Sign in to follow this  
Cap't black brick

A Website like Eurobricks... for clone brands!

(Hopefully this was posted in the right place)

The other day, just for fun, I googled "megablocks" forum... and found this

Screen+shot+2013-11-30+at+1.07.58+PM.png

After some more browsing of this website, I happened upon the Vehicles, Structures and scenes forum.

Screen+shot+2013-11-30+at+1.15.23+PM.png Look familiar?

Yes, it looks very, very close to the Eurobricks,

apparently these people mix a bit of lego and a lot clone brick brands (KRE-O, Mega blocks, etc...)

Anyway, thought Id bring it up.

here is the Link

(Hopefully this was posted in the right place)

Clone brands go in Community. I'll move this.

Kind of neat that MB does have a decent community and a place to find it. Although they do seem a tad bitter and fanboy'ish on some of those threads. It looks something like EB simply because of the underlying forum engine.

I never quite understand the rampant tribalism in some hobbies? Granted I'm not a huge rabid MB fan. I have some issues with the somewhat erratic nature of some of their sets. I have a few World of Warcraft sets. Some are fantastic (Sha of Anger) Some are exercises in frustration to build (Frozen Throne, Gates of Stormwind) and some don't really even feel like brick sets (the rocket and Kitty mount set). But they do have so e fairly cool licences. The Halo stuff looks well executed.

(leaps from the underbrush)

The Bloks Forum also looks like 99% of all forums on the Internet. I'm missing your point :wink:

And to Faefrost's point, some of the regulars are a little "bitter and fanboy'ish", I agree, but it's largley reactionary due to how discussions about non-LEGO brands are treated on other block sites and pretty much everywhere on the web. But what we can agree on is that without LEGO, none of us would be in this hobby, no matter which manufacturer's bricks float our boats. nuts.gif

But what we can agree on is that without LEGO, none of us would be in this hobby, no matter which manufacturer's bricks float our boats. nuts.gif

I think you need to brush up on your lego history! Lego copied the brick from Kiddicraft. if Kiddicraft had never invented the 'interlocking brick' there would have been no brick design for lego to steal. So without lego, we may have all been building from Kiddicraft bricks instead, which ironically makes lego the original clone brand!

However one does wonder that if it was left to Kiddicraft, whether we would have had anything like the bricks we have today...

Edited by Heppeng

Thought that was well known? It is pretty much admitted by TLG these days but it was a black secret a few years ago. I am still seeking a few examples of the original brick...

One day!

I think you need to brush up on your lego history! Lego copied the brick from Kiddicraft. if Kiddicraft had never invented the 'interlocking brick' there would have been no brick design for lego to steal. So without lego, we may have all been building from Kiddicraft bricks instead, which ironically makes lego the original clone brand!

However one does wonder that if it was left to Kiddicraft, whether we would have had anything like the bricks we have today...

Ah,I knew that. My point was that LEGO is where we probably all started, so no matter what anyone says negativly about them, everyone had to have enjoyed their Danish bricks at some point. I don't think any of us got into the hobby by starting out with Kiddicraft blocks...unless there are some real old-timers lurking around here. nuts.gif

I'd love to find some Kiddicraft bricks knocking around as well. Better yet, a bunch so I could try and build something.

The Bloks Forum is not new for me and, I guess, some other guy here. Down there I did read some of the most idiot and hateful rant about our beloved brick... and then them complain if we mock their rubbish.

On one thing I agree with 'em: TLG has gone a bit away with its educating mission, though I don't think it's because sold its soul.

I've used that forum, a long time ago they helped me reconstruct an MB mech that I didn't have instructions for. Like most things (video game systems, computers, phones, etc), there's a handful of people who are blindly loyal to a brand. Happens here and it happens there.

I never quite understand the rampant tribalism in some hobbies?

LOL, that is a huge part of most hobbies. Human beings seem to have an innate need to form "tribes". Sports fans choose a team, model railroaders choose a scale, Star Wars vs Star Trek, etc, etc. For the most part good-natured rivalries and gentle ribbing add an element of competition that enhances enjoyment and builds group identity. While tribalism can certainly be taken to extremes in any hobby I prefer rampant tribalism within hobbies to the variety that is practiced in real-world politics. I would rather see people insulting people for choosing clone brands than for the colour of their skin or their choice of sky god.

model railroaders choose a scale

Oh yeah. Every time I think the LEGO vs Clone Brands argument is getting nasty and ignorant, I remember some of the "HO" vs "N" scale arguments I've overheard and it doesn't seem so bad :laugh: