Sign in to follow this  
AdrianB2014

REVIEW: 21019 Eiffel Tower

Set Name: Eiffel Tower

Set #: 21019

Theme: Architecture

Pieces: 321 + 3 spares = 324 pieces (more on that later)

Year of Release: 2014

Price at Release: EUR 45/USD ???

INTRODUCTION

Today i received my brand new 2014 21019 Eiffel Tower, and i decided to do a review of it.s

This brings my LEGO Architecture collection to 20 sets, the only one that i am missing is the 21001 Hancock Center. I was fortunate enough to be in the US at the time of the 21050 Architecture Studio launch so i snatched it instantly. Maybe i will do a review of that also.

Anyway, on to the review:

THE BOX

FRONT:

11139109915_01435e8afc_c.jpg

_DSC0827 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

BACK:

11139102145_b4e84cf8ff_c.jpg

_DSC0829 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

SIDE:

11139181074_0e237927c1_c.jpg

_DSC0828 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

UNBOXING:

Enjoy your building experience! (I did):

11139136886_0890781d3b_c.jpg

_DSC0830 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Contents:

11139134326_152d1ce332_c.jpg

_DSC0831 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

The Booklet:

11139130216_1fdee40c62_c.jpg

_DSC0832 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Being printed in portrait mode, it is a little bit hard to keep open without some help.

BUILD:

The parts...

11139153764_f459b5162e_c.jpg

_DSC0835 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Closeup of the more unusual parts...

11139257553_9df3ece5ee_c.jpg

_DSC0836 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Coincidentally or not, this set has exactly 324 pieces (including the french name plate and the spares), which is the exact height in meters of the real tower. :classic:

So the construction begins...

The base is ready.

11139141334_4120b2bdab_c.jpg

_DSC0838 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

The build is structured into three parts: The base, the median part, and the top:

The base and the median part...

11139098736_08fe2f55b7_c.jpg

_DSC0840 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Connected,.,

11139234223_aaa3029340_c.jpg

_DSC0842 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

The top completed...

11139085356_6eaff4880c_c.jpg

_DSC0843 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

And is done.

COMPLETED MODEL:

11139223633_8bb4cd729d_c.jpg

_DSC0844 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

The completed model looks stunning.

Closeup of the base and the nameplate:

11139106864_62fa5c2b65_c.jpg

_DSC0846 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

"Aerial" view:

11139103104_3dcfb1781e_c.jpg

_DSC0847 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

Another angle:

11139025945_983faaecf7_c.jpg

_DSC0848 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

And another...

11139056626_c9f60e5536_c.jpg

_DSC0850 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

From the top:

11139193183_4711147a9a_c.jpg

_DSC0852 by adrian.baias, on Flickr

MODEL ACCURACY: I haven't seen the real thing in person but to me it looks pretty spot on at this size.

CONCLUSIONS AND SCORE:

Design: 10/10 It couldn't get any closer to the real thing at this size.

Build: 9/10 A little repetition, but overall nice building techniques.

Parts: 7/10 Good grey/dark grey assortment, but nothing too special aside from a few pieces.

Value: I could not give it a value as i'm collecting all of them even if i pay a little more. But at 45 Euros, i think this is in the standard price range for an Architecture set.

Overall: 10/10 I'm a little bit subjective here, but i believe is one of the best Architecture sets. Definitely top three for me. It looks great as a display piece and it has the perfect size and proportions. I recommend it heavily.

Thank you for reading and i hope i didn't bore you with my first review.

Adrian.

Edited by AdrianB2014

Thanks for the great review. I have to admit that I find the building outstanding as well. I may try to build it with my existing collection. In fact, I do not see any uncommon parts.

I suppose I have to ask myself two questions. First, do I like this as a representation of the actual building? No. I like 10181. Do I like it as a caricature of a famous building as seen in so many of the other Lego architecture series offerings? Yes.

Thanks for the review, appreciate you taking the time to give us all an early view of this new offering.

And, yes, I'll buy it as I have all of the others in the series and I'm a completist.

Outstanding review! :thumbup: I might just have to get this set. And it's really cool that it has 324 pieces, I doubt that was a coincidence. :blush:

Nice review. I think Lego did a great job reducing it to this size and yet keeping its appearance.

I am so so jealous I want this set badly. I have emailed the store in France to see if I can buy one and get it shipped to Scotland it would make my Christmas if they agree to.

Thanks for the review. This set looks amazing. I'd say spot on to the size and shape of what is expect. I've seen a custom that is amazing, but this looks great for an official set. I will definitely buy two when I can, one for me and one for my daughter who claims this to be her favorite tower (she's 4).

I am so so jealous I want this set badly. I have emailed the store in France to see if I can buy one and get it shipped to Scotland it would make my Christmas if they agree to.

gregrichards - I'm from Romania and lebonmarche shipped it in two days. So i think they may ship to Scotland too. :classic:

Nice review but shouldn't the Eiffel Tower be 'Dark Tan' rather than 'Dark bluish gray'?

I agree with you.

Same comment was made long ago about the large Lego version of the Eiffel Tower. While I agree the color on both Lego versions is 'off', apparently it's no big deal to most people. Including me.

I really like this set, great job on the review, but 45 euro for a 324 piece set? holy cow, that's $60 USD or more, most sets this size have been in the $20 range, that's nuts for 3 x the price. For ex, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is $34.99 at Legoshop.com and is 345 pieces...so it has to be comparable in size and such and it is almost twice that amount....wondering what is going on here for this piece at that price. Even the UN HQ is $50 for 600 pieces.

Edited by Herky

For these Architecture models, the $ price is the same as the € price (34.99 € for Pisa, 49.99 € for UN HQ), so if the Eiffel tower is 45 € it may be $45.

good to know, but that sort of rips off the folks using Euros, I think the exchange rate is around 1 e to 1.35 or 1.40 dollars right now

Thank you for letting me know the store that sells the Eiffel Tower in France lebonmarche I have ordered it and I am getting it shipped to the UK. I am so excited this Christmas I will have horizon express, the United Nations building and last but not least the Eiffel Tower. I may buy Parisian restaurant to sit beside the Eiffel Tower to finish it off.

Hope everyone has a Merry Lego Christmas and enjoys the sets they receive. Thank you for the wonderful review. I am looking forward to Marina Bay Sands and other sets coming next year.

This is an awesome set that uses some brilliant building techniques to replicate the real landmark. Personally, I like it a lot more than 10181, even if it is slightly simplified and stylized (and of course, much smaller).

on the rumors thread, tragic banjo said found this at the B&N site listed for a sell price in January of $35 USD

I can't buy this from Bon Marche as they won't permit l' Etats Unis as a country in the address blocks.

:(

Are you sure they haven't spelt USA in a different way. I couldn't find United Kingdom and had to search for it in the drop down address menu in French it took a while to find it. It says on the website they sell internationally and deal with US dollars. I sent a message to customer services and they were very helpful you could try them and ask if they ship to the USA. I got my Eiffel Tower two days after I ordered it my mum is giving it to me on Christmas Day along with the UN building and horizon express and I can't wait to build them.

I was able to edit my address in my profile to include the US as my country, but when I tried to actually place an order it errors out and says that there are no shipping options to my country.

The double space between "The" and "Eiffel" on the printed tile looks untidy. For the rest, looks like a nice set, well thought out construction.

Nice review of a really intriguing set! I'm really starting to get into these architect sets.