Sign in to follow this  
BrickG

Lego Minifigure things they can improve?

I don't really think the short legs need articulation. However they definitely need printing. The Hobbits would have looked much better with printing on the legs.

Also I'm waiting for Lego to introduce another leg size. Something about a stud or so shorter than the regular legs to represent teenage characters. I mean we have legs to represent adults and children but we lack anything to represent teenagers, and there have been some characters that just don't look quite right being as tall as adults. Really one stud shorter would make all the difference.

That's a good point, I'd like to add that I would like back and perhaps side printing of the dress pieces. It's a shame that the dress minifig torsos have beautiful back printing, but the back of the dress slope piece is bare. Just doesn't look right.

I definitely agree, the lack of printing is disappointing. I also think they should mold another style of dress, that would at least give us some variation.

Also I'm waiting for Lego to introduce another leg size. Something about a stud or so shorter than the regular legs to represent teenage characters. I mean we have legs to represent adults and children but we lack anything to represent teenagers, and there have been some characters that just don't look quite right being as tall as adults. Really one stud shorter would make all the difference.

What characters?

Once people are 16 they are almost as tall as they are going to get, and there are plenty of adults shorter than plenty of teenagers. In other words, age and height are in a close relationship for children, but not so much after 13 or so. Also, one stud shorter isn't going to make much of a noticeable difference, IMO. I'd never say 'oh, that character is a stud shorter; must be a teenager'. I believe there's a more consistent aggregate difference between men and women when it comes to height than between adults and adolescents.

Padme was 14. I think Harry Potter and friends started as children and ended as adults (I'm not overly familiar with it). And honestly I'm tired of all adults just happening to be the same height. It's not the most needed element out there, but I would like to diversify my minifigure heights a little more. I just think there should be another leg height for the 12-16 crowd and to represent shorter adults. And I think another leg height would show physical growth better for characters that progressively age. I would just like to be able to show some difference in their ages, for Padme the only thing used to show aging is that the older one wears lipstick.

As for exact height it was just a general idea, one or two studs shorter would illustrate the difference well enough I think.

Minifigs with articulated short legs would be nice ad achievable, as shown in the Brick Fortress link provided by AmperZand a page back. Minifigs are meant to look a bit silly, and I dont think a sitting short-legged minifig would look any worse.

A purely personal issue for me (as a pro- yellow fig partisan) is to have torsos showing as little flesh color as possible. But the designers do seem to take this into account, so this issue seems to be getting better. Having yellow options of fleshie torsos would be great, but probably not justifiable.

As for more (or more detailed) printing, I say less is more. If the printing gets too elaborate, the older figs would look too out of place next to the new ones.

I mentioned in earlier post that I thought posable short legs were a bit silly and that I don't have a problem with the height of the dress slope, but one thing that WOULD certainly be useful is a dress design that is posable. I do not know exactly how this would best be achieved. The new Disney Princess mini-dolls have one, of course, but I do not know if a similar solution would be ideal for traditional minifigures, since it would have to be blockier, and without that part that trails behind I don't know how much it'd really resemble a dress or gown anyway. A textile element like the skirts from some of the Collectible Minifigures would probably limit posability, unless it were less stiff in which case it would look inconsistent with the torso and would be difficult to print. Still, castle banquet halls like in Hogwarts are extremely awkward when you can't have a proper seat for any female character in a dress, and swapping the dress for legs is an imperfect solution.

Honestly, I think minifigs are perfect the way they are. They are supposed to be simple, with limited articulation. I thought I read somewhere that the reason the short legs don't move is because they look silly in a sitting position.

The only thing I'd like to see is more leg, arm, and back printing, but in moderation. Minifigs are a "less is more" type of thing, and too much detail can ruin the figure. Need to leave some room for the imagination.

Totally agree. I love them the way they are. The only thing I would like to see more of are printed legs and arms (when necessary of course)

Just thought of something I would love to see, and I (for no reason) would love to see more variety in dress molds, for instance actual curved line at the bottom or wrinkles would be, well fun.

The minifig as a whole is quite squat. It's fun and fine in and of itself and there is no problem with it being an artistic direction the company continues along. But it's a pain in the butt when you try to make some real world vehicle and the minifigs look like kids because they are too short for their width.

I'd love it if the current minifig was designated as a child sized fig going forward (rather than the current short legged figs) and that taller figs be made with bending knees (at a minimum) and preferably elbows as well. The knee joints would could be much like the current hip joints in simplicity. I would not want the head changed like those horrible Jack Stone figures, nor the overall styling, again, like those horrible Jack Stone figures.

The Jack Stone stuff was so lame, trying to look cool but failing miserably. A lot of minifigs from the late 90s and early 2000s suffered from this in the same way though. Thankfully the quality of design now is much better and consistent. If the current design team put their mind to it and stuck to the classic styling of the minifig I'm sure they could work out a better and taller figure.

Edited by Naijel

IMO Jack Stone figures were great- the problem is they can't be dissasembled and mixed.

I wish Lego made a skirt piece like oxford:

81CARcsXoOL._SY355_.jpg

or at least gave us new slope piece with longer pegs like on legs...

I think it's one thing to create different moulds for things such as bending short legs, which are already available from third party companies, or to create a dress mould with some level of flexibility but the minifigure in general is a classic piece of design that doesn't need to change.

In 37 years it hasn't changed... Not due to a reluctance to change but because they got it right 37 years ago.

In a world of brick construction, even with a huge range of parts that is ever growing, we won't get perfect real world proportions but we don't need them because the proportions we have between minifigure and brick work already... It's part of their appeal. We certainly don't need to differentiate different ages of children between the short legs and regular sized ones.

Shoulder joints that work like the skeleton body but have the right amount of strength and friction for posing would be too large to keep the fig size the same and not look silly... If we're looking at that kind of modification were moving away from a minifig and into the Technic figure.

Short bendable legs would be nice, and not just for sitting. The difference between a normal sitting minifigure and short legged standing minifigure is negligible. Without bendable legs though, short legged figs lack tons of posability. They can't bend forwards or backwards at all, stand on one leg, etc.

As for the slope dresses making the females taller, I dont really buy the whole high heel explanation. The average woman's height (in the U.S.) is around 64 inches while the average male is around 70 inches. That means they are wearing at minimum 8 inch heels (keep in mine the slope makes them a few inches taller than the normal minifigure height)? Sorry, that seems fairly absurd.

I would love to see Lego minifigures have more flexibility in their shoulders but I don't think it's really possible without changing the look of the minifigure too drastically. They wouldn't mesh well with the past 40 years of minifigures we have gotten. With that said, I dont think the fragility would be too much of an issue. Sure it might take Lego a lot of work to get it right, but the stronger ABS plastic they use means it wouldn't be anywhere near as fragile as say the Megabloks figure.

Edited by Deathleech

Different heights of legs would be great as well. I get around the articulation by taking a arm from another minifig and adding to the opposite arm, so you get that reaching over look. Helps a lot for my minifigs that posed with a guitar.