off and the price is not funny. It even has two minfiigures that are already in other sets, Evo being in already two other sets. I pass.

I saw on the bag that this year Poland has got its part in producing Lego sets for the first time. I wonder what is produced here. Well, the set doesn't look like it is worth as much as Dragon Bolt or Furno XL. Without minifigures and a few armor pieces it could be sold for 12$. Anyway, thanks for the review.

Good review. I do notice you called out the fire sword as a new piece, though, and it's not actually new — it's identical to Kai's elemental fire blade from the Ninjago sets 70500 Kai's Fire Mech and 70505 Temple of Light, minus the handle. Overall, Splitter Beast does not seem quite as impressive as early pics made him seem, but at the same time, the combined form is still quite nice, and he's a fantastic parts pack.

The fact that the feet can be combined is awesome, though you would want to space them out a bit more if you wanted to take advantage of both ball cups. Thankfully, there's nothing stopping you from doing this. Beyond that, it's nice to just have some great new feet, particularly since they don't on their own have obtrusive protruding heels.

I'm fairly confident the decision to use Evo again in this set is ultimately because the designers plan to keep the other four heroes — Stringer, Surge, Bulk, and Nex — exclusive to the summer wave.

Wow! Love the art on the bottom of the bag! Those feet look great together!

I actually like the smaller Kaiju, he looks cute!

They look really great together, and have great parts! I'll be getting this (in March). :hmpf_bad:

So, is the three headed one a combo?

Good review. I do notice you called out the fire sword as a new piece, though, and it's not actually new — it's identical to Kai's elemental fire blade from the Ninjago sets 70500 Kai's Fire Mech and 70505 Temple of Light, minus the handle.

Aye I just clarified that a bit more.

So, is the three headed one a combo?

Yes, it is

This one looked better on the prelim pics. The splitting function is a good idea, but the design on the smaller beast is very poor, his head is too big for it's body. Although I will buy it beacuse when connected the two headed form is brutally good looking. Also the combineable feet pieces are very badass.

Edited by Csacsa234

This set's pretty great. The smaller beast is pretty terrible, but when combined, it works out alright. I think I'll make this set my first pickup.

Great review.

Wait.. so that's why the main Beast looks bulky despite its arms directly attacking to the torso shoulders (which would make scuh a tall figure look very lanky, like Black Phantom). Because it doesn't use the large torso, but a normal-sized, wide-shoulders one. If others already knew this, then forgive me for being so slow. That means that the main Beast, sans its head, is as tall as Stormer 2.0 or a 2013 small Hero.

I'm dumbfounded at how...short these new sets are. Mid size figures as tall as small figures, with only slightly taller large sets...and then there's Jaw Beast.. I get that they're still huge compared to the minifigs, but one doesn't pay just for the pieces, but for a figure of a worthy size. I guess I should have seen that coming, the 2013 sets were pretty short, but the Heroes, especially Furno, were of a decent size, still worthy of their price.

I'm disappointed the head is orange, though- as I said on the 2014 HF topic, tr. reddish orange is far closer to bright red than to bright orange. Tr. bright orange, the colour used for the chains (and a colour I'd like to see in HF, especially for cladding), is better matched with orange or "Keetongu/Jetbug yellow". BA Bulk had the same problem. They should've made the head tr. reddish orange, or the rest of the tr. reddish orange pieces bright orange...which is probably what I'm going to do (I'll have to replace with claws, though).

Despite this long rant, I can't deny that this set still looks really, really cool. In fact I do really love it, it's really the best looking Beast IMO. Just because I plan to heavily mod a set doesn't mean I don't like it, quite the opposite- it means I see a lot of potential in it, otherwise I'd just buy as a parts pack.

Thanks for the review(s)!

I'm fairly confident the decision to use Evo again in this set is ultimately because the designers plan to keep the other four heroes — Stringer, Surge, Bulk, and Nex — exclusive to the summer wave.
Totally agreed. Can't wait to see what Lego is planning for those 4.

Wait.. so that's why the main Beast looks bulky despite its arms directly attacking to the torso shoulders (which would make scuh a tall figure look very lanky, like Black Phantom). Because it doesn't use the large torso, but a normal-sized, wide-shoulders one. If others already knew this, then forgive me for being so slow. That means that the main Beast, sans its head, is as tall as Stormer 2.0 or a 2013 small Hero.

I'm dumbfounded at how...short these new sets are. Mid size figures as tall as small figures, with only slightly taller large sets...and then there's Jaw Beast.. I get that they're still huge compared to the minifigs, but one doesn't pay just for the pieces, but for a figure of a worthy size. I guess I should have seen that coming, the 2013 sets were pretty short, but the Heroes, especially Furno, were of a decent size, still worthy of their price.

Personally, I think figures being sized according to their price point creates more problems than it solves. I disliked how the length of the medium-sized hero legs in 2012 was so huge compared to the size of the body and was grateful when the medium-sized 2013 sets dropped the length of the lower legs down a module (I had already modded my Breakout Breez with shorter arms and legs, and was glad that Brain Attack Stormer and Surge didn't need any modding of that kind). Kids and adults alike should be able to appreciate that there's more to the value of a set than just its height — a higher-priced set is generally armored better and given more accessories than a lower-priced set, and it's pointless to stretch it out like taffy just to add to the perceived value when the REAL value has already been increased.

