42024 Container Truck Rating  

123 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Thanks for the review, Jim/Ted. Great lighting in the pictures.

Not bad for non-flagship set. I may get it eventually.

There is not a comparison with the set 8258. Only the set 42009 may have it, but it lose anyway. Of course, in my opinion :)

8258 is a great looking truck. Given it's high rating amongst our fellow forum members and lego builders/collectors around the world, it would in my opinion, have made sense to continue that look. I like the new wheels, and I actually like the idea of a skip truck, I'm just not a big fan of the execution considering previous trucks.

Jim, I love the review and the pictures by the way

Thanks

H

I think you stil can't beat 8479 Barcode truck keeping in mind it was a set from 1997.

Yes. Another one that got away.

H

Excellent review and amazing photography! I'm glad you got the set early and could share it with all of us.

Thanks! Me too :wink:

Took me quite some time, but it is fun to do. I still have some unbuilt models. Maybe I will review them as well.

Very good and detailed review!

I especially like your photography. :wub: Sharp, crisp details - perfect background.

I wished I would be able to do such great photos of my Lego. :look:

And your summary of the new parts and the total summary is very nice, too. A new standard for upcoming reviews? :wink:

Thank you very much, Jim

Very good and detailed review!

I especially like your photography. :wub: Sharp, crisp details - perfect background.

I wished I would be able to do such great photos of my Lego. :look:

And your summary of the new parts and the total summary is very nice, too. A new standard for upcoming reviews? :wink:

Thank you very much, Jim

Thanks for the compliments!

Can't speak for other reviewers, but when I will do a review, this will be the standard :sweet::thumbup:

Took me quite some time, but it is fun to do and the appreciation is very motivating. So more reviews will probably follow.

And I am working on improving the 360 degree view experience, so that will even be better in the future.

Excellent Review of course. Can you tell our Mod is a Lego 'Purist' ? ... as even the turntable for the 360 view is made out of Lego!!!

Hey I just tried out that 360 view, it's awesome on iPod! You get to spin it round with your finger xD

The only thing I would do to make it better is add a few more pictures so it seems to run smoother, ATM it's great but seems a little "laggy". :)

Another great review!

Sadly this set does absolutely nothing for me and the color scheme and design are not interesting at all. I think 8052 is a lot nicer in both looks and function.

Hey I just tried out that 360 view, it's awesome on iPod! You get to spin it round with your finger xD

The only thing I would do to make it better is add a few more pictures so it seems to run smoother, ATM it's great but seems a little "laggy". :)

Glad you like it!

The "lag" is partially because of the connection to the website and performance of the browser. The 42 images take up 16MB. I can double the images, but that will obviously use 32MB. And sometimes the browser doesn't keep up with the animation, so increasing the number of images won't help. I was thinking of making it downloadable. It tends to run better locally. So next time, I might take a lot more pictures and make a download available.

I can also try a lower resolution, but that will obviously lose some detail. There's a trade off between resolution and animation smoothness.

In my experience, when the images are fully loaded and you have spun the model around a few times, the images are loaded/cached and the animation runs smoothly.

Excellent Review of course. Can you tell our Mod is a Lego 'Purist' ? ... as even the turntable for the 360 view is made out of Lego!!!

Actually I tried to make a turntable out of wood first, but that didn't work so well with the lighting. I needed to edit every images, which will take forever. Best thing would be to have a professional photography turntable, but those thing set you back around 1000 bucks, minimum. And after all; we're doing Lego reviews, so why not use Lego to build something.

Now I am thinking about making an NXT turntable, since I have two units collecting dust anyway. I will need a base with several (modifiable) attachments to hold different sized models.

I think lego have made this set and the team building set only slightly more interesting than average due to the interesting parts

plus they're great for younger builders....

Very very veeery nice review Jim, thank you very much. When i first saw this set, i was sure i was not going to buy it, but now that i see this review, i will get it as soon as it hits the stores. Not the prettiest truck made by Lego (but prettier then 42008), but i like the colors and the fact that it comes without PF: I have enough sets with PF and never use them.

Loving your reviews.

It looks weird that the chains link to the container on the upper rim. I think usually it is on the side. There are many little things on this set that don't look quite right or good..

Was hoping for a full rc rally car, the sets ok but a push along skip lorry does not fire my imagination. :sceptic:

Good review :classic: I wouldn't mind if the truck itself was blue, although the container would have had to be in another color then. It's been too few sets of that size in blue, I think.

Edited by Error404

What a strange looking truck. Until the catalog preview picture a few months back, I've never seen something like that. Thanks for the review Jim.

Question, I've built many Technic models, but what is that round part that looks like a tear drop key hole? It's part #4210759. Never seen that part before either!

Edit: Looks that it's in the 42009, which I haven't started building. Still in the closet. LOL

Edited by FuzzyBallz

Question, I've built many Technic models, but what is that round part that looks like a tear drop key hole? It's part #4210759. Never seen that part before either!

That part has been out since at least the mid '90s. My Nighthawk helicopter from that era had two of them on the control stick, and I believe my Rebel Wrecker set had some on the front suspension as well. It can be a very useful part to have.

What part are you talking about? I can't find it, not even on BrickLink, and looking through the pics in the review doesn't bring me anything.

Edited by Error404

A cam wheel, it's for engines, LPE's more specifically. A very useful piece, also useful for lever arms for moving pneumatic switches, making 1/2 stud offsets, and much more. One of the most useful pieces IMO.

Very nice review indeed Jim. The format reads very well and also a big :thumbup: for the 360 view.

Will be a set to add to my wanted list.

When do next years sets generally become available to purchase? :classic:

What part are you taking about? I can't find it, not even on BrickLink, and looking through the pics in the review doesn't bring me anything.

If I remember correctly, I've even put a link in my review. It's the Technic Cam.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6575

Very nice review indeed Jim. The format reads very well and also a big :thumbup: for the 360 view.

Will be a set to add to my wanted list.

When do next years sets generally become available to purchase? :classic:

Thanks! I have tried to vary in pictures size, so that the review isn't a big list of huge pictures. This improved the readability (imho).

I am working on a generic setup for 360 viewing, for future reviews :thumbub:

These sets will be available around January 15th if I am not mistaken. Even the plane!

Welcome to EB by the way! Nice to have you on board!