All things considered, Splitter Beast is made up of two figures: one that's about the same size as a $15 set, and another that's maybe half the size of a $10 set. Since the total price of Splitter Beast is $20 that seems perfectly equitable to me.

Edited by Aanchir

Nope. An Irnakk Reference is not at all obscure. To me at least...

But I can't see how it's similar to Irnakk...Oh, wait, you mean the bulk! Now I see it!

Hell yes. The head looks slightly out of place, but the set as a whole is without a doubt my favorite of this wave.

Nope. An Irnakk Reference is not at all obscure. To me at least...

But I can't see how it's similar to Irnakk...Oh, wait, you mean the bulk! Now I see it!

Well actually I think it's the smaller kaiju's claws that get wrapped around his torso; Irnakk's build has two piraka torsos back to back with a claw on each side to hold the zamor spheres in, and I just felt that somewhat here.

Personally, I think figures being sized according to their price point creates more problems than it solves. I disliked how the length of the medium-sized hero legs in 2012 was so huge compared to the size of the body and was grateful when the medium-sized 2013 sets dropped the length of the lower legs down a module (I had already modded my Breakout Breez with shorter arms and legs, and was glad that Brain Attack Stormer and Surge didn't need any modding of that kind). Kids and adults alike should be able to appreciate that there's more to the value of a set than just its height — a higher-priced set is generally armored better and given more accessories than a lower-priced set, and it's pointless to stretch it out like taffy just to add to the perceived value when the REAL value has already been increased.

All things considered, Splitter Beast is made up of two figures: one that's about the same size as a $15 set, and another that's maybe half the size of a $10 set. Since the total price of Splitter Beast is $20 that seems perfectly equitable to me.

I agree that Heroes do not need to be sized to their price point, I don't like when they are too tall or awkwardly built (Just look at the Rocka from Jet Rocka) Villains I think should be, as it adds more dimension and character to them. The instructions all show Splitter beast as being as big as Evo XL, whereas the set itself is not even close. You are correct that this is like a $15 and a $5 set put together, however the end result is a set the size of a $15 set. Part count may be in a good league, but he does seem quite small. I have a feeling the sets in the summer wave will focus more on the beasts and give them the larger set, but we will see. (Besides I'm sure those pics will be popping up within the next two months, release dates aside they still have ToyFair to meet)

This is my favorite set out of the entire line, it has so much potensal for mocing that it is insane! Will have to get it!

I think Splitter Beast is my favourite set of this line. The Large Beast has a cool design, and his Small Buddy adds to it in a nice way.

With me i don't find this as a good set, the leg have lack of armor and IMO it be better if the upper legs of those armor upside down and the lower leg a little longer and have a 6 size armor or Shoulder Armor upside down in orange (so that it can fit with the color). The arms are good but i think the upper arm should be better black and same with the chest armor, it just don't look right to me with those color, The lower arm/hand are good and i also love that light post but it a little too big to be one unless it supposed to be something else.

The little Kaiju is not that good but they did used the small body, so i don't think we are going to see something awesome from that (but that small body is really cute :purrr: ) but i do think they should have done a little bit more with the legs IMO.

Both Kaiju as one, well i don't like it the body having those feet on it side don't look right to me but the two head are great and fit together vary well. The colors well it really bad IMO, there are not a lot of Orange (aka there only one piece with orange) and the Pearl Dark Gray don't fit at all with the set plus on one side i think it be great if it have a printed chest armor but are another i don't think it will look that good.

The Minifiures well you already know are i think about them by now but i do miss Evo purple head from the 2.0 (I wish they one had a purple head :sad: ) but i don't get why Furno have a Sword but i do like those piece so i'm not going to say anything else about it, the trans-orange chain look amazing and i can't wait to use it in one of my MOCs.

Overall to me, i don't like it and to me it's mostly only good for parts.

You and these links. WHY? Why do you need to put links? Oh wait, you don't.

Well, in the case of the shoulder armor link, a link is rather useful. "Shoulder armor" by itself is incredibly vague and subjective — that piece is only used for shoulders occasionally, and pretty much just as often as forearms, so it's not a very specific name.

I have to say I agree on your points, ShadowWolfHount. SB's colour scheme looks cool at first glance, but then you realize it's quite a mess. Tr. reddish orange and solid o

range don't look good together, and no Beast uses titanium metallic, which on the other hand is heavily used by the Machines (ruins the colour language, IMO). Still, I get why it's like that. The t. metallic chest and 4M shells, the tr. reddish orange claws and 3M shells..they're all recolours introduced in 2013. Seems they're just reusing unused parts to cut costs.

Well, as for Evo I grew fond of the idea of him having blue eyes, that red head just looks totally random (just like it did in 2012).

Have reserved this at Argos. Looking forward to getting up close and personal, and delving into those parts. VBBN has said that this is essentially the Beast builder's essentials kit, which drew me in.